By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Giving up hope on Metroid Prime 4 coming to the Switch

Prime 4 will:

come to the Switch 42 73.68%

not come to the Switch 15 26.32%

Total:57
RolStoppable said:
freebs2 said:

As a fan of the series, I waited the game long enough, so I'm sure I would be more than happy with what Retro could be capable to pull off with the current Switch.

The problem is Nintendo can't only cater to current fans to justify the investment, they need to expand the audience. And, unless they plan to pull off some sort of Windwaker/BOTW art style change (which seems unlikely), I'm sorry to say but graphics has been one of the selling point of the series and in this sense it's quite an outlier for Nintendo games.

'Very good for Switch' is not good enough to inpress an average player after 8 years of PS4 and 1 year of PS5.

This post is one of those examples where someone tries to inject business sense to rationalize the conventional wisdom of internet gaming communities. But it's nothing more than an illogical mess.

For one, if the game is supposed to be a graphical powerhouse for next gen hardware, then it will be much harder to justify the investment than it would be on Switch. And two, if the audience needs to be expanded, then the series needs to be watered down to appeal to that kind of average player that is referenced in the post. That sort of thing rarely works, because the typical result is that the current fans will be lost while the supposed target audience doesn't bite either.

Aside from Metroid Prime 1 and 2, graphics have never been a selling point for Metroid games.

Metroid Dread did not have graphics to sell itself (2D games are written off as having lackluster graphics by default, that's just how it is nowadays), and that game sold just fine.

Well for describing my post as "illogical mess" I'd say your argument shows some fallacy as well.

The first sentence is factually wrong. If you want to create a great looking title on the current Switch with detailed enviroments and while aiming for 60fps (just like older titles) you'll need to spend time and money to squeeze any hardware resource avaliable on the system. With a new machine you could get a drastically better result even with much less effort for polishing finer details and optimizations.

Secondly, you're implying the series would need to be "watered down" to reach a wider audience and that's totally an invention of yours based on no actual arguments. Nintendo just successfully renovated the Zelda series for example. Is BOTW a watered down Zelda experience? Did they lost the original fanbase while not reaching anyone new? Doesn't seem like it to me. Also you refer to "that kind of average player"...what does that even mean? you don't specificy what kind are you referring to. Maybe you mean a kind of player that is influenced by the look of a game? Because every player is to a degree and even Nintendo itself acknowledge this...otherwise it wouldn't make much sense for them to put so much effort to make games like Zelda or 3D Mario look great.

Yes, graphics were a selling point of Metroid Prime as a series. Prime 1 and 2 are not even up to debate and Prime 3 proves the point even further, in fact it was supposed to be the best selling entry in the series as it got a greater marketing push from Nintendo and it was released on a console far more popular than the Gamecube. Yet it did sell cosiderably less than Prime 1. The difference is that, in 2002, if you looked for an immersive 1st person experience Metroid Prime was the state of the art, in 2007 Prime 3 couldn't be even put up for comparison with contempoary games like Bioshock (which btw was released within the same week).

Also the fact you aren't differenciating between Prime and 2D Metroid games doesn't make much sense either. Just like between 2D and 3D Mario or between top down and 3D Zelda, the expectations are completely different. Metroid Dread is a 2D side scrolling game, so it gets compared with other side scrolling 2D games. Metroid Prime is a first person game and (for a relevant part) a shooter, so it naturally gets compared with other first person shooters.

And btw Nintendo actually did put a lot of effort to make Dread look good while aiming for 60fps, much more effort compared to what they do for other series with broader appeal like Fire Emblem (for example) and let's not even talk about Pokemon. So I guess they do think good graphics is one of the selling point of Metroid.

Around the Network

Where’s the third option: “come to the switch and switch 2”?

jonathanalis said:

I think it will be like BotW on wii U. Simultaneous release in both switch and its sucessor. 2024

So you think Switch 2 will basically be Switch 1 in graphics? Switch version of Botw and Wii U version basically look the same to me. As do the other Wii U Ports on Switch.

I hope Switch 2 is much more powerful, making a Switch 1 port impossible. I don't want three generations of virtually the same graphical level.

