By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and Switch Sales Drop - Global Hardware Feb 20-26

Nice Xbox closing in on 13m.

Around the Network

Xbox Series and PS5 pretty darn close globally, with XS a chunky 12k ahead in the Americas.
Cool to see things heating up.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 March 2022

curl-6 said:

Xbox Series and PS5 pretty darn close globally, with XS a chunky 12k ahead in the Americas.

If only if they were actually heating up, versus being capped at at an underwelming 150k due to stock limitations.

Xbox Series is ~ 1 million from outselling the Wii U.

I understand that Sony were planning to sell almost 23 million PS5s in fiscal year 2022. How did they miscalculate so badly? They must have known roughly how many chips they would be able to secure?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Things aren't heating up, that's what you get when, for 4 different models (X/S,PS5,PS5D), you only have 1 really available

Two days ago I went to a Walmart in a part of town I don't visit often.  They had plenty of Switch base models and that was it.  No Switch Lite or OLED.  No PS5.  No Series X or S.  Just about every type of system is in short supply in the US.  I wouldn't be surprised if I checked around town that I could find a Switch Lite or Series S, but this shows that even these models are in short supply to some degree.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Two days ago I went to a Walmart in a part of town I don't visit often.  They had plenty of Switch base models and that was it.  No Switch Lite or OLED.  No PS5.  No Series X or S.  Just about every type of system is in short supply in the US.  I wouldn't be surprised if I checked around town that I could find a Switch Lite or Series S, but this shows that even these models are in short supply to some degree.

Interestingly, at my local Target that at most only had 1 or 2 Switch base models and Series S most of the time, they had OLED models and Lites last time I was there. Still never seen a PS5 or Series X in a store.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

RolStoppable said:
BonfiresDown said:

I understand that Sony were planning to sell almost 23 million PS5s in fiscal year 2022. How did they miscalculate so badly? They must have known roughly how many chips they would be able to secure?

It was a number less based on reality and more on the hope that the PS5 will be even more successful than the PS4, coupled with the expectation that the chip shortages would be solved by early 2022. Sony forecasted to at least match the PS4's pace through March 2022 and added 23m PS5s for the fiscal year ending March 2023, but it's difficult to predict how things will play out so early in a console's life two years in advance, especially with a significant factor out of their own control (chip shortages).

What Sony didn't expect either was continued success of Switch and stronger competition from Microsoft, so it was really just a matter of time until Sony wouldn't be able to fulfill their goals anymore. Stronger and longer lasting chip shortages than expected just pushed that date forward. The PS5's share of the market won't be bigger than the PS4's (Sony was expecting 5 percent points more for the PS5).

Sony strategy is realy weak against bad macroenomic trends. Nintendo have less ship shortage because have a cheap solution( lite) and use a mainstream outdated techonology. Microsoft design Series S because of low market and uses Gamepass for reinforce this strategy. Sony digital only does not proof against bad macoenomic trends, and Sony suffer more because of chip shortage and, at same time, the two adversaries have better solution and continuous take away market from Sony. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 08 March 2022

kenjab said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Interestingly, at my local Target that at most only had 1 or 2 Switch base models and Series S most of the time, they had OLED models and Lites last time I was there. Still never seen a PS5 or Series X in a store.

Wow.  I've never seen an OLED model at a retail store.  I've checked many different stores at various times since it's been released.  I've just never seen one.  I guess this means that every model is in short supply to some extent, but availability can depend a lot on where you live.