By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 105M, XS Sales Top 13M - Global Hardware Feb 27-Mar 5

Farsala said:

I do believe more PS5s have been shipped than XBOX Series LTD. So it seems Sony can still get the same or more components than XBOX. But the sudden lack of shipments to Europe seems like a stupid move on Sony's planning. Maybe they airlifted Europe's February stock into the US for January, thus the NPD win.

Who really knows except Sony?

Either way, they should really figure out a solution to this.

Early on we saw that Sony was able to ship more units than Xbox, but this may doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Looking back, I believe there is a very easy reason as to why this is: X Cloud. During 2021 MS's contract with AMD included components for Xbox Series X consoles but also manufacturing Series X hardware for cloud based purposes. I think that this is one reason why PS5 to Series X distribution was 2:1 in 2021 where it's a lot closer to 1:1 currently. This, of course, is in addition to Series S being easier to manufacture. 

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
Mar1217 said:

Though to be honest, it's gotta be said, even with the surprise win of the Xbox in Europe due to the shortages and Sony not shipping much in Europe compared to the US while Xbox uses their stock of Series S to take advantage of the fact.

It's mostly Nintendo that's been really impressing on the old continent and by far when you consider there were mostly relegated to almost a non-factor there during most of the 2010's. Now it's just been constant growth in the region and is in part why the numbers for the Switch are still impressive to this day. I also expect more growth during the summer since they've decided to tap into football with Mario Strikers which could become a flagship title there in Euro territories, further growing it's audience there.

Exactly. It is a market that i think Nintendo will be doing really well this year. They have any titles more fitted for this area and this will be the necessary push to make Switch reach 160 millions.

If I look at the total sales of each past Nintendo console, both home consoles and handhelds, it's hard to see a trend because of the unsuccessful/less popular one's, namely N64, GC, WiiU, 3DS (compared to DS), but I think it's clear that Nintendo slowly but steadily picks up the pace in Europe. So far it was a slow process as they kind of neglected Europe for a long time and when they finally started to give Europe more attention, they had difficulties to understand this market properly (I think it was mostly regarded as "same taste as North America") and thus their marketing in Europe was not successful enough. Now, with the Nintendo Switch, I think they finally got the beat for Europe and finally start to sell to their full potential. We should not forget that for many Europoors the price tag for the Switch is still steep even after the adjustment down to EUR 299. Price cuts and/or attractive bundles will do wonders in the emerging (East European) markets. Well, Russia you have to count out for a long time but Russia was treading on the same low pace for many years anyway (for all console manufacturers).

trunkswd said:

"Switch sales are down 14% compared with the same month in 2021, but is up 52% compared to February 2020, which was pre-pandemic.

Considering the Switch was already selling very well pre-pandemic off the back of a strong 2019, this is an extraordinary statistic.

Even in its 6th year, its still in its prime.

Fight-the-Streets said:
xMetroid said:

Exactly. It is a market that i think Nintendo will be doing really well this year. They have any titles more fitted for this area and this will be the necessary push to make Switch reach 160 millions.

If I look at the total sales of each past Nintendo console, both home consoles and handhelds, it's hard to see a trend because of the unsuccessful/less popular one's, namely N64, GC, WiiU, 3DS (compared to DS), but I think it's clear that Nintendo slowly but steadily picks up the pace in Europe. So far it was a slow process as they kind of neglected Europe for a long time and when they finally started to give Europe more attention, they had difficulties to understand this market properly (I think it was mostly regarded as "same taste as North America") and thus their marketing in Europe was not successful enough. Now, with the Nintendo Switch, I think they finally got the beat for Europe and finally start to sell to their full potential. We should not forget that for many Europoors the price tag for the Switch is still steep even after the adjustment down to EUR 299. Price cuts and/or attractive bundles will do wonders in the emerging (East European) markets. Well, Russia you have to count out for a long time but Russia was treading on the same low pace for many years anyway (for all console manufacturers).

If you look less popular for market potential analysis you are wrong from the start. And the other two points:  First, it´s the first time Nintendo has alone in portable dedicated space. Second, Nintendo unifies stationary and portable production in one pipeline, this a powerful enough because prevent big droughts, like occurs in the majority of stationary Nintendo videogames unsucessful ( N64, Gamecube, Wiiu).

I think the Switch has favorable comps for Q2-Q4 this year vs 2021. Q1 2021 was record-shattering, Q2-Q4 were more down to earth.

Inversely, 2020 is the opposite - Switch 2022 will have a hard time competing with Q2/Q3 2020, as those quarters were NDS level. But Q4 should stay competitive.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Considering the Switch was already selling very well pre-pandemic off the back of a strong 2019, this is an extraordinary statistic.

Even in its 6th year, its still in its prime.

Switch sales will (likely) decline from here on out. But only dropping 14% year-over-year I'd call a success. 

As mk7sx points out, yeah the first quarter of last year was gargantuan, so being just 14% down from that is still excellent.

Switch is still in fine health and punching like a champ.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 March 2022

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

As mk7sx points out, yeah the first quarter of last year was gargantuan, so being just 14% down from that is still excellent.

Switch is still in fine health and punching like a champ.

2022 is looking to be another strong year for Switch. If it ends up down 14% for the entire year that would be good.

Given its lineup, I would say that will largely come down to supply. If they can make and ship enough, particularly of the OLED, it should still be another 20 million plus year.