By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Giving up hope on Metroid Prime 4 coming to the Switch

Prime 4 will:

come to the Switch 42 73.68%

not come to the Switch 15 26.32%

Total:57
TheTitaniumNub said:

I mean, after how terrible Pokemon Legends looks.... I just want Prime 4 to release on the next Switch..

I'm on this side. I don't mind waiting another year, even two years, if that means some significant upgrade on graphics and performance 

But honestly, I doubt it. It will be released on Switch and then ported to Switch 2 with minor graphical upgrades 

Around the Network
TheTitaniumNub said:

I mean, after how terrible Pokemon Legends looks.... I just want Prime 4 to release on the next Switch..

Prime 4 is probably already longer in development than PLA was in total. Why would the graphics look anywhere near PLA's level?

Well once development was restarted that was reason enough to anticipate it potentially releasing on Switch 2.

It seems like they will release the same way as Zelda:BotW. You will play on Switch in his final moments and also on Switch 2 in 4k. It will be great if Nintendo is thinking this way!

It is starting to feel possible that they could have just moved it over to Switch 2 development and it'll be a launch game for that system in 2024 (spring or holiday), unless Nintendo has a bunch more big games planned for Switch after 2022 and they push Switch 2 out to 2025, in which case no way it waits until Switch 2. But I think it is reasonable to expect MP4 to release maybe Fall of 2023 as perhaps one of the last big first party games on the Switch before the next system comes out the following year. Metroid isn't an evergreen series so releasing it a handful of months or a year before a new system comes out wouldn't be a big deal because most of its sales are going to be in the first month or two.

I think most likely we will see MP4 on Switch but late in its lifecycle, in late 2023, 6 to 12+ months before Switch 2 launches, and therefore won't be a cross-gen title but it may be the last big game you buy on the Switch.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
TheTitaniumNub said:

Prime 4 is probably already longer in development than PLA was in total. Why would the graphics look anywhere near PLA's level?

Limited by Switch hardware, which itself is just a little better than Wii U, which itself was a little better than PS3. Switch 2 should be a big upgrade over Switch/Wii U level graphics as Nintendo does big jumps every two generations.

Would you rather have a PS3 looking Metroid Prime 4 on Switch, or a PS4/PS4 Pro looking Metroid Prime 4 on Switch 2? I'd rather the second option. Make it a launch title and it won't be that far away from an end of Switch 1 timed game but MUCH more impressive looking and playing.

I guarantee Nintendo has themselves been working on Switch 2 games already so they can be ready for Switch 2 launch window, why not MP4 as well from Retro?

mZuzek said:

Feel like it'll either be a Switch game or cross-gen, but honestly, you made me want it not to come. Would be way cooler if Prime 4 could take advantage of better hardware.

There is something to this. If it won't be ready until late 2023 on the Switch, it maybe makes more sense to just push it off another half year or year until the Switch 2 launches and make it a much more graphically advanced game. This is something they would probably have already needed to decide in order to build the graphical assets for next gen hardware, which could be why they are still hiring people for the team??

On the downside MP4 would get far lower sales on a brand new Switch 2 than it would get on a system with like 140m sales. Though as a Switch 2 launch title if there is only like one other major launch game on Switch it could make up for that a little bit by picking up a high ratio of sales to user base that first year, just as 2017 games on Switch that sold well would just be afterthoughts these days as there is so much more to play. Cross-gen could work though. But I still think it'll be a late 2023 game and so only be on the Switch.

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

Limited by Switch hardware, which itself is just a little better than Wii U, which itself was a little better than PS3. Switch 2 should be a big upgrade over Switch/Wii U level graphics as Nintendo does big jumps every two generations.

Would you rather have a PS3 looking Metroid Prime 4 on Switch, or a PS4/PS4 Pro looking Metroid Prime 4 on Switch 2? I'd rather the second option. Make it a launch title and it won't be that far away from an end of Switch 1 timed game but MUCH more impressive looking and playing.

I guarantee Nintendo has themselves been working on Switch 2 games already so they can be ready for Switch 2 launch window, why not MP4 as well from Retro?

Bold 1: The Switch is like 5 times as powerful as the PS3. Plenty of games look fantastic on the Switch. There's no reason for hyperbole like that. Pokémon Legends Arceus is not a benchmark title. Metriod Prime 4 will look way better in every way even if it releases next year on the Switch alone.

I don't care about graphics. Artstyle is more important.

Bold 2: You can not guarantee anything.

Kakadu18 said:
Dulfite said:

Bold 1: The Switch is like 5 times as powerful as the PS3. Plenty of games look fantastic on the Switch. There's no reason for hyperbole like that. Pokémon Legends Arceus is not a benchmark title. Metriod Prime 4 will look way better in every way even if it releases next year on the Switch alone.

I don't care about graphics. Artstyle is more important.

Bold 2: You can not guarantee anything.

You show me screenshots between AAA games on both devices that show 5 times more power. And don't cherry pick some pathetic studio vs. some amazing studio. Until then, I'm sticking with my stance. I remember what PS3 games looked like, what Wii U games looked like, and what Switch games look like. There is virtually no graphical difference to the normal consumer.

I agree, art style is more important. But art styles can really be enhanced by more power.

It would be lunacy to think Nintendo doesn't have games in development for Switch 2. At most it is coming out in 2025, which is only 3-4 years away depending on release month. AAA games need 3-5 years to make. This is a certainty that they have games being made for it.

At this point, it would be much better if it didn't come to Switch. Game would look much better.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.