By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: Sonic 2 has biggest domestic opening weekend for a video game movie ever, $71m

Since the first trailer at the Game Awards, this has been my most anticipated film of the year, even edging out my excitement for The Batman, which says a lot.
Happy to see it perform well. I hope it continues. Sadly, haven't been able to go to the theaters much since parenthood, but will definitely pick this up on Blu ray!

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

I have said before Sonic's future seems more in other entertainment forms outside games. I'm hoping Sonic 3 is great too! My boy Shadow's in that one!

I saw it last night, I had a damn good time. Easily better than the first movie, which I thought was just okay (I blind-bought it on 4K when I saw it was discounted). This movie easily has more heart than the first film, I dug the beats with Sonic and Tom more in this one with better dialog to boot. This one also has better action scenes, and above all, more nostalgia. Jim Carrey's performance as Eggman is easily a step up from the first movie, this was 90's Jim Carrey at his best, though it probably helps that he's allowed to go full crazy/Eggman in this one, and Idris Elba was great as Knuckles, as expected. Seeing the big 3 together was great and their dynamic was so well-executed that 

Spoiler!
by the end of the movie, you totally buy their friendship , I was actually somewhat surprised by how well they pulled this off. I also really dug Pantera's "Walk" playing during the Death Egg activation.

My only real gripes with the movie were the added campiness from the first film, which didn't bother me for the most part, but I didn't like the added fart jokes and as others have pointed out, there were some unnecessary scenes that drug down the pacing, especially the wedding scene, which also suffered from poor writing. Was it really that hard for Tom to say:

Spoiler!
"here's your real ring right here, now I need that one back. It's kinda an emergency"? Not to mention it set up the most abrupt/bizarre GUN introduction I could've possibly imagined (no pun intended).

PS, my theater was going crazy during

Spoiler!
Super Sonic (granted, there were a bunch of kids in my theater, but still)

, anyone else get the same reaction? There was also a loud buzz during the mid-credits scene when 

Spoiler!
Shadow appeared, though a part of me was hoping for Metal Sonic, not gonna lie.

4/5 this might actually be the best videogame movie ever made, which isn't a high bar, but still.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 09 April 2022

I wasn't crazy about the first movie, but after seeing the final trailer for this a few weeks ago it looked more promising. Glad it seems to be delivering.

It's more of a great story thinking back to initial reveals of the first movie, how it looked like a trainwreck in the making, yet now it seems to be a legit franchise. Good things can happen when people just listen.

And wouldn't you know it? Hot off our boy's record-breaking box office success, our good ol' friend, Ken Penders has to try and rain on our parade AGAIN:

Controversial Sonic Writer Ken Penders Claims Sonic 2 Used His Characters, Is Seeking Legal Advice

[Source]

He has no room to talk seeing how he stole Ian Flynn's redesign of Shade and tried to call it his own, which BTW: the courts ruled in favor of Sega/BioWare when he sued them, what a fucking hack. Hell, he has a lengthy history of stealing ideas, his Knuckles spin-off series was literally a ripoff of Conan/Red Sonja, but go ahead and act like you "own" the concept of superpowered animals (echidnas) and characters owning dads, bruh. Pot, meet the fucking kettle.

I see this ending about as well as his Sega/BioWare lawsuit.

Around the Network

Is it behind then when adjusting for inflation?

I thought both movies were passable. Some adaptations have had more appeal than others (like the original Mortal Kombat movie), but I'm still waiting for the first genuinely great game to film adaptation. The closest would probably be Wreck It Ralph (not based on any one property). The recent success of game adaptations on the small screen does give me hope that they'll figure it out on the big screen soon, too.

ironmanDX said:

Is it behind then when adjusting for inflation?

Looking at only three day openings:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aXtOvrwpA

shikamaru317 said:
BradleyJ said:

Looking at only three day openings:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aXtOvrwpA

I'm honestly shocked that Pokemon The First Movie didn't do better than that even after inflation adjusting. I remember the night I went to see it at the biggest theater in my area, a 14 room theater, they had the movie playing in like 5 rooms at once, and the line to see it was halfway out into the parking lot and took like 30 minutes to get through. I only ever saw a line that big one other time at that particular theater, and it was Star Wars The Phantom Menace that same year, 1999. 

It's not higher because it opened on a Wednesday and earned nearly $20M before the weekend, which brought in another $31M. I believe the above is only based on opening weekends. If it had opened on a Friday I think it would at least be in the running for the number one video game opening adjusted for inflation.

Last edited by BradleyJ - on 13 April 2022

I was dinking around on the interwebs and found a bit of information regarding Sonic movie 3's production:

• Paramount already has an actor eyed and offered the role for Shadow the Hedgehog, but quote, "they haven't heard back from him." This is probably corporate speak for "we can't say who it is yet because we're under gag orders (like every actor ever asked if they're in said movie)".
    • They also said it's a Hollywood actor. That should come as no surprise given Knuckles' casting (they only brought back Colleen to voice Tails because they already had her on deck to voice him in the Sonic 1 post-credits scene).
  • They're considering featuring Crush 40 in the movie (Live and Learn please!).

Any wild guesses as to who they reached out to for the role of Shadow? If I had to guess, I'd say it's Keanu. I could totally see him as the voice of Shadow. He also recently voiced Batman in the DC League of Super-Pets movie.

I also wonder if they plan to have the casting reveal (whoever it may be) coincide with the Sonic Prime S2 official release date reveal. I wouldn't be surprised, after all, they did end on this S1 cliffhanger:

"Home doesn't exist, anymore BECAUSE OF YOU!" has become my new flavor of the day/month/year meme, LOL.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 07 February 2023