By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony acquire another less expensive developer? Since Square is really in good terms with Sony?

Is CD Projectk that bad of a buy? I have never seen them being brought up as possible buy for Sony, not even during the Bethesda sell.

Around the Network
JCGamer55 said:

Is CD Projectk that bad of a buy? I have never seen them being brought up as possible buy for Sony, not even during the Bethesda sell.

I don't think they would enjoy being a Sony studio to be honest. I think Sony should try to buy Warner Bros studio's, especially since AT&T will have to sell parts of their company sooner or later due to their crippling debt. Also Sony could just open new studios. They could also try to buy the embracer group and invest heavy into letting grow their studios.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

JCGamer55 said:

It would be great for Sony's portfolio but their output might not warrant the asking price. Theoretically, Sony could buy Capcom for around the same price as CDPR, and it would be a much better deal in terms of development teams and IP.

Qwark said:

I don't think they would enjoy being a Sony studio to be honest. I think Sony should try to buy Warner Bros studio's, especially since AT&T will have to sell parts of their company sooner or later due to their crippling debt. Also Sony could just open new studios. They could also try to buy the embracer group and invest heavy into letting grow their studios.

Warner Brothers is now part of Discovery. However, I do wonder if Sony would ever go for Warner Brothers Discovery, it would be more expensive than Take Two & ViacomCBS, but it would significantly strengthen Sony Pictures + Playstation. It does make a lot of sense for them overall. 

BasilZero said:
SegaHeart said:

I think I second konami though IDK what they do with Pachinko division? but I guess Konami should cost less and Metal Gear solid series sells a ton , more than the other japanese companies games except capcom's Monster Hunter or Square Enix games . Would be great to have Kojima work on Metal Gear again.

There's nothing wrong with continuing the Pachinko side, pretty sure Konami still makes decent amount for them to have support it for years.

The real wealth comes from the IPs that Konami really hasnt been working on other than porting over older titles in collections.

-Metal Gear
-Castlevania
-Silent Hill
-Suikoden
-Bloody Roar
-Frogger
-PES
-Zone of the Enders
-Yu-Gi-Oh
-Bomberman
-Gradius
-Lost in Blue
-Beatmania

None of these IPs are getting much attention to in the first place - so some attention from Sony could help.

They could also establish Konami as the Japanese front for game development from the region since Sony barely has a Japanese front nowadays with their focus on western games.

It could help games that were originally Japanese from Sony's side like the Ico/SotC/Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad and Dark Cloud series.

Providing they dont get axed to the side like what happened to the group that made Ico/SotC and Last Guardian

Weren't the Arc The Lad games developed by G-Craft, who is now a member of SquareEnix's development division?  And weren't the Dark Cloud games developed by Level 5?  Pretty sure Sony only published those games, but don't hold any IP ownership over them.

Around the Network
JCGamer55 said:

They'd essentially be buying for Witcher 4 alone, they'd be better off just signing a timed exclusivity deal. 

I still don’t think the general gaming public is aware of just how long term devastating this development is for the PlayStation brand, to the extent that I think it will directly harm PlayStation’s ability to make a proportional response. 3 things are going to happen if and when ABK properties become Xbox exclusive:

* Sony will lose their 30% cut of every ABK game sold on their system
* Sony will lose their 30% cut of every ABK micro transaction sold on their system
* millions of players will migrate to competing platforms, diminishing the install base leading to lower sales of Sony first party

All 3 of which are going to result in a moderate to significant revenue hit in the long term. The longer Sony waits to respond, the worse their position gets. They have to do something now, if they are going to do something, because each passing year after 2022 their buying power is going to be in decline.

Square-Enix and Capcom seem ripe for the picking.

I mean, it's Devil May Cry/Monster Hunter/Resident Evil/Street Fighter/Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/Tomb Raider for less than half of Take-Two post-Zynga acquisition...

None of the others seem really worth the money except for EA. BUT that would likely deplete Sony's war chest entirely and make them unable to counter any further move toward Japanese companies, for instance, unless it's a merger with SIE.

XDKrieg33 said:

I really don't think sony would make any move unless their hardware and software sales get affected, microsoft is aiming to be the netflix of videogames, the only reason of their adquisitions is in order to boost gamepass subscriptions not to sale more consoles, while sony's goal is just to sell more hardware and software.

We know that Spartacus is coming, while Sony isn't gungho like MS they won't want to be too far back to catch up, also by buying other IP's even though they don't have the need at the moment anyway, it would give them ammunition to help keep those newly owned MS Ip's on PSN at the moment Sony has no bargaining chips beside their 1st party to obtain those games and that ain't happening.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

These acquisitions take years of talks and negotiations. Unless Sony has actually been in talks with a publisher then it ain't happening anytime soon if ever. Also, I highly doubt Sony would acquire a big publisher. I think people heavily overestimate the amount of money Sony has in the bank.