By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony acquire another less expensive developer? Since Square is really in good terms with Sony?

XDKrieg33 said:

I really don't think sony would make any move unless their hardware and software sales get affected, microsoft is aiming to be the netflix of videogames, the only reason of their adquisitions is in order to boost gamepass subscriptions not to sale more consoles, while sony's goal is just to sell more hardware and software.

Losing Activision Blizzard will impact Playstation's bottom line and Sony knows that. There is a very real chance Microsoft retains market dominance in NA/UK having an exclusive Call of Duty game every year. 

It might be a tough pill to swallow for some, but if Sony doesn't make any big moves, they're going to end up as a third party publisher.

Around the Network

I don't like these acquisitions. Some of the games can be ruined. Call of duty has never been better since Back Ops.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

EricHiggin said:

MS crossed the line with this one. Heck, they leaped over it, Olympic record style.

MS isn't buying non Western devs/pubs for whatever reason, so it's kinda unlikely that SNY has to worry too much about losing those types of franchises to MS.

The way I'd solve this at SNY, is to buy Take Two. That alone is the only purchase they'd need, assuming MS doesn't later start acquiring big non Western devs/pubs.

Acti/Bliz had a 64B market cap, which is why MS paid somewhere between 64B-70B for them. You typically have to pay a bit of a premium over the market cap.

Take Two has a 17B market cap. SNY should be able to acquire them for $20B, but it would pretty much take everything they could throw at the deal to make it happen.

It would be worth it for GTA alone. The income, but more importantly, the mind share. GTA 6 (timed) exclusivity on PS5 would squash everything MS has done so far.

MS could go out and buy EA and UBI after this and it wouldn't change the market mind share. SNY would have it locked down for this gen.

SNY wouldn't even have to make it totally exclusive. Just timed exclusive to some degree, and a few free in game multiplayer perks for buying it on PS. Problem solved.

Imagine GTA 6, PSVR first person exclusivity.

Fun fantasy but would actually happen is Take 2 (or any big publisher) would immediately take any offer from Sony and go to Microsoft and see if MS will beat it. Which they would in Take 2's case. 

So that "only pay a little more than market cap" number becomes meaningless very quickly. If MS has spent this much money they might as well go the full distance and bury anyone's chances of competing against Game Pass. They're not screwing around any more. 

Soundwave said:
EricHiggin said:

MS crossed the line with this one. Heck, they leaped over it, Olympic record style.

MS isn't buying non Western devs/pubs for whatever reason, so it's kinda unlikely that SNY has to worry too much about losing those types of franchises to MS.

The way I'd solve this at SNY, is to buy Take Two. That alone is the only purchase they'd need, assuming MS doesn't later start acquiring big non Western devs/pubs.

Acti/Bliz had a 64B market cap, which is why MS paid somewhere between 64B-70B for them. You typically have to pay a bit of a premium over the market cap.

Take Two has a 17B market cap. SNY should be able to acquire them for $20B, but it would pretty much take everything they could throw at the deal to make it happen.

It would be worth it for GTA alone. The income, but more importantly, the mind share. GTA 6 (timed) exclusivity on PS5 would squash everything MS has done so far.

MS could go out and buy EA and UBI after this and it wouldn't change the market mind share. SNY would have it locked down for this gen.

SNY wouldn't even have to make it totally exclusive. Just timed exclusive to some degree, and a few free in game multiplayer perks for buying it on PS. Problem solved.

Imagine GTA 6, PSVR first person exclusivity.

Fun fantasy but would actually happen is Take 2 (or any big publisher) would immediately take any offer from Sony and go to Microsoft and see if MS will beat it. Which they would in Take 2's case. 

So that "only pay a little more than market cap" number becomes meaningless very quickly. If MS has spent this much money they might as well go the full distance and bury anyone's chances of competing against Game Pass. They're not screwing around any more. 

So MS spends $10ish billion on Zenimax, then jumps to $70ish billion on Acti/Bliz? TT can be had for around $20B. Why didn't MS buy them already?

Mind share goes both ways. It can be good, and it can be really bad, depending on the situation. Some moves will have negative consequences.

Which is why SNY needs to make this move sooner than later. That way if SNY doesn't acquire them, maybe someone other than MS will.

Even if MS were to outbid, SNY should make another big move asap that MS would wish to counter.

