Way too big, who wants to play an anvil? 19 27.14%

Bad design but still cool idea 17 24.29%

Maybe a Steam Deck Mini w... 3 4.29%

Does it come with a wireless gamepad? lol 1 1.43%

I'll just play it on my c... 0 0%

It's huge but still looking forward to it 11 15.71%

You're crazy it looks awesome 19 27.14%

Total:70

Its big but who puts switch in their pocket when they travel? Dont most people carry a bag when they travel around with a switch? Soze maoes sense considering the specs that its carrying. Anything smaller would cause it to overheat

Around the Network
Chazore said:
JWeinCom said:

There's a video of someone above putting his Switch into very normal sized pants directly above you. Doesn't look like there is a black hole in there. Jackets also have pockets by the way.

You have to detach the joycons and engage a whole SECOND POCKET?! Madness. WHY SHOULD YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THAT?! Seriously, you're trying to make this sound like the most complex thing in the world. It's not very hard. I don't think I've said that all, or even most people actually do that. I'm not going to speculate as to how many people actually do because I don't have anything beyond very limited anecdotal data.  

They only make carrying cases because most people use them? Ummmm... no? If some people use them, that's sufficient. They sold carrying cases for the SP too, so pretty dumb argument. Pretty sure they've sold carrying cases for every noteworthy portable system ever. You are going to comical lengths to avoid the obvious point. Being able to fit in your pocket is a big plus for handhelds. The Steamdeck cannot fit in your pocket. And, the bulky size makes it generally more cumbersome than smaller systems wherever you do carry it. Many people think that this significantly diminishes the Steam Deck's appeal. Pretty rational position. 

Yes I know, and I was saying that just because he can in the video, doesn't mean everyone can or will, that's the point I was trying to make.

Having to detach joycons to make it fit in the pocket just defeats the argument of having the whole device apparently fit entirely into your pocket in the first place.

See I'm not the one making a complex argument of why the Deck has to fit in your pocket or it's in dead water here, you guys in this very thread are bringing up the pocket argument and defending the Switch "semi" being able to fit into "some" people's pockets, and that Deck somehow has to do that or you may as well own a desktop PC, which already sounds like a dumb argument to begin with. 

Both devices support their own respective carry cases, both will support mini bags to carry them within said carry cases, that is after all why they exist, to serve that purpose. If they were never at all needed, then why do they exist if they can perfectly fit into everyone's pocket?. 

It's not rational at all when we know for a fact that most people use the carrying cases and even say so in this very thread. The fact that Nintendo is selling all forms of carry cases proves merit to this and makes the idea that "it's pocket or die" to being completely irrational and stupid to one's intellect.

No, the deck doesn't have to fit into your pocket of all places. it has a carry case, people don't shove laptops into their pockets, let alone tablets big and small, they put them into handbags, carry cases, satchel bags, backpacks.

It's not diminishing it's appeal in such a large way as the few of you here are making it out to be, and making it one of the biggest reasons to not bother with it just comes off as really, really dumb.

I've addressed all of this already. Nintendo selling carrying cases doesn't mean most people use them and more than them selling Joy Con wheels mean every people use those. Never said everyone could fit a Switch in their pocket, and in fact said differently several times. Not going to bother with strawmen.

dane007 said:

Its big but who puts switch in their pocket when they travel? Dont most people carry a bag when they travel around with a switch? Soze maoes sense considering the specs that its carrying. Anything smaller would cause it to overheat

Yeah its size is pretty big though the Switch isn't exactly super portable either. Everyone that I've seen that use one carry them in their bags so its not like people aren't used to lugging around larger devices with them.

There's so many hot takes on this forum when they see something they don't like when they haven't seen or tried in person. That its getting a bit silly. For all we know it could be the most comfortable handheld to hold and play or it could be bad - we have no idea until the NDA is up and we have it out in the wild. And some vastly underestimating the demand for a similar kind of device. Atm there are hardly any other big companies outside of Nintendo trying to enter the handheld market. And here we with a Steam device thats a fully functioning handheld PC, designed for portable gaming on the go for $399-650 US.

Last edited by hinch - on 06 February 2022

dane007 said:

I put my Switch in my pocket personally. I play it mostly on the train to my school/work, so I like to be able to access it quickly and not have to fiddle with a carrying case/bag when I have to get off the train. https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6kzxlv/do_you_ever_put_your_switch_in_your_pocket/ I'm not the only one. Also just convenient to be able to slide it in a pocket just to carry it around the house. Not a necessity but good.

The Switch is really besides the point though. Portability isn't the only reason to buy a Switch, or even probably the primary reason, which would be the exclusives. So, the portability for the Switch is more of a bonus feature in a sense. For this, there are other machines that run the exact same games, often better, so aside from portability and price, its utility is questionable. Portability is kind of the whole point. It has one job. The bigger it becomes, the less purpose it has.

Maybe it's the smallest they could make it, but then maybe the product just shouldn't be made at this point. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 06 February 2022

JWeinCom said:

Portability is kind of the whole point. It has one job. The bigger it becomes, the less purpose it has.

Maybe it's the smallest they could make it, but then maybe the product just shouldn't be made at this point.

So everyone who is fine with the size and weight shouldn't be able to buy that device because other people may find it too big?

What an egocentric attitude!

Around the Network
Conina said:
JWeinCom said:

Portability is kind of the whole point. It has one job. The bigger it becomes, the less purpose it has.

So everyone who is fine with the size and weight shouldn't be able to buy that device because other people may find it too big?

How the fuck did you get that from my statement O_o? 

If the product is not going to appeal to an audience that is large enough to make it profitable, then a company shouldn't make it. I loved the shit out of my Wii U, but Nintendo definitely should not have made it. 

Conina said:
JWeinCom said:

Companies should stop making laptops and ipads as well as those are bigger than the switch too! You can't fit 10 inch ipads inside of your pockets so they are pointless!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I dont get why they mixed it with controls. Should have hooked a good ol' Xbox controller and make it less bulkier/ unwiedly

Killy_Vorkosigan said:

I dont get why they mixed it with controls. Should have hooked a good ol' Xbox controller and make it less bulkier/ unwiedly

It's because they are trying to ensure the best compatibility for over 10,000 games that are on steam. Many games on Steam does not use controllers as an input method so for those games, the touchpads on the sides should be able to emulate basic keyboard/mouse functions.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Conina said:

Companies should stop making laptops and ipads as well as those are bigger than the switch too! You can't fit 10 inch ipads inside of your pockets so they are pointless!

Yep, that is a completely logical interpretation of what I said and not a ridiculous strawman. Any product bigger than a nickel should be burned along with anyone who possesses one.