By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts March 2022 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 940,303 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,274,571 - Wii

Total Lead: 5,108,309 - Wii

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 18,724,400

Wii Total Sales: 23,832,709

March 2022 is the 17th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Wii when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 940,303 units.

In the last 12 months, the Nintendo Wii has outsold the PlayStation 5 by 6.27 million units. The Nintendo Wii is ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 5.11 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 18.04 million units in 17 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 22.20 million units. Month 17 for the PlayStation 5 is March 2022 and for the Nintendo Wii it is March 2008.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 30 million in month 21, 40 million in month 26, and 50 million in month 32. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Oof!

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Switch.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

XSX|S Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 38,194 - XS

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,600,345 - NS

Total Lead: 5,112,496 - NS

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 13,789,391

Switch Total Sales: 18,901,887

March 2022 is the 17th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Switch by 38,194 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 4.60 million units. The Nintendo Switch is currently ahead by 5.11 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 13.79 million units in 17 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 18.90 million units. Month 17 for the Xbox Series X|S is March 2022 and for the Nintendo Switch it is July 2018.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 20 million units sold in month 19, 30 million in month 23, and 40 million in month 33. The Nintendo Switch has sold 106.44 million units through March 2022.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 109,015 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,324,299 - NS

Total Lead: 177,487 - NS

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 18,724,400

Switch Total Sales: 18,901,887

March 2022 is the 17th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Switch when compared to the aligned launch of the PS5 by 109,015 units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PS5 2.32 million units. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 177,487 units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 18.72 million units in 17 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 18.90 million units. Month 17 for the PlayStation 5 is March 2022 and for the Nintendo Switch it is July 2018.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 20 million units sold in month 19, 30 million in month 23, and 40 million in month 33. The Nintendo Switch has sold 106.44 million units through March 2022.

PS5 and Switch forming the same double helix pattern and Switch and PS4 followed for the first three years or so, based on their different release times relative to the holiday period.
Will be interesting to see whether Switch breaks away in year 4 as did versus the PS4, or whether improved supply allows PS5 to better keep pace.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

PS5 and Switch forming the same double helix pattern and Switch and PS4 followed for the first three years or so, based on their different release times relative to the holiday period.
Will be interesting to see whether Switch breaks away in year 4 as did versus the PS4, or whether improved supply allows PS5 to better keep pace.

PS5 has been falling behind the PS4 due to the shortages. I wouldn't be too surprised if shortages don't improve the PS5 doesn't retake the lead over the Switch this holiday.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

PS5 has been falling behind the PS4 due to the shortages. I wouldn't be too surprised if shortages don't improve the PS5 doesn't retake the lead over the Switch this holiday.

I was thinking more long term, as I expect the chip shortage will still be raging this holiday. Like, when we reach year 4, when the Switch went into hyperdrive, will the PS5's supply have improved enough by then (end of next year/2024) that it can avoid being left in the dust as PS4 was.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:

This is not like the PS4/Switch double helix pattern.  They traded first place depending on which system had the most recent holiday period.  In this graph the PS5 had the most recent holiday, and it's losing to the Switch.  This was also the Switch's weakest selling period in relative terms.  There was a huge lull in major software releases between Super Mario Odyssey in Oct 2017 and Super Mario Party in Oct 2018.  Switch had basically a full year without major software releases.  Once Switch gets to holiday 2018 it's sales become strong again though.

Basically, PS5 is not going to catch up to Switch again.  It's getting outsold during Switch's weakest software period.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

This is not like the PS4/Switch double helix pattern.  They traded first place depending on which system had the most recent holiday period.  In this graph the PS5 had the most recent holiday, and it's losing to the Switch.  This was also the Switch's weakest selling period in relative terms.  There was a huge lull in major software releases between Super Mario Odyssey in Oct 2017 and Super Mario Party in Oct 2018.  Switch had basically a full year without major software releases.  Once Switch gets to holiday 2018 it's sales become strong again though.

Basically, PS5 is not going to catch up to Switch again.  It's getting outsold during Switch's weakest software period.

PS5 is severely supply constrained at the moment though, I'm talking about what will happen once they can make and ship far more consoles instead of being constantly sold out due to the chip shortage.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

PS5 is severely supply constrained at the moment though, I'm talking about what will happen once they can make and ship far more consoles instead of being constantly sold out due to the chip shortage.

The chip shortage is going to have to end in the next 3-4 months in order for the PS5 to catch up to the Switch again.  Even then, once Switch hits its next holiday, that is going to be it for the PS5.  It's too far behind, and Switch sales just get bigger and bigger from the next holiday onward.