Force MS to gobble things up much too quickly, and watch MS become the new Activision, ironically.

EricHiggin said:
Soundwave said:

So MS spends $10ish billion on Zenimax, then jumps to $70ish billion on Acti/Bliz? TT can be had for around $20B. Why didn't MS buy them already?

Mind share goes both ways. It can be good, and it can be really bad, depending on the situation. Some moves will have negative consequences.

Which is why SNY needs to make this move sooner than later. That way if SNY doesn't acquire them, maybe someone other than MS will.

Even if MS were to outbid, SNY should make another big move asap that MS would wish to counter.

Force MS to gobble things up much too quickly, and watch MS become the new Activision, ironically.

I think Take 2 will be property of MS in about 2 years time. If Sony even tries to table an offer, Take 2 will do what any smart business would do and take that offer to MS and see if they can get more money. 

They moved on Acti-Blizzard now because likely they got them at a bit of a lower price due to some of their internal issues going on with leadership. 

Take 2 is probably next on their list. Like any business, if I'm Take 2 I'm not taking any offer from Sony until I give MS a chance to counter. It's no secret MS has way, way, way more money so why sell to the lower end buyer. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
EricHiggin said:

I think Take 2 will be property of MS in about 2 years time. If Sony even tries to table an offer, Take 2 will do what any smart business would do and take that offer to MS and see if they can get more money. 

They moved on Acti-Blizzard now because likely they got them at a bit of a lower price due to some of their internal issues going on with leadership. 

Take 2 is probably next on their list. Like any business, if I'm Take 2 I'm not taking any offer from Sony until I give MS a chance to counter. It's no secret MS has way, way, way more money so why sell to the lower end buyer. 

If TT ends up tied to MS, some type of merger/partnership or owned by, SNY might as well pack up and head back to Japan, while designing PS6 to be a hybrid. It would only get worse from there.

The sooner SNY makes a move, the more likely they'll be successful, or at least push TT to sell to someone else other than MS, which would be better than letting MS have them.

Also, how many of the devs themselves will stay put vs how many will go elsewhere or start a new studio? Will all these franchises remain the same, get better, or get filled with MTX under MS?

Typically when you've got some mega corp, you've already got issue's. When you've got one who's clearly determined to become a monopoly, you've likely got major issues. How many and what kind of devs would really enjoy what's likely to become of that?

I wonder how long before MS buys Bungie?..

Money can't buy everything, and it can sure ruin some great things.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 19 January 2022

EricHiggin said:
Soundwave said:

If TT ends up tied to MS, some type of merger/partnership or owned by, SNY might as well pack up and head back to Japan, while designing PS6 to be a hybrid. It would only get worse from there.

The sooner SNY makes a move, the more likely they'll be successful, or at least push TT to sell to someone else other than MS, which would be better than letting MS have them.

Also, how many of the devs themselves will stay put vs how many will go elsewhere or start a new studio? Will all these franchises remain the same, get better, or get filled with MTX under MS?

Typically when you've got some mega corp, you've already got issue's. When you've got one who's clearly determined to become a monopoly, you've likely got major issues. How many and what kind of devs would really enjoy what's likely to become of that?

Nintendo managed when Sony took away Squaresoft, Enix, and most of Capcom and Konami's support. I guess this is kind of a funny irony. 

Soundwave said:
EricHiggin said:

Nintendo managed when Sony took away Squaresoft, Enix, and most of Capcom and Konami's support. I guess this is kind of a funny irony. 

When is the last time you heard Nin Power? It's not the same Nin. The company that basically saved the gaming industry btw.

Gamers are now happy the same thing that happened to Nin may happen to SNY?

MS ain't SNY. Be careful what you wish for.

I hope Taco bell Buys Sony. Google buys Microsoft then Apple buys Google. Then Tencent can buy Apple and the NBA. We need more UMBRELLA corporations! Bring on the Zombie apocalypse!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Soundwave said:

They don't just bring the offer to another company, they literally open the door for any company. That way a bidding war can develop and the highest bidder gets the prize. Like how Take Two originally agreed to buy Codemasters, then during the 45 day cooling period EA stepped in and outbid them. 

They just made a $12.7 billion acquisition of their own. The reason they haven't been purchased? They're not looking to sell.