By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Platinum Games' Babylon's Fall peaks at less than 650 concurrent players on release on Steam

Hmm, seems as though taking on too many projects at once is startnig to have an effect on quality.

Around the Network

Thanks Square Enix for doubling the scope and halving the budget. SE really mismanages so many projects last few years and some from genuinely good devs.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

ironmanDX said:

Hmm, seems as though taking on too many projects at once is startnig to have an effect on quality.

Forget quality, a game flopping this badly is a massive indication that their marketing team literally didn't try with this game. Plenty of bad games have a great deal more players than this game had, by far less known studios. They must have completely abandoned the game for it to do this poorly.

Dulfite said:
ironmanDX said:

Forget quality, a game flopping this badly is a massive indication that their marketing team literally didn't try with this game. Plenty of bad games have a great deal more players than this game had, by far less known studios. They must have completely abandoned the game for it to do this poorly.

I found out this game existed whilst scrolling twitter this morning..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Dulfite said:
ironmanDX said:

Square Enix is the publisher and they doubled the scope of the game but halving the budget. SE has been poor about marketing some games lately. Neo the World Ends With You and SE was shocked it sold badly when it had zero marketing. Guardians of the Galaxy sold badly and SE was shocked when it had no marketing.  Then they got Avengers a bad game out of a good developer. They Marketed left alive more than GoTG or Neo. Left Alive was bad. They marketed The Quiet Man... a horrendous game. SE can't help itself.

Last edited by Leynos - on 03 March 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Jesus. That's terrible. They shouldn't have released it if that's the best they can do.

I read 650k and had to do a double take. Damn that's bad.

Bombed hard

Hope Enix learn their lesson and stop spending money outsourcing their games, their best and most successful games are all in house, better to expand their current workforce

I do like square enix but I have to say. GOOD. The more these live services fail the less likely these companies are gona wana try to make them.

Im sure we are gona hear the same garbage response as we heard from the halo team. "Its gona get better over time". "We are listening to gamers". "We are working on the issues".

I really hope publishers drop service games before gamers start leaving.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Dulfite said:
ironmanDX said:

In my opinion, this is not a problem of marketing, the lack of marketing was a right and conscious decision

The first teaser was released 2 years ago and made no buzz whatsoever. The graphics are ugly and the game itself looks uninspired and uninteresting, after the very lukewarm reception they more likely decided to given up the project and let Platinum finish the game only because they would probably have to pay for it regardless if they decided to cancel the game in the middle of the development 

So they released and let it flop

The problem of this game was both the conception and the execution of the game itself, the few reviews were very clear how bad and clunk the game is. And both Enix and Platinum are responsible for making a bad game 

A dev more than anyone knows when a game have no hope, if this was a hopeless game since the reveal, why spending money marketing it ?