By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's better at implementing controller gimmicks, Nintendo or Sony?

PotentHerbs said:
Mar1217 said:

Just to make sure for everyone. This isn't a debate on who's got the best controllers but one of who's manage to have the better implementations and ideas that managed to continue with time until they become standardized.

Victory goes to Nintendo there without question really.

Nintendo has the edge, however, I wouldn't underestimate the impact the Dualsense could have on the industry. 

Based on how many games have Dualsense implementation, compared to the handful that don't, it's only a matter of time before haptic feedback and adaptive triggers become commonplace. 

Dont forget, Haptic Triggers was on the X1 and HD Rumble was on the Switch. X1 and Switch controllers already popularised the industry with the features.

I do praise Sony for adding a Voice Speaker, that i want to see standard.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
PotentHerbs said:

Nintendo has the edge, however, I wouldn't underestimate the impact the Dualsense could have on the industry. 

Based on how many games have Dualsense implementation, compared to the handful that don't, it's only a matter of time before haptic feedback and adaptive triggers become commonplace. 

Dont forget, Haptic Triggers was on the X1 and HD Rumble was on the Switch. X1 and Switch controllers already popularised the industry with the features.

I guess you forgot the speaker in the Wii and Wii U controllers lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Azzanation said:

From my understanding, the implementation of those features are not the same as the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback in the Dualsense, and definitely nowhere near popularizing it in the industry. 

There has been heaps of praise for games with good to great Dualsense implementation just in the first year of the PS5's launch, compared to those aforementioned features which aren't even mentioned in reviews, yet alone have the same kind of third party support that the Dualsense is consistently getting. 

PotentHerbs said:

From my understanding, the implementation of those features are not the same as the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback in the Dualsense, and definitely nowhere near popularizing it in the industry. 

There has been heaps of praise for games with good to great Dualsense implementation just in the first year of the PS5's launch, compared to those aforementioned features which aren't even mentioned in reviews, yet alone have the same kind of third party support that the Dualsense is consistently getting. 

The HD rumble in the Switch is pretty much the exact same thing. So I disagree. As for popularization, it's not coincidence that Sony implemented this after Nintendo. You're right that the triggers are different though

Leynos said:
Azzanation said:

I know, plus the speaker built into the 2nd controller on the Famicon. But i am more referring to voice chat via the controllers without the need of a head set.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Azzanation said:

I dont agree.

The X1 offered Haptic triggers and that controller is heavily used outside of the X1 eco system. Sure the Dualsense will offer a more refined version of it considered its almost a decade newer. However giving credit for its implementations should go to the X1 controller, back when people acted like they didn't care for active triggers to now it means everything in games.

Switch offered HD Rumble years before the Dualsense which is the exact same thing. And considering the popularity of the Switch, again credit should be given to Nintendo's implementation.

Azzanation said:
Leynos said:

I know, plus the speaker built into the 2nd controller on the Famicon. But i am more referring to voice chat via the controllers without the need of a head set.

I think used that video chat app thing on Wii U once as a gag with a friend and then never again lol

I like the idea on DS if it has speech to text as typing passwords sucks and I don't feel like digging out a keyboard.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Azzanation said:

I dont agree.

The X1 offered Haptic triggers and that controller is heavily used outside of the X1 eco system. Sure the Dualsense will offer a more refined version of it considered its almost a decade newer. However giving credit for its implementations should go to the X1 controller, back when people acted like they didn't care for active triggers to now it means everything in games.

Switch offered HD Rumble years before the Dualsense which is the exact same thing. And considering the popularity of the Switch, again credit should be given to Nintendo's implementation.

Haptic feedback in the triggers are different than what the adaptive triggers do. The adaptive triggers use a motor which puts a gear into place to create tension. Haptic feedback utilizes a motor which spins an off balance weight around to create vibration or uses linear resonate actuators which basically moves a mass up and down to create vibration (kind of a like a speaker). 

These are simplified explanations of course, but you get the idea. Tension isn't equal to vibration, and the LRA's (i.e. Dualsenses haptic feedback system) aren't the ones causing the tension. 

Doctor_MG said:
Azzanation said:

I dont agree.

Haptic feedback in the triggers are different than what the adaptive triggers do. The adaptive triggers use a motor which puts a gear into place to create tension. Haptic feedback utilizes a motor which spins an off balance weight around to create vibration or uses linear resonate actuators which basically moves a mass up and down to create vibration (kind of a like a speaker). 

These are simplified explanations of course, but you get the idea. Tension isn't equal to vibration, and the LRA's (i.e. Dualsenses haptic feedback system) aren't the ones causing the tension. 

I understand the tech advancement in the triggers, which is expected and thats what is it, an upgraded version of what the Haptics the X1 tried to offer. Best example for the X1 controller was used in Forza Horizon 2 where you could feel which side of the car spins out or the type of gravel the car drives on. Sure its no where near on par with the Dualsense or HD Rumble however it was the starting point of evolving the Rumble in controllers. 

Before the X1, all we were offered was Rumble, since the X1, we saw a leap forward in Rumble design. Dualsense basically took the Rumble Triggers from the X1 and improved upon them while taking the HD Rumble from the Joy Cons and combined them together. Great idea, however the features werent their ideas and werent popularised by Sony.

The X1 Controllers are the standard across the industry with PC being one of its dominate markets while HD Rumble was made popular by Nintendo. If both flopped and Sony came out the gate and reinvented the wheel and made them popular again, than id agree, but they didnt because the other controllers are extremely popular and far from flops.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 02 March 2022

Azzanation said:

I understand the tech advancement in the triggers, which is expected and thats what is it, an upgraded version of what the Haptics the X1 tried to offer. Best example for the X1 controller was used in Forza Horizon 2 where you could feel which side of the car spins out or the type of gravel the car drives on. Sure its no where near on par with the Dualsense or HD Rumble however it was the starting point of evolving the Rumble in controllers. 

Before the X1, all we were offered was Rumble, since the X1, we saw a leap forward in Rumble design. Dualsense basically took the Rumble Triggers from the X1 and improved upon them while taking the HD Rumble from the Joy Cons and combined them together. Great idea, however the features werent their ideas and werent popularised by Sony.

The X1 Controllers are the standard across the industry with PC being one of its dominate markets while HD Rumble was made popular by Nintendo. If both flopped and Sony came out the gate and reinvented the wheel and made them popular again, than id agree, but they didnt because the other controllers are extremely popular and far from flops.

You are misunderstanding, what is happening in the triggers of the Xbox One controllers is vibration. The adaptive triggers have nothing to do with vibration. It's creating tension, not vibration. 

Edit: Just for further clarification, it isn't using haptic feedback to create tension. It is creating tension through an entirely different means. This is more an evolution of analog triggers than anything.