Keeping MP4 for the next hardware doesn’t make any sense from a business POV and for the franchise itself. The strength of the IP is not in its selling power, but in its quality and design. The Metroid series as much more to gain from the Switch success, than skipping it for the next hardware launch.

It’s not a case like BotW on WiiU/Switch, whatever we think of if, it doesn’t have the selling power to move much hardware.

With the sales MK8D, it makes more sense to keep MK9 for the next gen and let MP4 be the last Hurrah for the Switch.

It will def come to the Switch, but it will probably be a simultaneous release on it and the new successor. It is a good thing tho, i was scared the game was going to run badly on Switch. Imo this game really needs a stronger system to shine.

Around the Network

Guys... I could see a simultanious release on both the Switch and its successor. But Switch 2 exclusive? C'mon, that's like saying Nintendo hates making money! xD

Vodacixi said:

Guys... I could see a simultanious release on both the Switch and its successor. But Switch 2 exclusive? C'mon, that's like saying Nintendo hates making money! xD

People have had this opinion numerous times in this thread, but are not acknowledging that Switch 2 will be far more powerful than the Switch. If you want a game that is portable to Switch, then that means you are making a Switch game that has a Switch 2 port, not vice versa. 

Switch is not really graphically superior to Wii U. Look at any of the Wii U Ports to Switch and most people can't tell a difference. The Switch 2 will be significantly more powerful based on their historical two generations jumps:

N64 - GameCube, huge jump.

GameCube - Wii, tiny jump.

Wii - Wii U, massive jump.

Wii U - Switch, tiny jump.

I'm not talking about framerate, draw distance, or other specs that have nothing to do with graphics. I'm just talking graphics. GameCube games graphics blow the water out of N64, Wii games basically looked like GameCube games, Wii U games blew the water out of Wii games, and Switch games basically look the same as Wii U.

They are due for a huge upgrade and I don't want Switch 2 games to not take advantage of the new system.

I think it'll end up being cross gen, from a business point of view and due to the Metroid series not being exactly the strongest seller, it's more convenient for them if they don't skip the original Switch. The only way I can see it coming out on the successor only is if the development takes that long that the OG Switch's software sales are completely dead in the water.

Spoiler!
Unless the game is further in development than we think and they'll pull a surprise re-reveal this year or next year, and the game ends up coming out next year on Switch 1.
Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 31 January 2022

Dulfite said:
Vodacixi said:

People have had this opinion numerous times in this thread, but are not acknowledging that Switch 2 will be far more powerful than the Switch. If you want a game that is portable to Switch, then that means you are making a Switch game that has a Switch 2 port, not vice versa. 

Switch is not really graphically superior to Wii U. Look at any of the Wii U Ports to Switch and most people can't tell a difference. The Switch 2 will be significantly more powerful based on their historical two generations jumps:

I'm not talking about framerate, draw distance, or other specs that have nothing to do with graphics. I'm just talking graphics. GameCube games graphics blow the water out of N64, Wii games basically looked like GameCube games, Wii U games blew the water out of Wii games, and Switch games basically look the same as Wii U.

They are due for a huge upgrade and I don't want Switch 2 games to not take advantage of the new system.

I... don't care about what you want. I'm just saying that Metroid Prime 4 is a very expensive title to make that belongs to a franchise that has never crossed the 3.5 million mark. Releasing MP4 just on the Switch 2 is beyond stupid, because not only will not help at all to sell the new Switch (with cutting edge graphics or without them it's still Metroid and Metroid has never moved systems), but it will also hurt itself by not being available in a console with an installed base of 120 million (maybe more by the time it releases).

Dulfite said:
Vodacixi said:

I don't think the size in powerjump to Switch 2 is really relevant here. Even PS4 and PS5 have cross-gen games.

To make matters worse. Metroid is not a big series. It needs the install base of the Switch. Metroid is not a system seller, it will not pull Switch 2 like BOTW pulled Switch. And even BOTW was cross-gen.

So sure, if Nintendo wants to send out Metroid Prime 4 to die, they release it exclusively for Switch 2. If they have common sense though it will be cross-gen or even Switch only.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]