By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Platinum Games' Babylon's Fall peaks at less than 650 concurrent players on release on Steam

Astral Chain bombed but not as hard as this game.

This seems that is will bomb on PS5/PS4 too

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

Astral Chain sold 1 million copies in 6 months, it might not be a blockbuster but is hardly a bomb 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Bombed hard

Hope Enix learn their lesson and stop spending money outsourcing their games, their best and most successful games are all in house, better to expand their current workforce

Well Nier was a hit.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

kazuyamishima said:

How was Astral Chain a bomb it sold 1 million copies and Nintendo was happy with it's sales.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

Forget quality, a game flopping this badly is a massive indication that their marketing team literally didn't try with this game. Plenty of bad games have a great deal more players than this game had, by far less known studios. They must have completely abandoned the game for it to do this poorly.

In my opinion, this is not a problem of marketing, the lack of marketing was a right and conscious decision

The first teaser was released 2 years ago and made no buzz whatsoever. The graphics are ugly and the game itself looks uninspired and uninteresting, after the very lukewarm reception they more likely decided to given up the project and let Platinum finish the game only because they would probably have to pay for it regardless if they decided to cancel the game in the middle of the development 

So they released and let it flop

The problem of this game was both the conception and the execution of the game itself, the few reviews were very clear how bad and clunk the game is. And both Enix and Platinum are responsible for making a bad game 

A dev more than anyone knows when a game have no hope, if this was a hopeless game since the reveal, why spending money marketing it ? 

I'm not sure I would say platinum for this. This type of game is well outside their wheel house. A lot of the backlash I hear outside of the graphics are more to do with the store and online fetures and boring grind. As far as we know square could have forced this on a somewhat enjoyable game and it ended like this. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

This game might have the worst graphics of any game I have seen released in the last year, even gives Pokemon Legends Arceus a run for it's money:

I'm guessing this was made by an "F team" at Platinum while the A team was on Bayo 3, the B team was on Project GG, the C team was on World of Demons, and the D team was on Sol Cresta. One thing is for sure, Platinum is taking on way too many games at once for their size, just 294 devs, no wonder they are hinting that they want MS to buy them and let them finish Scalebound. 

No they are not asking MS to buy them nor hinting at it FFS. Kamiya worked on Sol Cresta and it's a great game that looks great as it has a look that homages mid 90s shooters. Kamiya wants to work on many projects. Cresta is a series from the 80s and he wanted to work on one(he has a huge arcade board collection and loves many obscure games). He expressed interest in working on Okami with Capcom again, he expressed interest in reviving Scalebound. Doesn't mean he wants all 3 companys he wanted to work with to buy them. Only reason CEO brought up the idea od aquisition is because they were asked but they answered in a polite way of only if but for now no thank you.

This project is Square Enix mismanging another project.

They will be brought out by the end of this year, at a low cost.

On top of all the other issues like being online-only and poor production values, didn’t help that it came out right after a blockbuster like Elden Ring.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Dulfite said:

Forget quality, a game flopping this badly is a massive indication that their marketing team literally didn't try with this game. Plenty of bad games have a great deal more players than this game had, by far less known studios. They must have completely abandoned the game for it to do this poorly.

I found out this game existed whilst scrolling twitter this morning..

I found out this game existed when I saw this topic.

The initial teaser looked cool and the first trailer made it look like a Dark Souls setting with Platinum combat I was so hyped but then they showed the trailer last year showing everything and I lost all interest right then and there.