By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony acquires Bungie for $3.6 billion - staying multiplatform

Crazy times. I enjoyed the first Destiny a lot but wasn't really into the 2 because it was really just more of the same. Sony will probably distinguish any multiplat games with special items exclusive to them.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

A bit odd that Bungie will be "an independent subsidiary" and they will remain a multiplatform studio. Especially with a deal worth $3.6 billion.

Yeah I think that’s just PR. They’re not gonna spend over 3.5 billion for them to keep doing what they’re 

As I posted in the article, my guess is that Sony will use this to negotiate with Microsoft to have Call of Duty remain on PlayStation indefinitely. Destiny certainly isn't as big of an IP as Call of Duty, but it is a major AAA game that has shown an ability to keep players engaged in the long term. Microsoft definitely does not want to lose it from Xbox, as it has a loyal fan base that would very likely move to PlayStation in order to keep playing the game, if necessary.

I count myself among those people. I play Destiny on Xbox, but I'm certainly not going to give up Destiny if it were to go PlayStation exclusive. Now, I'm a multi-platform gamer, so MS wouldn't lose.me as a customer. But, they would lose the 80ish dollars a year that I spend on Destiny coming through their store. That probably represents 15-25% of my gaming expenditures most years (excluding hardware). Also, I have subscribed to Xbox live solely for Destiny. So, it is possible that they would also lose my Gold subscription.

Anyway, I'm just one guy, but you can see there how Destiny would be important to Microsoft. So, I'm sure that they will use it for negotiating.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 31 January 2022

I hate saying things like this but Nintendo, go get Platinum games and maybe Koei Tecmo.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Strange and expensive acquisition.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Compared to what they paid for Insomniac it seems like an overpay. It's probably a good purchase and interesting that they say right off the bat that the games will remain multi platform. Perhaps it will be for a few years just to recoup the 3.6 billion before going exclusive to Sony.  Anyone know how many units Destiny 2 sold?  Now we just need Nintendo to buy Sega,Microsoft buys rival Sony'sold mascots Crash/Spyro, Sony buys former Halo creator Bungie, and Nintendo buys former rival Sonic.

Bolded I'm triggered ! I can understand you were never ever a SEGA fan , and a comment like that if you lived in the 90's like me and many true blue SEGA fans we would have you crucified XD.

I prefer SEGA as a 3rd party but SEGA would make more sense under Nintendo's roof than MS. Sonic qould have better quality control. Nintendo is morelikley to have some classic SEGA IPs revised as they fit a Nintendo audience better. Atlus would do wonders not just making Persona but assisting other studios and then imagine a Atlus/Monolith collaberation. The one downside is Yakuza would be on lesser hardware. Again I hope sSEGA can stay 3rd party but if they have to go somewhere. Nintendo makes more sense.

SegaHeart said:
Leynos said:

I hate saying things like this but Nintendo, go get Platinum games and maybe Koei Tecmo.

Yeah Platinum is kinda a second party to Nintendo anyways :) they did Astral Chain (Nintendo only) and Astral Chain is not ported to PS5 nor Xbox. Nintendo + Platinum match made in heaven.

Astral Chain is already a wholy owned Nintendo IP so I would not worry about that either way.

MS keeps buying studios whose games I want to play and Sony is doing the opposite, weird. I'm not fanboying either, I have never been interested in Destiny.

It might be a tad bit overpriced but this is a great, strategic acquisition, that significantly bolsters Playstation Studios. The Destiny universe is also ripe for multimedia expansion in television and movies.

- Destiny is one of the most popular live service games today
- Over 800 developers
- Fills a massive FPS hole in the SIE portfolio

That's nearly 4B of the 18.3B+ used on Sony's game division. This acquisition confirms that Playstation is getting a massive chunk of that midrange investment (13B - 15B+). Also, the statement that SIE was "adding over $183 Million on development personnel year over year," has finally come to fruition lol.

Couldn't multiplatform also mean PS5 + PC? I can see most of Sony's multiplayer titles going down that route tbh.