By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Platinum Games' Babylon's Fall peaks at less than 650 concurrent players on release on Steam

Dulfite said:

I can only speak for their Nintendo games, out of experience, but they seem to do a good job there. Astral Chains was awesome and original. Bayo 1&2 (while way too inappropriate for my tastes) were really well design games and the action was fun and cutscenes were superb. The Wonderful 101, while not my cup of tea, was and is extremely popular within a niche. Starfox Zero sucked, but I've heard recently that Nintendo actually made most of the game themselves and Platinum just polished it and couldn't make many changes.

It more or less proves that Platinum can make some bangers if given the time, the budget and aren't forced into doing something that isn't exactly their forte (like a F2P game), and it also proves that SE don't know wtf they are doing and how badly they handle managing the projects they give out. 

When you compare the games platinum has made with Nintendo vs the ones under Activision/SE, it becomes obvious that it's the publishers lack of vision/budget and time that's the part of the problem. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Dulfite said:

I can only speak for their Nintendo games, out of experience, but they seem to do a good job there. Astral Chains was awesome and original. Bayo 1&2 (while way too inappropriate for my tastes) were really well design games and the action was fun and cutscenes were superb. The Wonderful 101, while not my cup of tea, was and is extremely popular within a niche. Starfox Zero sucked, but I've heard recently that Nintendo actually made most of the game themselves and Platinum just polished it and couldn't make many changes.

It more or less proves that Platinum can make some bangers if given the time, the budget and aren't forced into doing something that isn't exactly their forte (like a F2P game), and it also proves that SE don't know wtf they are doing and how badly they handle managing the projects they give out. 

When you compare the games platinum has made with Nintendo vs the ones under Activision/SE, it becomes obvious that it's the publishers lack of vision/budget and time that's the part of the problem. 

THANK YOU! I have been trying to say this since TMNT as it was made in less than a year. Korra I think was 6 months.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think SE saying some of their titles not meeting sales expectations is a ploy of some sorts, because with TR 2013 they said the same thing. They still went on to publish two sequels after it and the sales for all the trilogy games were pretty good. After Marvel's Avengers they still went ahead with Guardians.

Lube Me Up

LMU Uncle Alfred said:

I think SE saying some of their titles not meeting sales expectations is a ploy of some sorts, because with TR 2013 they said the same thing. They still went on to publish two sequels after it and the sales for all the trilogy games were pretty good. After Marvel's Avengers they still went ahead with Guardians.

GOTG was already in development for years. It's not related to Avengers outside of being Marvel. SE obviously had to fufill a contract.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:

The upcoming dark Final Fantasy spin-off maybe has problems on the Japanese market too. 

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Platinum seems like such a messy, mismanaged, and inconsistent developer. I don't know if there is enough evidence pointing to Square Enix being the main reason behind this disaster; Platinum is certainly no stranger to making bad and unsuccessful games. Let's not forget that Square actually saved their ass with NieR Automata.

Perhaps what they needed is a new NieR sequel headed by Yoko Taro and produced by Yosuke Saito, aka Platinum's saviors.

Hopefully Bayonetta 3 can help them out of this disaster. Otherwise they're in trouble... I'd rather have them acquired by anyone than gone.

Nintendo needs to buy them, and make a deal with Sega for the remaining rights to Bayonetta.  Nintendo seems to do the best job of managing Platinum while letting them do what they want.

Leynos said:
Chazore said:

THANK YOU! I have been trying to say this since TMNT as it was made in less than a year. Korra I think was 6 months.

What annoyed me way back then, was that I actually liked Avatar and it's follow up, Korra series, and to see Plat's talent wasted on a cash-in game (that is now no longer being sold on PC and probably consoles as well), was sad to see, because according to some review outlet's, Korra was the game that showed us that "platinum no longer means quality", and that stings tbh.

If a publisher is going to prattle about and waste time dilly dallying with a project they clearly don't care to allow time and effort for, they shouldn't even be mucking with the project to begin with. 

This is why SE is shitting out some poor ports and games that no one asked for (babylon's fall, Outriders, Wonderland). I'm just going to wait for them to whine about their poor sales expectations, and to see them yet again pin the blame on someone else, instead of themselves. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Kyuu said:
SanAndreasX said:

Nintendo needs to buy them, and make a deal with Sega for the remaining rights to Bayonetta.  Nintendo seems to do the best job of managing Platinum while letting them do what they want.

Nintendo isn't the company I'd want to acquire them due to underpowered hardware and full exclusivity. Nothing Platinum made on Nintendo platforms reached even half the success levels of NieR Automata, which surprisingly was never ported to Switch. That game could hit 8 million+ with a Switch version added, demonstrating Platinum's potential as a multiplatform developer.

I think they best fit Capcom which is pretty much the company that spawned them. But it goes without saying that between Nintendo acquiring them and bankruptcy, everyone should hope for the former.

Capcom would just fire them again. Nintendo is the best fit if anyone were to. As of now let them be independant.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

I am sure after this the line of companies to buy platinum games will be massive.

Who wants to buy a mid sized studio with no IPs to publish? Better keep using them as a software house factory 

I didn't expect any other game this year would give Crossfire X a run for its money lol.