By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts January 2022 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison - January 2022

These charts are great.  For quite a long time 3DS was ahead of Switch in Japan.  And yet now Switch sales are still rocketing upward while 3DS is pretty much done.

I don't even know if I'd call this "legs" so much as "timing".  The 3DS had that big price cut early on.  That skewed it's sales curve near the beginning.  Meanwhile, it appeared Switch started strong, but then it turbo charged around around 2.5 years old or so.  And that turbo charge is really what is going to define the Switch's sales curve for most of its long lifespan.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - January 2022

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The 99th month for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is January 2022, while for the Xbox 360 it is January 2014 and for the PlayStation 3 it is January 2015. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

Gap change in latest month: 323,030 - PS3 & X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,387,553 - PS3 & X360

Total Lead: 85,481 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Sales: 167,041,372

Total Combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Sales: 167,116,853

In January 2022, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the last month by 323,030 units. In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have caught up by 6.39 million units. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One lead by a combined 85,481 units.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in their first 99 months sold a combined 167.04 million units, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 167.12 million units.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 173.22 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are currently 6.10 million units away from surpassing the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are set to fall behind the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in the next update for the first time ever.

Next month, 8th gen's lead is finally gone. The superior consoles shall come out on top. >:)

Close fight in the US between PS5 and XS compared to last gen. Much more competitive which makes it more interesting to watch.

Switch vs Wii fast approaching the point of the latter's last relevant holiday and subsequent fadeout. So long as its not cut short, Switch should leg it to victory.

I know the PS3 had some good legs, but the Switch is still going strong and looks like it will have good legs too. I think it will stay ahead of the PS3 from here on.

Around the Network

Interesting how the Wii's lead in the US and Europe is basically the same currently.