By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's better at implementing controller gimmicks, Nintendo or Sony?

Nintendo and PlayStation have introduced a wide array of innovations and gimmicks to game controllers over the years. Fast forward to today, Nintendo Switch has its Joy-Con controllers which are detachable controllers that could be used simultaniously, or independently of eachother by passing one to another person for multiplayer. Complete with HD Rumble, motion controls, and an IR motion camera.

The PlayStation 5's DualSense features the motion sensor, touchpad and share/create button found on the DualShock 4, but also introduces a microphone, HD haptics and adaptive triggers. Between the first party games for each, who would you say is better at implimenting the unique controller features.

Around the Network

I've aways preferred Sony controllers. They are practical, comfortable and ergonomic. When I touch a Dualshock I feel like the controller was made exactly for gaming, because all games works flawless. I never, ever, felt like a Sony games have any problem with controllers input, everything was there exactly where it should be 

As for Nintendo things can be much messier. I never had a single Bluetooth problem with PS4 controllers, but Switch controllers suffers from perpetual desync issues 

Based on how you're defining gimmicks, I guess it'd have to be Nintendo. I don't have a PS5 so I dunno how things are going with that, but the trackpad, motion controlls, and such on PS3 and PS4 were hardly used at all.

The winner is the one that made Wii Sports

Nintendo has really pushed gyro-aiming so gonna say Nintendo.

Around the Network

It's Nintendo by a long shot. The way they've handled gimmicky peripherals throughout their gaming history has actually hurt the longevity of their games because of how they've designed games around their gimmicky controllers. Take Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Skyward Sword on Wii for example that were ported to the Switch. You give someone a DualSense controller and then hand them an original DualShock controller, it'll feel similar enough in the hand and they'll know how to operate it. It's under the hood where Sony has made huge strides in tech such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

You give someone a pair of joy-cons, it might feel weird holding one in each hand initially, but it's similar enough to a regular controller in button and trigger placement that they'll get it, BUT, if you go from joy-cons and hand them a Wii Remote with a Nunchuk attached to it, then hand them a N64 controller, they'll lose their minds xD

My vote is with Nintendo. Nintendo is fantastic at controller innovation and they often nail the delivery of it. Nintendo's only problem is that they don't always STICK with it. That is, when the next generation Nintendo system comes all bets are off. But here are a few Nintendo innovations. BTW, to clarify many of these items Nintendo didn't invent, but their integration lead to widespread adoption by competitors (i.e. Sony, Sega, or Microsoft).

D-Pad, Shoulder buttons, four face buttons, analog stick, vibration, wireless controllers with RF communication, microphone integration, headphone jack, touchscreen capabilities, all of these have been widely adopted or adopted by direct competitors after Nintendo. There are also some things that haven't been widely adopted by their competitors at this time, such as split controller setup, NFC, and infrared motion.

Sony has innovated as well. Though it seems "simple", adding extra shoulder buttons and another analog stick was a great thing to do and created the template for most controllers going forward. I also think their resistive trigger idea is very cool. The convenience of having a dedicated share button was also a good idea and one that both MS and Nintendo have copied. However, I wish they wouldn't have removed the select/start buttons.

Honestly Nintendo generally experiments a lot more, and that has created the ones that stick around as well as...the ones that don't. Sony added a few things I believe, but not nearly as frequently.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

gtotheunit91 said:

It's Nintendo by a long shot. The way they've handled gimmicky peripherals throughout their gaming history has actually hurt the longevity of their games because of how they've designed games around their gimmicky controllers. Take Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Skyward Sword on Wii for example that were ported to the Switch. You give someone a DualSense controller and then hand them an original DualShock controller, it'll feel similar enough in the hand and they'll know how to operate it. It's under the hood where Sony has made huge strides in tech such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

You give someone a pair of joy-cons, it might feel weird holding one in each hand initially, but it's similar enough to a regular controller in button and trigger placement that they'll get it, BUT, if you go from joy-cons and hand them a Wii Remote with a Nunchuk attached to it, then hand them a N64 controller, they'll lose their minds xD

Not a fan of when people say this. Sony is in no way original in their implementation of haptic feedback aside from offering a bigger voice coil than, say, the Joycons. Even the way that Dualsense creates vibration (through sound files) is the same way as the Joycons.  

Nintendo because at least they didn't put an anal plunger ball at end of controller and call it the move.