By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 105M, XS Sales Top 13M - Global Hardware Feb 27-Mar 5

Imagine going back in time 1-2 years and saying the PS5 would be in 3rd place in the 2022 YTD in early March. It would understandably be viewed as absurd but thanks to rough circumstances here we are. Not being able to get any hardware boost from Horizon: FW into Elden Ring into GT7 really sucks.

Around the Network

Crazy that Switch is still selling more than all consoles combined, and it just passed year 5. I, honestly, didn't expect this kind of performance still coming from Switch and I'm very much going to be eating my hat when Switch sells over 21M this year despite my prediction of 18-20M

Microsoft struck gold, as well as gold could be struck within the supply chain crisis and chip shortage, by having the Series S as a backup option this gen.  Seeing the XBox Series outselling the XBox One even without being able to adequately supply the Series X is telling for how this gen will play out I think.  It might not wind up as close as the 7th Gen was, but it's a big recovery from the more than 2 to 1 beating the XBox One just took last gen.  Having a cheaper alternative SKU available while Sony has been struggling to supply demand of their console is turning out to be almost as good as getting the XBox 360 out a year earlier than the PS3 (in terms of units sold, not in terms of hardware reliability).  For anyone who thinks that Sony is just going to make up all these lost sales on the backend of this gen, it's a good lesson to look back at that 7th gen as well.  Sony played a good amount of catchup at the end of the gen and eventually did overtake the 360 in total sales.  But when compared to the marketshare that was lost from the previous gen, it's clear that a large portion of gamers who had bought an XBox 360 instead did not go back and buy a PS3 later.  That's history that could very well repeat itself here.  

To be clear though, Sony will be fine overall once the supply issue is sorted out.  But, I definitely feel that the chunk of marketshare they are losing to Microsoft in the meantime is not going to be reclaimed this gen.

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

Imagine going back in time 1-2 years and saying the PS5 would be in 3rd place in the 2022 YTD in early March. It would understandably be viewed as absurd but thanks to rough circumstances here we are. Not being able to get any real boost from Horizon: FW into Elden Ring into GT7 really sucks.

I can only imagine the boost to PS5 those games would have caused if there were no shortages. But right now Sony can't take advantage of a strong 2022 lineup.

They'll still sell some hardware later on but many people are not gonna bother waiting and just play them on their PS4 instead. Sony's increased focus on cross-gen this time will benefit their software sales for this year but at the cost of negatively impacting their hardware sales down the line.

Switch basically needs to get to 10M by end of Sep to lock in another 20M year. Given that 2022 software lineup is probably the strongest Apr-Sep period its ever had, I think pulling another 6-7M in that 6 month frame should be a cakewalk. I think this feels like another 24-25M year, not merely 20M year.

Around the Network

It's strange to see the Series and Ps5 so close in EU, and not too far apart in Asia. This gen is really something else.

trunkswd said:

2022 YTD sales estimates:

1. NS: 3,188,406
  2. XSX|S: 1,298,114
  3. PS5: 1,222,692
  4. PS4: 146,119
  5. X1: 17,605

There are 4 weeks left of Q1 2022. Sony forecasted it will ship 2 million PS5 consoles during this quarter, while Nintendo expects to ship 4 million Switch consoles. PS5 sales will need to improve to an average of just below 200,000 units for the rest of the March.

Do we have a region by region breakdown of YTD sales for each console? 

trunkswd said:
smroadkill15 said:

It's strange to see the Series and Ps5 so close in EU, and not too far apart in Asia. This gen is really something else.

So far in 2022 it looks like Sony is putting more focus on the US and Japan than Europe.

Sony heard the complaints that they were becoming too western-centric lol

A US focus makes sense as well though considering that's always been Xbox's strongest market.

I still think PS5 will outsell Xbox Series this gen, but not by a wide margin. I've read a lot of people still thinking PS5 will wipe the floor with Xbox, but they forget how much of the market Xbox caught up on going from the 6th gen to 7th gen

PS2: 155 million
Xbox: 24 million

PS3: 87 million
X360: 85 million

That's quite the catch up over the course of a single console generation. And with Xbox soon to be pumping out games nonstop along with the really unfortunate shortages Sony is needing to overcome, we're in for a very competitive generation. Then there's Nintendo lol

mk7sx said:

Switch basically needs to get to 10M by end of Sep to lock in another 20M year. Given that 2022 software lineup is probably the strongest Apr-Sep period its ever had, I think pulling another 6-7M in that 6 month frame should be a cakewalk. I think this feels like another 24-25M year, not merely 20M year.

Agreed. Switch will just have big titles after big titles this year, ensuring there will be less slow periods. Even summer will be strong with Strikers and Splatoon 3. 

I see it doing around 22 millions without a revision, and 24-25 with a revision.

trunkswd said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I still think PS5 will outsell Xbox Series this gen, but not by a wide margin. I've read a lot of people still thinking PS5 will wipe the floor with Xbox, but they forget how much of the market Xbox caught up on going from the 6th gen to 7th gen

PS2: 155 million
Xbox: 24 million

PS3: 87 million
X360: 85 million

That's quite the catch up over the course of a single console generation. And with Xbox soon to be pumping out games nonstop along with the really unfortunate shortages Sony is needing to overcome, we're in for a very competitive generation. Then there's Nintendo lol

This gen will likely end up somewhere between 7th and 8th gens. 70-80m for Xbox Series X|S vs 100-110m for PS5. With the shortages I am expecting this gen to be a year or 2 longer than usual.

I highly doubt they will be able to sell almost the same amount of PS5 they did with PS4. They will have 2 years of extremely low sales and it won't resolve magically to a 20 million+ year next year. I also doubt they will make this gen last for 8-9 years just cause there was shortage at the beginning. Their are dependant on third party games and they will need to catch up with PC at some point and i doubt even a mid gen upgrade will be able to make them last as long.

PS4 had everything going for it and won't reach 120 millions. With tough competition and 2 years with an advantage to MS + them having a way bigger output of games later on, i feel like we are going to be looking more at a 85 millions to 95 millions ratio.