By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When are you expecting Switch 2 to come out?

When are you expecting Switch 2 to be released

2022 0 0%

2023 6 8.45%

2024 38 53.52%

2025 23 32.39%

Later then 2025 4 5.63%

Total:71

Late 2024 was my original guess.

However with the chip thing and seeing how much Sony and MS struggle to ship consoles, they might wait longer.

Either way once sales somewhat dry up in Japan, Nintendo will look to release their next console.

Around the Network

Inflation is through the roof, chip shortages won't end anytime soon, so there's no point for Nintendo in releaseing a new platform anytime soon. The thing would just be constantly sold out and too expensive for their usual target group. Those folks would probably just get frustrated.

So I say not sooner than 2025. The Switch should continue to sell fantastic until then anyhow und may very well become the most sold system ever. The chips are readily available and Nintendo doesn't have to compete with Apple, Samsung, AMD and Intel for capacities. So everything is fine and dandy and right now there isn't a reason to even think about a successor.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Holiday 2024 is my guess for now and I hope it's not later than that. 2022 being an option reminds me that some people somehow thought that was a realistic time for the successor to release.

It's funny there's still 10% of votes saying 2023. 2025 seems like the obvious year at this point.

I think there was a thread this recently, but I'll bite again.
Pre-COVID19 I would've said March or November 2023. But now I'll say March or November 2024. The supply chain issues and shortages have hurt electronics (just to name one major industry or category). Even the Nintendo Switch in its current models is shipping at least few million units (last time I checked) less per year than customer demand.
Nintendo is pretty unpredictable, but I think it would be pretty dumb to launch Switch 2 in 2023. Switch hasn't even had a price cut yet. Normally, a piece of hardware has at least one price cut before a successor launches. Switch Lite doesn't count. Yes, it's $100 cheaper. But it is a different form factor than Switch and also has not had a price cut yet in over 2 years.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Roughly 18 to 24 months before it's worth getting one, and about two to three years before I'll consider getting it. Late 2024 at the earliest I'd guess.

I for one truly appreciate the breathing space this will give developers on Nintendo consoles. They’ll either be able to finish great games they’ve been working on, or have a long window to prepare next gen experiences.

This cycle of burning down everything you’ve built up just to keep up with the cycle of boosting power is taxing on everyone involved, developers and gamers alike.

It really would be great to see just about every Nintendo IP get an iteration this gen.

They haven't even cut price on any of the models yet, and they keep selling very well, and there is still supply limitations.
Software lineup is great.
Evergreens are numerous and strong.
Lack of competition helps extend things as well.

Looking at that (and many other factors), Most likely Nintendo will launch it's 10th gen console in 2025, though I suppose 2026 is also possible.

Spring 2024. I think the next 3D Mario game will be a launch title alongside it.

super_etecoon said:

I for one truly appreciate the breathing space this will give developers on Nintendo consoles. They’ll either be able to finish great games they’ve been working on, or have a long window to prepare next gen experiences.

This cycle of burning down everything you’ve built up just to keep up with the cycle of boosting power is taxing on everyone involved, developers and gamers alike.

It really would be great to see just about every Nintendo IP get an iteration this gen.

Even if you consider Switch a different gen than 3DS and Wii U, we're pretty much there. 

As for notable missing IPs.

Mario Kart: Has an enhanced port and a spin-off title (Home Circuit). The booster pass taking until the end of 2023 or so all but confirms we won't see 9 until 2025 or so and it will likely be a Switch 2 game. 

F-Zero: If the series ever revives, they'll probably try an HD port or remake of GX before a new game. And at this point, I don't see it happening until Switch 2.

Star Fox: Could get a new iteration on Switch or wait until Switch 2.

DK: Has a port on Switch, will likely get a new 2D or 3D game before Switch 2.

Pikmin: Has a port on Switch. Who knows when 4 will come out? It's been forever. It would not surprise me if 4 takes as long as 2025 or so and is a launch window title for Switch 2 (like 3 was for the Wii U). 

As for any IPs I haven't mentioned they're probably dead for a while or for good. I don't see really any of the Wii titles (like Fit, etc.) coming back (we do have Switch Sports, though) and Nintendogs is probably dead for good or at least a long time. 

It would be awesome for Switch 2 to have almost every Nintendo IP that's still alive or the chance to revive, but it probably won't happen. I think the generation with the most amount of IPs getting to shine was the GameCube and GBA, namely if you lump them together. 

The only way I want Switch 2 to come out in 2025 or later is Nintendo digging deeper into their IP catalog. Chibi-Robo (HD remake which can lead to a new sequel on Switch 2), Kid Icarus (HD remake of Uprising likely to prep for a new game on Switch 2), Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn Remakes, and a flagship sequel like Super Mario Odyssey 2. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima