By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When are you expecting Switch 2 to come out?

When are you expecting Switch 2 to be released

2022 0 0%

2023 6 8.45%

2024 38 53.52%

2025 23 32.39%

Later then 2025 4 5.63%

Total:71

The Switch is turning six years old next year, which is the normal lifespan of a Nintendo console, but Kimishima and Miyamoto both said that they wanted the Switch to have a longer lifespan then their other consoles back in 2018:

https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-wants-extend-switchs-lifespan-6-years/

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/220861/20180213/shigeru-miyamoto-says-you-should-look-forward-to-a-longer-nintendo-switch-life-cycle.htm

That and the fact that they are releasing high profile releases like Splatoon 3 and BOTW2 this year, makes me think that Switch 2 won't come out before at least 2024.

What do you guys think?

Around the Network

Late 2024 or early 2025. There are Mario Kart DLC tracks release into 2024. Mario Kart 9 is likely to be a launch title for the Switch successor. Not to mention current supply issues. If things remain as they are or get worse, Nintendo will be pushing the software side of things for a bit longer to take advantage of that 125-145 million user base.

I expect a short pre-launch period. No more than 6 months from the initial announcement. Unveil event ~2 months before launch, similar to the Switch. The Switch was a great example of a great launch if you take away the overly long “We won’t talk about the Nintendo NX today” nonsense that went on for like three years before.

Nintendo has largely abandoned their old shitty/annoying marketing model where 85% of the focus was on crap that’s 7 months to 4 years away. I can’t wait for them to abandon it completely.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 12 March 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

2024 would be my guess.

If we look at the Switch, it's based on Nvidia's Maxwell architecture however it came out during Nvidia's Pascal era. Since the new rumours suggest the Switch 2 will be based on Ampere and Lovelace will be out by the end of this year, 2024 makes the most sense. Plus Nintendo gets the benefit of using Samsung's 8nm while Nvidia, AMD, Intel and Apple all move to newer nodes such as TSMC's 6/5/3nm and PS5/SeriesX/S/Steam Deck all will use TSMC's 7nm. Basically should mean Nvidia should have a lot of cheap SoCs for Nintendo as the big companies won't be competing for allocation for these older nodes.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Im unsure, but definitely some time between 2023 and 2123.

Around the Network

March or Nov 2024.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

2024-2025 seems the most reasonable period, Nintendo can still maximise the Switch's lifespan.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

If I were to make one definitive guess, I'd probably say sometime in 2024, as things will likely be slowing down for the Switch as far as new major releases and console sales by that point. That said, Nintendo really seems to be leaning into this being a much longer lifespan for a console than what we've seen in the past. A 2024 launch would already make this a longer lifespan than most Nintendo consoles, but I could see them riding the Switch out until 2025 if they have the games planned. I think it's a bad idea to just completely drop support for the console like they've done at times in the past. They need to basically do what they did for the 3DS at the end of its life, but I think it would work out better in the Switch's case than it did there. (given the Switch had already released by that point in the 3DS' case so none of those 3DS games sold well)

Personally I don't think there's any chance it comes later than 2025. Holiday 2025 is really pushing it, anything later than that is too late.

Mar1217 said:

Since we have no idea of any plan from Nintendo beyond the end of 2023 with the MK8 Booster Pack, my gut feeling is they will still push a bit of software on it most evidently during that year.
Actually my prediction concerning Metroid Prime 4 is a dual-launch like they did for BOTW back in 2017. So I'm joining the late 2024-early 2025 camp on this one.

Metroid isn't really big enough for a console launch. I think it's more likely that they are going to launch Switch 2 with a 3D Mario game.

The further this generation goes, the later I think the Switch 2 is coming.  Here are some things to consider.

1.  Chip shortages will prolong this current generation.

2.  Every fiscal year, Switch releases more games than the previous fiscal year.  That is also going to be true of the current fiscal year (ending Mar. 31, 2022), and all indications show it will be true of the next fiscal year too.

3.  Switch still has not had a price cut.  In fact we are now in Switch's sixth year, and there are still hardware shortages.  

4.  Nintendo first party production is currently in turbo mode.  So far we know this year will have 2 Pokemon games, Switch Sports, BotW 2, and Mario Kart DLC that doubles the number of tracks.  Any one of those things would be massive on its own, and we are getting 5.  Additionally, even if none of those things released this year, it would still be a fairly respectable year for software: Splatoon 3, XC3, Bayonetta 3, M+R2, Kirby, FE Warriors, etc....  

One thing I know about Nintendo is that when they release a lot of software like this, then the next console is not coming any time soon.  This is probably the most impressive software year Nintendo has ever had.  That means the maximum amount of resources possible are currently devoted to making Switch games.  It's going to take them a few years to prepare software for the next console, because right now it doesn't look like they are holding anything back for next generation.

I voted 2025.  I suppose they could rush a 2024 holiday release if they had to, but I doubt it.  In fact, I see a 2026 release as more likely than a 2024 one.  I've seen Nintendo have big software years before, and they never come 1-2 years before a new console releases.