By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 104M - Global Hardware Feb 6-12

What caused the 400k ?

Around the Network

I find it amusing how close the XBS is to the PS5 in Asia.

Sony is really ditching Europe to remain competitive in USA. Well Nintendo if you ever want to make a move in Europe now is your chance.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

Sony is really ditching Europe to remain competitive in USA. Well Nintendo if you ever want to make a move in Europe now is your chance.

Literally. I feel like Sony won't be able to send big stocks to Europe for the rest of the year. They probably feel like they need to prioritize US since that market can just change a lot every generation and MS has always been big there. 

Nintendo could give the Switch a price cut entering the Summer + Strikers and it would be a great combo there.

Qwark said:

In Eastern Europe where I am, SONY and MS are really ultra dominant, but this has changed a lot in 4 years, I am in the country side of Hungary, in the 10th biggest town (80000 people), in 2017-2018 the Switch was a rare exotic device nearly invisible everywhere except Budapest, now there are Switch everywhere near the PSs and XBOSs in my little town.

Around the Network

I've seen a lot more stock in the US for Switch OLED this month compared to last on Amazon. It still sells out periodically and you have to wait a month before you get it (even with the fastest shipping) but at least you can procure one now, unlike January, when I saw it available only a couple of times I looked.

My guess is Switch takes #1 for February NPD.

Qwark said:

I guess it makes sense. If they only have a limited number of products to ship due to chip shortage then it makes sense I suppose to focus them on the only region that is actually competitive. Nintendo dominates Asia and Playstation is an afterthought there. In Europe Sony dominates while Nintendo is a strong second and Microsoft a decent third. But in NA all three are very competitive. Because of the Playstation's brand dominance in Europe they can more afford to have lower sales now and make up sales later, than they can in USA where ceding competitive advantage to MS and Nintendo would hurt PS5 sales long term. And Japan just doesn't even matter because they don't get many sales there anyway, and its a smaller market as well.

Switch pulling in nearly 400k in a regular non-holiday week without a major release, on the verge its 5th birthday, just insane.

Also, Switch above PS5 and XS combined and nearly double PS5 in Europe of all places is just weird to see, as much I get the reasons why.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 February 2022

Kakadu18 said:

I find it amusing how close the XBS is to the PS5 in Asia.

Looking at the Japan numbers, I never thought I'd see the day a current PlayStation console outsells a current Xbox console in Japan by less than 500 units in a week. 

Maybe there was a time during the PS3 and 360 days where the 360 had a really close week in Japan, but I don't know. 

PlayStation has been giving up more and more in Japan since at least 2016. Xbox on the other hand sees the growth of Game Pass (console and PC) in Japan, as well as the growth of their hardware business in Japan. 

PlayStation is shipping aggressively to North America due to stiff competition with Xbox. Historically, Xbox takes first (Xbox 360) or second place in the Americas (that is if you factor the Xbox One competing with just PS4 and Wii U and exclude the Switch). 

For PlayStation's sake, hopefully they keep Europe a massive priority like they usually have. I also think they should invest in Japan a lot more. 

I'm surprised Xbox One still managed 1,830 this week since it was recently confirmed that the Xbox One was discontinued at the end of 2020. I would've expected Xbox One to be down to about 900-1,000 a week at this point as the last shipments are sold. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Switch did nearly 400k on a week where nothing special happened, and it also passed 104M.  Folks, the Switch cliff is never going to come.  I hope most people realize this now.  If you are hoping for a Switch cliff, then abandon all hope now.

People are thinking Switch will plummet quickly like certain past systems, i.e. the Wii or DS (eventually).  The Switch is actually performing like a past system, but that system is the NES/Famicom.  That is the last time that Nintendo could focus all of its resources on supporting one system.  It was also the most dominant system in history, at least in Japan and US.  The Switch is a return to form.  It's just as dominant in Japan as the Famicom, and it's doing extremely well in the other parts of the world.  The NES sold for several years after the SNES launched.  Expect the Switch to keep selling too.

Mar1217 said:

I wonder if there's a slight possibility to see the Switch completely outselling both the XSe and PS5 once Strikers comes for the Switch on June. It could potentially be the "FIFA" moment the Switch needed to propel itself high in the european territory ...

I do think Switch can do this if they can keep supply up.  However, I think the FIFA-like title you should be looking at is Switch Sports.  It can pull in real life football/soccer fans that do not play FIFA video games.