By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and Switch Sales Drop - Global Hardware Feb 20-26

I am curious who those 14 people in Oceania are who decided now was the time to get an Xbox One.

Around the Network

Interesting to note Switch is still 20% up over this time in 2020.
Shows how strongly it's still doing even if it's peak has passed.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 March 2022

Norion said:

I am curious who those 14 people in Oceania are who decided now was the time to get an Xbox One.

Any of the below:

1) Uninformed gamer.

2) Uninformed purchaser for gamer.

3) Stores wanting to offload remaining devices and sold them for cheap.

4) Don Mattrick purchased them with offshore bank accounts to save face for his mediocre career.

5) Nintendo bought one to benchmark the Switch 2 architecture against it.

6) Someone thought it would be funny to buy more than one Xbox One devices as a joke. Many laughs were had.

7) Someone programmed a rounding glitch they thought we wouldn't notice, but we did, because they had the decimal in the wrong spot. Thankfully the building burned down, hiding the evidence, or they would have been caught. Much thanks were had towards the guy obsessed with a device that produces a variant of paperclips.

Or they bought an Xbox One for dirt cheap to play all the upcoming exclusives via streaming which makes perfect sense and is what I'm doing too.

curl-6 said:

Interesting to note Switch is still 20% up over this time in 2020.
Shows how strongly it's still doing even if it's peak has passed.

Heh, those were known as the "pre-Animal Crossing" parts of 2020.  Still, that fiscal year shipped over 20m with Animal Crossing releasing just a few days before it ended.  So, yeah, you're right.  Switch is still going strong even with a chip shortage.

Around the Network

XSX and Switch in the US is very interesting.

Switch is also now less than 12 million from the PS4.

Where I live in the US, OLEDs are available many places and they've been in stock on Amazon for the last three weeks or so. Complete turn around from January, when it was incredible difficult to find one here. I'm thinking that February NPD data will reflect this as well.

Mar1217 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Wow.  I've never seen an OLED model at a retail store.  I've checked many different stores at various times since it's been released.  I've just never seen one.  I guess this means that every model is in short supply to some extent, but availability can depend a lot on where you live.

The thing is that anecdotal evidence or personal stories aren't much proof of any trend really.

I've been to my general stores and EB Games recently and they all had at least a few of them OLED models, except one store. 

Anecdotal evidence doesn't prove a trend, but it has more use than you think.  If there is a shortage in one store, then we can conclude shortages exist.  It doesn't mean that shortages are everywhere or necessarily that they are widespread. 

On top of that, the fact that you and another poster said what things were like in your area gives a slightly better picture than my anecdote alone.  If we got enough anecdotes from a variety of sources then at a certain point we'd have a pretty good picture of the whole situation.  Anecdotal evidence isn't useless.  Anecdotal evidence is where you start when you have no better information.

Wow Xbox being ahead of the PS5 is something I would not have saw coming. Should be interesting seeing if Sony can fix their stock situation with the upcoming Quarter.