By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
the-pi-guy said:

This right here, feels pretty wild.

Almost 90% say they would want to carry on fighting even if Russia used nuclear weapons against them?

Probably a case of them thinking they'd have nothing left to lose if it came to that, I mean, Russia is already causing damage which will take dozens of years to undo, both mentally and physically, even if they did surrender due to a nuke, Russia would just take over and ethnic cleanse Ukraine, killing and raping Ukrainians across the country, a lot of them would end up dead or imprisoned and they'd lose their country forever. Ukrainians are incredibly brave as well. I'd take this as them wanting to go out on their own terms rather than ever be under Russian rule.

This! I'm actually surprised the number willing to keep fighting doesn't increase for nukes. To me that would be the point where it changes from just wanting russia out of your land to wanting russia to cease to exist.

SanAndreasX said:

China still thinks they're the "Middle Kingdom." LOL.

They kind of are though. That's literally what 中国 (Zhongguo), the name of their country, means.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 14 February 2023

So, since Germany allows to send Leopard tanks to Ukraine, where are all those countries which were supposed to send some? I find it kinda weird that countries like Finland talked about it but now they are like "nahhh".

And I think Germany should try much more as they do with equipment but Germany still does more than most others (especially for air defense) and yet most others complain about Germany not doing enough lol. 

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 15 February 2023

crissindahouse said:

So, since Germany allows to send Leopard tanks to Ukraine, where are all those countries which were supposed to send some? I find it kinda weird that countries like Finland talked about it but now they are like "nahhh".

Disappointing so far, I was definitely expecting more, some use the excuse of needing them for defence but defence against who exactly? Who the hell is attacking us? Who do we need tanks for? We're not fighting hypothetical China with tanks, that'll be an air/sea battle, so are we saving them for Russia? The country which is currently attacking Ukraine? So why not give Ukraine lots of tanks to remove a threat for a very long time.

Finland, I can forgive them a little as they border Russia and aren't currently in NATO but some NATO countries, Spain for example, have hundreds of Leopard 2's.

Side note, I feel sorry for the engineer who has to learn the mechanics/logistics of Leopard 2, Leopard 1, Challenger 2 and Abrams, Lol. Ukraine should have really had hundreds of one model of tank rather than 4.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 February 2023

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
crissindahouse said:

Disappointing so far, I was definitely expecting more, some use the excuse of needing them for defence but defence against who exactly? Who the hell is attacking us? Who do we need tanks for? We're not fighting hypothetical China with tanks, that'll be an air/sea battle, so are we saving them for Russia? The country which is currently attacking Ukraine? So why not give Ukraine lots of tanks to remove a threat for a very long time.

Finland, I can forgive them a little as they border Russia and aren't currently in NATO but some NATO countries, Spain for example, have hundreds of Leopard 2's.

And those you listed aren't even safe. The Leopard delivery of Spain as example is still not 100% safe as much as I understood. 

crissindahouse said:
Ryuu96 said:

And those you listed aren't even for certain. The Leopard delivery of Spain as example is still not 100% safe as much as I understood. 

Berlin also announced last month that it would let allies re-export German-made tanks to Ukraine, and said it wanted to team up with its allies to create two tank battalions of Leopard 2s, equating to about 90 tanks.

But so far, apart from Germany only Poland has given the green light for substantial deliveries. Late last month, Canada announced it would send four Leopard 2 tanks and Norway said on Tuesday it was also providing eight.

Pistorius said Portugal had agreed to send three Leopard 2A6s — a commitment he described as an “appropriate contribution” for a relatively small country. But there were currently “no talks under way” on sending more A6s, he added.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times (ft.com)

I think aside from Spain, the others are confirmed, it is however still short of the expected number (49/90).

"Thirteen European armies operate some 2,000 of the tanks, according to the International Institute for Strategic Studies"

How are we only mustering up 49 when we have 2,000? Lol.

crissindahouse said:

I find it kinda weird that countries like Finland talked about it but now they are like "nahhh".

Not our proudest moment (although I'm not sure we promised anything - certainly at least brought up the idea though), I'd say, but if it helped to get things moving at all, it was probably worth it even if we're not participating by giving away tanks immediately. Besides - and I'm not sure how much this was reported outside Finland - there was a lot of talk about the number of tanks being very small because supposedly they all have a purpose. Just recently I saw some speculation that we might be giving some tanks once our NATO process is complete, but I'm not sure about the numbers if that's the case. Anyway, I wish we'd be giving away at least a few tanks (how hard/expensive can it be to replace them, and how much do we really need them?), but for a non-NATO country with a long border with Russia, I still wouldn't call this horrible. Really wish Turkey would just stop playing games and move on with the process, since that's what's probably going to happen eventually.

But yeah, the tank thing is definitely not moving as nicely as it should. Sounds like there will be a lot of Leopard 1s, which is probably not what most most had in mind... By the way, does anyone here have any idea how Leopard 1 compares to what they would be up against? Leopard 2 certainly sounds pretty neat, but Leopard 1 is not as clear.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 15 February 2023

Erdogan is playing politics as per usual, man is a massive dick but he'll likely stop being a roadblock once the elections in Turkey are done with.

Sweden is a lot more uncertain, again, Erdogan is being a twat. I think it may be best for Sweden and Finland to join separately, at least if Finland is in NATO, Sweden would have the safety barrier of a NATO country being between them and Russia.

Finland could then at least send Ukraine more heavy weaponry under the safety net of NATO.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 February 2023

Ryuu96 said:
crissindahouse said:

Side note, I feel sorry for the engineer who has to learn the mechanics/logistics of Leopard 2, Leopard 1, Challenger 2 and Abrams, Lol. Ukraine should have really had hundreds of one model of tank rather than 4.

I let that slide if they are mostly just the active units plus a little reserve (+-20% extra for replacements if one breaks down and for spare parts). If they don't have much more than that I can understand not sending much, but otherwise yeah, they shouldn't be so reluctant then.

Portugal only had 37 Leo 2 to begin with, they can't send much more; Norway had 52, so not much better here. Poland instead opted to send more T-72 and PT-91 to Ukraine (30 additional each) and are probably keeping their Leos in reserve until the K2 tanks start rolling in. German's army was notoriously underfunded and their equipment not in any state of readiness, as such, I didn't expect much more from them. Canada is also a bit disappointing, considering they have 82 Leo 2 (62 A4 and 20 A6M), they could also have gone with 8. For Spain, I don't find numbers on how many 2A4 they have left. But since they should all been replaced by the 2A6-based Leopard 2E about 10-15 years ago, they should have plenty in storage. So only sending 6 looks like a pretty poor showing to me.