By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Platinum Games' Babylon's Fall peaks at less than 650 concurrent players on release on Steam

ArchangelMadzz said:
Dulfite said:

Forget quality, a game flopping this badly is a massive indication that their marketing team literally didn't try with this game. Plenty of bad games have a great deal more players than this game had, by far less known studios. They must have completely abandoned the game for it to do this poorly.

I found out this game existed whilst scrolling twitter this morning..

I found out this game existed while scrolling this thread, and I love platinum games. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

This game might have the worst graphics of any game I have seen released in the last year, even gives Pokemon Legends Arceus a run for it's money:

At least gamefreak had made a passable effort at character design, this looks bad.

I don't know what the goal was with Babylon's Fall. I thought the initial reveal trailer (or was it something in between) looked uninspired and forgot about it right after. Nothing reminded me of it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The game looked somewhat better with it's original trailer showing some time back, but at it's current release, the game looks quite terrible, blotchy and uninspired.

Really doesn't help that the marketing dept didn't push the game hard enough, as well as it being region limited and only on one console as well. SE is likely to voice issue with it's clear lacking sales in time, but this is entirely on them for this blunder, not Platinum. We've seen what Platinum can do with a decent budget, so I know this isn't entirely their doing.

I can see Forespoken suffering the same sort of fate, since it too is asking a high price, hardly much marketing going for it, and well, from what we saw before they pulled the semi-recent trailer footage, it looked bland as hell. Guardians seemed like the only hit they made that was well received recently.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

shikamaru317 said:

This game might have the worst graphics of any game I have seen released in the last year, even gives Pokemon Legends Arceus a run for it's money:

I'm guessing this was made by an "F team" at Platinum while the A team was on Bayo 3, the B team was on Project GG, the C team was on World of Demons, and the D team was on Sol Cresta. One thing is for sure, Platinum is taking on way too many games at once for their size, just 294 devs, no wonder they are hinting that they want MS to buy them and let them finish Scalebound. 

This looks like a PS2 game remastered for the PS3. I guess Platinum and Square didn't listen to the feedback when they were told the gameplay was bland and the graphics were horrible. It's a real shame. Hoping Bayo 3 is a masterpiece.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

eva01beserk said:

I do like square enix but I have to say. GOOD. The more these live services fail the less likely these companies are gona wana try to make them.

Im sure we are gona hear the same garbage response as we heard from the halo team. "Its gona get better over time". "We are listening to gamers". "We are working on the issues".

I really hope publishers drop service games before gamers start leaving.

It feels like any Square published game lately that isn't first-party has just been failing! 

It seems like it's been a combination of mismanagement and awful marketing. Makes me kind of weary for Forspoken now. Not necessarily that it might be a bad game, but in a similar manner Square hurt Guardians of the Galaxy. I know it's a first party game, but it's from a subsidiary studio rather than one of their internal development studios, and has a lot of western influence. Hopefully Square doesn't bury this one into the ground too.

Around the Network

I know and like Platinum Games. I have never even heard of Babylon's Fall. Seems like a big marketing failure to me.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:

I know and like Platinum Games. I have never even heard of Babylon's Fall. Seems like a big marketing failure to me.

Which is especially bad considering this is a GaaS title with a premium battle pass xD

gtotheunit91 said:
eva01beserk said:

I do like square enix but I have to say. GOOD. The more these live services fail the less likely these companies are gona wana try to make them.

Im sure we are gona hear the same garbage response as we heard from the halo team. "Its gona get better over time". "We are listening to gamers". "We are working on the issues".

I really hope publishers drop service games before gamers start leaving.

It feels like any Square published game lately that isn't first-party has just been failing! 

It seems like it's been a combination of mismanagement and awful marketing. Makes me kind of weary for Forspoken now. Not necessarily that it might be a bad game, but in a similar manner Square hurt Guardians of the Galaxy. I know it's a first party game, but it's from a subsidiary studio rather than one of their internal development studios, and has a lot of western influence. Hopefully Square doesn't bury this one into the ground too.

Maybe. But guardians was well received but people still where on hold because people dont see quare enix first they see marvel first and asosiate the game. 

Either mismanegement or like others said they just gave up after the bad showing and they just quietlte tried to kill it.

Yea Sony isnt gona let it die. But again I dont think the majority of people have any clue that avengers guardians this game and forspoken are made by the same company. My only comsern for fospoken is the store on a single player game. I honestly belive what ever they try could kill that game to. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Square is on a streak of one big bomba a year.

2018 The Quiet Man

2019 Left Alive

2020 Avengers

2021 Balan Wonderworld

2022 Babylons Fail

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kyuu said:

Platinum seems like such a messy, mismanaged, and inconsistent developer. I don't know if there is enough evidence pointing to Square Enix being the main reason behind this disaster; Platinum is certainly no stranger to making bad and unsuccessful games. Let's not forget that Square actually saved their ass with NieR Automata.

Perhaps what they needed is a new NieR sequel headed by Yoko Taro and produced by Yosuke Saito, aka Platinum's saviors.

Hopefully Bayonetta 3 can help them out of this disaster. Otherwise they're in trouble... I'd rather have them acquired by anyone than gone.

I can only speak for their Nintendo games, out of experience, but they seem to do a good job there. Astral Chains was awesome and original. Bayo 1&2 (while way too inappropriate for my tastes) were really well design games and the action was fun and cutscenes were superb. The Wonderful 101, while not my cup of tea, was and is extremely popular within a niche. Starfox Zero sucked, but I've heard recently that Nintendo actually made most of the game themselves and Platinum just polished it and couldn't make many changes.