By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony acquire another less expensive developer? Since Square is really in good terms with Sony?

Mandalore76 said:

Weren't the Arc The Lad games developed by G-Craft, who is now a member of SquareEnix's development division?  And weren't the Dark Cloud games developed by Level 5?  Pretty sure Sony only published those games, but don't hold any IP ownership over them.

Pretty sure Arc the Lad and Dark Cloud are still owned by Sony.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Mandalore76 said:

Weren't the Arc The Lad games developed by G-Craft, who is now a member of SquareEnix's development division?  And weren't the Dark Cloud games developed by Level 5?  Pretty sure Sony only published those games, but don't hold any IP ownership over them.

Pretty sure Arc the Lad and Dark Cloud are still owned by Sony.

They most definitely do 

Game companies nowadays are empty carcasses with replaceable drones of artist, developers and management. There are no tangible assets except for older IPs. Just put your money into developing new games within your existing framework. $25 billion could fund ~100 AAA exclusive games considering that Cyberpunk is the most expensive game at $330 million.

I think the main problem here is that Sony is forced to consider acquisitions. Personally I think its not really necessary, as Sony has an incredibly strong first party lineup. However, if your main competitor is buying up the rest of the industry its going to force Sony to rely completely on their first party lineup. I think Sony is about 5-10 years away from being in a position similar to Nintendo (maybe less). MS is making those moves now and should have consequences in the next 2-3 years if not sooner.

Its forcing Sony's hand. They need to start thinking of themselves as a competing content service provider in the same vein as Microsoft. If Microsoft plans to be the Netflix of gaming Sony needs to be prepared. The only way to prepare for this in the short term is medium to large acquisitions that guarantees a certain fanbase or audience to seriously consider their service. Provided Sony can actually afford it I would say a western dev is needed such as EPIC, EA or Take Two and additionally a established bigger Japanese dev like Capcom.

Reasoning here is that any of the bigger Japanese publishers have content that would bolster any subscription content service model similar to Gamepass.

With regards to EA, EPIC or Take Two - various reasons for either. EPIC has unreal engine and Fortnite. Take Two have major single player IP and now a massive mobile footprint. EA is EA.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

The obvious solution?

Gamepass on Playstation.

What's the point of owning an Xbox then. An extra 1.something tflop?

It's literally staring me in the face, it's that obvious.

Around the Network

I want Sony to Acquire Capcom , Konami , Keoi Tecmo , Square Enix , Namco Bandai in their catelog.
but want Xbox Nintendo and Sony to leave Sega Alone .
I always wanted Sony to Swallow up Capcom and Square and Konami IDK why it just feels right.
But noone swallows Sega one day Sega will comeback Hopefully. As the bosses.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

ironmanDX said:

The obvious solution?

Gamepass on Playstation.

So then MS can stop making hardware, while continuing to consolidate the software market into GP?

Leave SNY with only it's first party and potentially few hold out partnerships, while having to produce the hardware?

I'm pretty sure SNY ain't that dumb.

Well the biggest talking point about this acquisition overall seems to be COD and whether or not it'll end up exclusive.

Whether it does or not, if you're EA and Dice right now, with the Battlefield franchise, you'd best be looking to PS for a partnership going forward. If you're PS, you'd best be taking advantage of that, or more.

Now assuming there wouldn't be a buyout or merger between EA and SNY, who knows, is there any chance PS could simply acquire Dice and Battlefield? Would EA let them go?

The Battlefield franchise has not been stellar over the last few games, especially the most recent, so now could be a good time for a business deal. PS could really use something to counter COD, and if they had Dice in house, they could probably help stabilize and grow Battlefield to much better compete with COD.

This way SNY doesn't necessarily need all of EA at $40 billion+, though it's not like that would hurt.

(Owning EA though, would allow SNY to potentially force MS to keep more franchises coming to the PS platform, otherwise everything becomes exclusive.)

EricHiggin said:
ironmanDX said:

The obvious solution?

Gamepass on Playstation.

So then MS can stop making hardware, while continuing to consolidate the software market into GP?

Leave SNY with only it's first party and potentially few hold out partnerships, while having to produce the hardware?

That's as bad a take as the Sony should sell thread. 

Such little faith in Sony 1st party games. 

You don't think Sony would get a cut of all those subs? All those micro transactions? While also selling their games on top. 

They'd almost consolidate the... For the lack of a better word... "hardcore" console gamers on their system. 

Who could oppose them after that? No one. 

ironmanDX said:
EricHiggin said:

That's as bad a take as the Sony should sell thread. 

Such little faith in Sony 1st party games. 

You don't think Sony would get a cut of all those subs? All those micro transactions? While also selling their games on top. 

They'd almost consolidate the... For the lack of a better word... "hardcore" console gamers on their system. 

Who could oppose them after that? No one. 

Only if SNY was totally backed into a corner, which they certainly aren't yet.

The problem is profits, and XB wins that game big time if GP ends up on PS consoles.

If that wasn't the case, SNY would've allowed it already. Like cross play.