By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's better at implementing controller gimmicks, Nintendo or Sony?

dane007 said:

Nintendo. They are usually the ones that start the innovations, then the rest follows.

Isnt the dual sense technology done by the guy who did the switch joy con?

The haptic feedback and HD rumble were developed by the same company. Controllers aren't developed by one person.

Around the Network

Nintendo been making new features since the dawn of home consoles. But I really appreciate the addition of a microphone in the controller so I’m giving this to Sony for staying current with people’s needs.

Doctor_MG said:
Leynos said:

Believe it or not not only did Nintendo not introduce shoulder buttons but Sony didn't introduce dual analog. XE-1AP. SEGA Mega Drive 1989 released only in Japan.

Dual Analog controller with shoulder buttons.

I think what's important to remember in these discussions is not just who did it "first", but whose implementation lead to widespread adoption. You can see the direct influence of the N64 controller on the industry. Not so much with this device. 

He asked if Nintendo were the first to introduce shoulder buttons. They were not. My post was responding not to OP but to a poster direct post.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Qwark said:

Ever since the Switch lite launched most of the interesting things about the Joy-Cons died. Haptic feedback is barely used anymore and the Switch lite can't Switch so that also made sure the more interesting aspects of the joy con aren't used anymore.

Most games still support motion control, and have single Joy-Con two player modes, so I don't think so.

The Joy-Con themselves are gimmicky, I'd say, but the concept behind them has been so successful that they aren't gimmicks anymore.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Nintendo, they are always looking at changing it up, Sony tends to stick to what they think their payer base likes or will accept

Last edited by Rab - on 26 February 2022

Leynos said:

He asked if Nintendo were the first to introduce shoulder buttons. They were not. My post was responding not to OP but to a poster direct post.

Ah, I apologize. I wasn't thinking of the context. Looking back, it's pretty obvious though. 

Well considering Sony tend to copy Nintendos gimmicks, it has to be Nintendo.

SegaHeart said:

Nintendo were the first to introduce shoulder buttons if I remember? they brought back analog in 5th generation which it was already in 2nd generation consoles like SG - 1000, Nintendo introduced rumble , Nintendo Introduced haptic feedback on Nintendo Switch before Dualsense , Sega introduced Motion gaming with activator before the WIi and PS2 eyetoy and Microsoft Kinect.

Sega did not do Motion gaming first. Did we forget Nintendo's History all of a sudden?

Nintendo introduced motion gaming way before Sega with the NES Power Glove in 1989.

They released the Power Mat in 1987

And the Light Gun in 1985

Last edited by Azzanation - on 25 February 2022

snyps said:

Nintendo been making new features since the dawn of home consoles. But I really appreciate the addition of a microphone in the controller so I’m giving this to Sony for staying current with people’s needs.

Was that with PS4 or 5?   Wii U gamepad has a mic in it.  Main time I used it was for MH3U.  I do remember blowing in it for DK level in Nintendoland.  Not sure why they didn't do same for switch.