By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts March 2022 Discussion Thread

I knew this would happen but it feels surreal actually seeing this.

Around the Network

Boom. There it is.

I feel the same as Kakadu, as much as we knew it was coming it still almost doesn't feel real, when not so long ago the PS4 seemed untouchable and Nintendo was bogged the Wii U era mud.

Well deserved; here's to passing the PS4 globally.

SegaHeart said:
trunkswd said:

VGChartz was creating towards the start of the 7th generation. So we have weekly estimates starting with the DS, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3.

I checked the game DB upper left corner of the home page clicked platform and found Gameboy total sales in Japan is around 32 million.

The Gameboy is at 32.47mil in Japan. I think that's shipments.

SegaHeart said:
SegaHeart said:

bolded, after the Switch beats 3DS the next comparison should be Gameboy in Japan.

Kakadu18 said:

The Gameboy is at 32.47mil in Japan. I think that's shipments.

If Trunkswd has the bolded for 3DS at 24.67 million sold and Game DB has it 24.67 aswell, then it might be sold for Gameboy too?

I didn't get that number from VGChartz but from Wikipedia. The source is Nintendo and I'm to lazy to look through these endless documents so I can't be sure, but that number for Gameboy is most likely shipments.

3DS in Japan is about to join the pile of systems outsold by the Switch. I think Switch is going to break just about every lifetime sales record except for maybe some of the European ones. It's doing extremely well everywhere else though.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

Anything 6th generation and older in our database is lifetime sales only from official sources. 7th generation is estimates. Though lifetime sales I've made sure match official shipment figures for all discontinued consoles where available. 

What about the PS2? how did that 157.68 number was created ?

Shouldn't be 158 or even 160M ? there are some places such as IGN that reach the conclusion that PS2 has around 160M produced and sold.

Sony is saying that they have shipped 155 million units:

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html

Last edited by deerox - on 06 May 2022

trunkswd said:
deerox said:

Sony is saying  that it sold 155 million:

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html

155 million figure is through March 31, 2012. However, the PS2 wasn't discontinued until December 28, 2012 in Japan and January 4, 2013 worldwide. It is impossible to say how many PS2's were shipped from April 1, 2012 until it was discontinued.

I know, but it is the last official number that we got. For all we know, they could have not shipped a single PS2 after that.

trunkswd said:
deerox said:

I know, but it is the last official number that we got. For all we know, they could have not shipped a single PS2 after that.

It is unlikely they shipped zero PS2s over that period of time. If they did, they would have had a discontinued dated as of March 31, 2012 and not 9 months later. If more data becomes available we will adjust the PS2 figures. 

Of course i don't actually believe that they shipped zero units during that time, I'm just saying that we don't yet have an official way to confirm that they shipped any more then that.

We're aligned with Wii's last significant holiday season as of these charts, so once that passes the Switch will gain fast.

And yeah it's unlikely many PS2s sold in the months between March 2013 and its discontinuation. By then it was ancient, the 7th gen consoles had all come down in price and hit their stride, and PS2 had already been $99 for years.