Bad design but still cool idea 17 24.29%

Maybe a Steam Deck Mini w... 3 4.29%

Does it come with a wireless gamepad? lol 1 1.43%

I'll just play it on my c... 0 0%

It's huge but still looking forward to it 11 15.71%

You're crazy it looks awesome 19 27.14%

Total:70
rapsuperstar31 said:

After the Wii U failures the doubters of the Switch were justified.  I buy every Nintendo console so I would have bought it even if it failed but I don't have a problem with anyone that doubted the Switch.  Valve failed with the steam machines so having some doubt for the Steamdeck is fine as well.  Lets hope the machine rocks and does well.

Valve failed with the Steam machines because they hardly had a handle in the designs of them. All they did was simply work on their Steam OSS and allowed multiple vendors to create their own "steam machines", and that ended up becoming a quick mess (Alienware having the balls to shove lesser parts into their box and charging nearly £1000 and more, which defeated the point of cheap price entry Steam machine models and they were not the only one).

The Deck is being entirely handled by Valve and especially in regards to Steam verification.

The people who already got their hands on it are already pleased, just like early reviews for the Switch were. I'm more certain that the Deck is going to do well with who it's aimed at, but of course it's not going to do well with who it clearly isn't aimed at.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Obviously it's speculation, but the forum would be pretty boring if we took a wait and see approach to every product. 

As for the Switch's portability, people are really overselling the difficulty of putting in your pocket.

If you're a man, you can likely fit it into a pocket without much issue. Maybe Shaq can fit a Steamdeck into his pockets. Maybe...

Yeah, but going by past "speculation" on this site, it's always and mostly composed of doom and gloom talks and that's always stale to look at, and coupled with the stigma on here with PC gaming, it looks about as predictable as saying the sky is blue. 

Also I'm a man, but no sir, the Switch does not fit in my pockets as easily as the thumbnail suggests, and not every single pair of trousers has the pockets deep enough to fit a whole Switch in it, and I know not everyone can pocket one perfectly without it sticking out either. 

The Gameboy advance and SP models slip into your pockets far more easily than the Switch. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Dulfite said:

To me it isn't about eye candy. I can fit OG Switch in my pockets (adult man). No way could one fit this in their pocket unless they dressed like a goth and had those massive pockets.

It's about the pockets. Nothing else matters but the pockets. You see now that this is a universal  truth?

Well, I need my pockets for more important things than a handheld: smartphone, keychain and wallet.

Only if I wear a jacket I have sometimes a pocket to spare for a handheld.

It's still smaller than just about any gaming laptop with similar specs.
It's not for me, but I see why it would have enough appeal for a niche market.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Chazore said:
JWeinCom said:

Obviously it's speculation, but the forum would be pretty boring if we took a wait and see approach to every product. 

As for the Switch's portability, people are really overselling the difficulty of putting in your pocket.

If you're a man, you can likely fit it into a pocket without much issue. Maybe Shaq can fit a Steamdeck into his pockets. Maybe...

Yeah, but going by past "speculation" on this site, it's always and mostly composed of doom and gloom talks and that's always stale to look at, and coupled with the stigma on here with PC gaming, it looks about as predictable as saying the sky is blue. 

Also I'm a man, but no sir, the Switch does not fit in my pockets as easily as the thumbnail suggests, and not every single pair of trousers has the pockets deep enough to fit a whole Switch in it, and I know not everyone can pocket one perfectly without it sticking out either. 

The Gameboy advance and SP models slip into your pockets far more easily than the Switch. 

I said likely. So I guess you're one of the unlucky few with strangely small pockets. 

The Switch just isn't that much bigger than other portables, when you consider the fact that Joycons can be removed. Without Joycons (which can be put in another pocket) it's almost the same size as a 3DS XL (slightly longer but thinner and lighter), and not much bigger than phones that people carry with them everywhere. If you really want to carry the Switch in your pockets, I think you can do it. I believe in you! You just have to find the courage to believe in yourself!

As for the SP, yes duh. Yes, it's easier to fit in your pocket. Much easier. That's an advantage of the SP. And the Switch is infinitely more easy to fit in your pocket than a Steam Deck, because the Steam Deck is not fitting in any normal sized pocket. And it is not unreasonable for people to figure that with a product that is using a handheld form factor, the fact that it is not very portable is a huge disadvantage.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

I said likely. So I guess you're one of the unlucky few with strangely small pockets. 

The Switch just isn't that much bigger than other portables, when you consider the fact that Joycons can be removed. Without Joycons (which can be put in another pocket) it's almost the same size as a 3DS XL (slightly longer but thinner and lighter), and not much bigger than phones that people carry with them everywhere. If you really want to carry the Switch in your pockets, I think you can do it. I believe in you! You just have to find the courage to believe in yourself!

As for the SP, yes duh. Yes, it's easier to fit in your pocket. Much easier. That's an advantage of the SP. And the Switch is infinitely more easy to fit in your pocket than a Steam Deck, because the Steam Deck is not fitting in any normal sized pocket. And it is not unreasonable for people to figure that with a product that is using a handheld form factor, the fact that it is not very portable is a huge disadvantage.

I've honestly yet to spot anyone out in the wild with a Switch crammed into their black hole/hammer space-style trousers, and also sitting down with it in their pockets.

The vast majority I've seen online have their personal carry cases, either style-based or official from Nintendo, and not crammed into their trousers.

