By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Is free speech suppressed on the internet's main public squares

Yes 56 53.85%

No 44 42.31%

Undecided 4 3.85%

Total:104
Hiku said:

If you saw the checkmark, you knew it was a comment from someone relevant to the subject, or at least a notable person.

That's not true at all. In fact this comment shows why the checkmark was an issue for Twitter for so long. It was never meant to convey any sense of Authority just that the person was who they said they were. Hell long ago all you had to do for a checkmark was send Twitter a valid form of identification and boom you got one.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Around the Network
SAguy said:
Hiku said:

If you saw the checkmark, you knew it was a comment from someone relevant to the subject, or at least a notable person.

That's not true at all. In fact this comment shows why the checkmark was an issue for Twitter for so long. It was never meant to convey any sense of Authority just that the person was who they said they were. Hell long ago all you had to do for a checkmark was send Twitter a valid form of identification and boom you got one.

But who apart from such people actually would have done that? I was conveying a sense of authority just as designed due to the only people who cared about being exactly the person/group they were supposed to represent were people of authority, journalists, and the like. Very few other people did this because it defeated their own sense of anonymity and/or didn't have any need to get that checkmark because they had no greater relevance and thus were at no risk of being impersonated.

What I've recognized that I get a lot of tweet recommendations from as example Germany's right wing party AfD which I never got before Elon bought Twitter. Especially tweets from the right wing extremist Björn Höcke who is considered one of the worst in Germany from anyone who doesn't support AfD. Now Elon might say that this was the problem, that we only got left wing recommendations before but that's not true at least for me in Germany. I neither got recommendations from the left or right wing parties nor do I get those now from the left wing. Only recommendations I get is AfD politicians or a lot of stuff supporting Trump. And that in Germany lol

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 18 March 2024

crissindahouse said:

What I've recognized that I get a lot of tweet recommendations from as example Germany's right wing party AfD which I never got before Elon bought Twitter. Especially tweets from the right wing extremist Björn Höcke who is considered one of the worst in Germany from anyone who doesn't support AfD. Now Elon might say that this was the problem, that we only got left wing recommendations before but that's not true at least for me in Germany. I neither got recommendations from the left or right wing parties nor do I get those now from the left wing. Only recommendations I get is AfD politicians or a lot of stuff supporting Trump. And that in Germany lol

Musk is center though.

Spoiler!
Right in the middle between Höcke and Hitler.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Funnily I only started getting bots messaging me after Musk acquired Twitter, never before his acquisition, as for blue checkmarks, I now see the dumbest MFs around with blue checkmarks and straight up fascists posting with their little blue checkmarks so I no longer give a shit who has a blue checkmark anymore.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 18 March 2024

Around the Network

I can barely tell a difference, honestly.

the-pi-guy said:
padib said:

He's center and so what, you care so much about sides.

In my experience 99% of the time, when someone says they're "center", it's because they're extremely conservative, pretending to be unbiased. 

>2+2=4

>2+2=5

The centrist side that says 2+2=4.5 is really the right one. 

I really like this analogy.

The funny thing is the "centrist" types are the ones screaming "1984!" at everything, totally missing the point of the book, the values of Orwell, and the fact that they're on the wrong side of their own concern trolling.

It's surprising to few people (certainly not many), that a wealthy billionaire screeching about free speech would turn into one of the most anti-free speech advocates in western society. In the dictionary, Elon Musk's face should be next to sanctimony and virtue signalling.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I thought links from twitter were for adult content the other day. But I realized they changed there name to X so I find that the funniest and most annoying thing about this change.

BiON!@ 

Jumpin said:
the-pi-guy said:

In my experience 99% of the time, when someone says they're "center", it's because they're extremely conservative, pretending to be unbiased. 

>2+2=4

>2+2=5

The centrist side that says 2+2=4.5 is really the right one. 

The funny thing is the "centrist" types are the ones screaming "1984!" at everything, totally missing the point of the book, the values of Orwell, and the fact that they're on the wrong side of their own concern trolling.

It's surprising to few people (certainly not many), that a wealthy billionaire screeching about free speech would turn into one of the most anti-free speech advocates in western society. In the dictionary, Elon Musk's face should be next to sanctimony and virtue signalling.

This is some bullshit leftist always spout to validate their absolutisms and purity tests "anyone to the right of me, even by a millimeter, is literally hitler, and their opinion should not be considered."  

atomicfear said:
Jumpin said:

This is some bullshit leftist always spout to validate their absolutisms and purity tests "anyone to the right of me, even by a millimeter, is literally hitler, and their opinion should not be considered."  

Ironically, it is YOU that has invoked Godwin's Law.