By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts January 2022 Discussion Thread

2 years ago I thought it was impossible for the Switch to top the PS4, but after everything that has happened, it's going to get beaten in a couple months. Crazy to think that 5 years ago we were looking at a Nintendo coming off the disaster of the Wii U and now they have a system that is going to compete with the legendary DS and PS2.

Around the Network
Norion said:
Kakadu18 said:

Both their XBS and Switch numbers asume that sell through has been extremely low. We know for a fact that both had high sell through and were supply constrained. And yet even against Nintendo's estimates they say the Switch didn't hit 100mil sell through in December and XBS has over 2mil unsold consoles. Any idiot can tell their XBS numbers are BS.

There may be some value to it but since we're not getting official XBS numbers I bet their numbers will stray farther and farther away from all other estimates. And once again their Switch numbers are also to low.

I was referring to VGChartz, not Ampere. I was agreeing with the part about people dismissing the estimates from here.

Ah, I misread it.

I don't follow sales... but at a glance if the Switch is tracking below the DS... why are people so confident the Switch will pass the DS?

Chrkeller said:

I don't follow sales... but at a glance if the Switch is tracking below the DS... why are people so confident the Switch will pass the DS?

Because the Switch has more longevity and won't be replaced next year.

Rol made a thread about the Switch reaching 160mil, you should check it out.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 18 February 2022

curl-6 said:

Nice to see XS still outpacing Xbone even with under severe supply constraints.
As PS5, now that MS have said they won't be locking away their acquisitions, I think it's back in with a shot of outselling PS4 once the chip crunch abates.

I think it's going to depend on the lifespan of the PS5 really, and if/when a revision is released.  To get to 116 million sold, the PS4 needed a Pro model revision that saw a lot of people who already owned a PS4 double-dipping to upgrade their console (not shade by the way, the XBox One had the One X, and the Switch has had the Lite and now OLED).  The PS4 Pro released 3 years after PS4 launched.  3 years into the PS5 launch is going to be too soon for a revision, because they haven't been able to keep the base model in stock.  Which means a smaller pool of people in the PS5 ecosystem to tempt into double dipping.  

Around the Network

Wow, can't keep up with the PS3. That really puts the shortages into perspective.

PS5 is about to fall way behind Wii. And with all these shortages, it isn't guaranteed to pass it unless we are looking at another lengthy generation.

I still have PS5 around the 110-115 million range but increased competition from Microsoft, plus shortages will make it hard to reach those numbers.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I'm still positive PS5 will pass the Wii lifetime, if only because it's almost certainly going to be well supported for much, much longer.

Nintendo really dropped the ball after the Wii's first 4 years.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 February 2022

Good for XS so far, though unless it also gets 8 years before replacement, it's going to need to built up a big lead to buffer against the 360's long lifespan.

For a lot of these charts' US behavior looks a lot like worldwide behavior. I guess the charts with XBox systems being the main exceptions.