Why should I have to remove joycons to then fit it in my pocket, and then take up another pocket space to fit the joycons on?, this is just making excuses for the fact that not everyone is gonna cram the thing into their pockets all the time, this is exactly why the carry cases and bags exist for them.

Yuri had a good point about not wanting to stuff it into his pocket and that was the joysticks and causing more stick drift, and we know Nintendo is hella guilty with their joycon drift, so that's just another reason not to stick it in my pocket, let alone the joycons into another. 

The Deck has it's own carry case just like the Switch, which I know most folks will be using, otherwise neither would be making any sorts of carry cases in the first place, if they knew 99% of the world was just stuffing them into their pockets all the time. 

I love how this thread had become so focused on the pockets.

Love.

It.

Hardware is absolutely great but the form factor is not.
Too big, too heavy. Looks like a brick.

As I havnt hold it in person yet I cant comment on sticks and buttons.. but not liking the look on its postion. But I'll hold my judgment on that for now

Chazore said:
JWeinCom said:

I've honestly yet to spot anyone out in the wild with a Switch crammed into their black hole/hammer space-style trousers, and also sitting down with it in their pockets.

The vast majority I've seen online have their personal carry cases, either style-based or official from Nintendo, and not crammed into their trousers.

Why should I have to remove joycons to then fit it in my pocket, and then take up another pocket space to fit the joycons on?, this is just making excuses for the fact that not everyone is gonna cram the thing into their pockets all the time, this is exactly why the carry cases and bags exist for them.

Yuri had a good point about not wanting to stuff it into his pocket and that was the joysticks and causing more stick drift, and we know Nintendo is hella guilty with their joycon drift, so that's just another reason not to stick it in my pocket, let alone the joycons into another. 

The Deck has it's own carry case just like the Switch, which I know most folks will be using, otherwise neither would be making any sorts of carry cases in the first place, if they knew 99% of the world was just stuffing them into their pockets all the time. 

There's a video of someone above putting his Switch into very normal sized pants directly above you. Doesn't look like there is a black hole in there. Jackets also have pockets by the way.

You have to detach the joycons and engage a whole SECOND POCKET?! Madness. WHY SHOULD YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THAT?! Seriously, you're trying to make this sound like the most complex thing in the world. It's not very hard. I don't think I've said that all, or even most people actually do that. I'm not going to speculate as to how many people actually do because I don't have anything beyond very limited anecdotal data.  

They only make carrying cases because most people use them? Ummmm... no? If some people use them, that's sufficient. They sold carrying cases for the SP too, so pretty dumb argument. Pretty sure they've sold carrying cases for every noteworthy portable system ever. You are going to comical lengths to avoid the obvious point. Being able to fit in your pocket is a big plus for handhelds. The Steamdeck cannot fit in your pocket. And, the bulky size makes it generally more cumbersome than smaller systems wherever you do carry it. Many people think that this significantly diminishes the Steam Deck's appeal. Pretty rational position. 

JWeinCom said:

There's a video of someone above putting his Switch into very normal sized pants directly above you. Doesn't look like there is a black hole in there. Jackets also have pockets by the way.

You have to detach the joycons and engage a whole SECOND POCKET?! Madness. WHY SHOULD YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THAT?! Seriously, you're trying to make this sound like the most complex thing in the world. It's not very hard. I don't think I've said that all, or even most people actually do that. I'm not going to speculate as to how many people actually do because I don't have anything beyond very limited anecdotal data.  

They only make carrying cases because most people use them? Ummmm... no? If some people use them, that's sufficient. They sold carrying cases for the SP too, so pretty dumb argument. Pretty sure they've sold carrying cases for every noteworthy portable system ever. You are going to comical lengths to avoid the obvious point. Being able to fit in your pocket is a big plus for handhelds. The Steamdeck cannot fit in your pocket. And, the bulky size makes it generally more cumbersome than smaller systems wherever you do carry it. Many people think that this significantly diminishes the Steam Deck's appeal. Pretty rational position. 

Yes I know, and I was saying that just because he can in the video, doesn't mean everyone can or will, that's the point I was trying to make.

Having to detach joycons to make it fit in the pocket just defeats the argument of having the whole device apparently fit entirely into your pocket in the first place.

See I'm not the one making a complex argument of why the Deck has to fit in your pocket or it's in dead water here, you guys in this very thread are bringing up the pocket argument and defending the Switch "semi" being able to fit into "some" people's pockets, and that Deck somehow has to do that or you may as well own a desktop PC, which already sounds like a dumb argument to begin with. 

Both devices support their own respective carry cases, both will support mini bags to carry them within said carry cases, that is after all why they exist, to serve that purpose. If they were never at all needed, then why do they exist if they can perfectly fit into everyone's pocket?. 

It's not rational at all when we know for a fact that most people use the carrying cases and even say so in this very thread. The fact that Nintendo is selling all forms of carry cases proves merit to this and makes the idea that "it's pocket or die" to being completely irrational and stupid to one's intellect.

No, the deck doesn't have to fit into your pocket of all places. it has a carry case, people don't shove laptops into their pockets, let alone tablets big and small, they put them into handbags, carry cases, satchel bags, backpacks.

It's not diminishing it's appeal in such a large way as the few of you here are making it out to be, and making it one of the biggest reasons to not bother with it just comes off as really, really dumb.