By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony acquire another less expensive developer? Since Square is really in good terms with Sony?

PotentHerbs said:
XDKrieg33 said:

I really don't think sony would make any move unless their hardware and software sales get affected, microsoft is aiming to be the netflix of videogames, the only reason of their adquisitions is in order to boost gamepass subscriptions not to sale more consoles, while sony's goal is just to sell more hardware and software.

Losing Activision Blizzard will impact Playstation's bottom line and Sony knows that. There is a very real chance Microsoft retains market dominance in NA/UK having an exclusive Call of Duty game every year. 

It might be a tough pill to swallow for some, but if Sony doesn't make any big moves, they're going to end up as a third party publisher.

Explain your rationale here.

Around the Network

Of course I'm against further consolidation but let's entertain the idea.

Japan companies

- Square Enix ($6 billion) doesn't make much sense imo, Sony already has thier full support and "snatching it" wouldn't hurt Xbox in the slightest (Final Fantasy is not what it used to be in the 90s). I mean it could be viable maybe but they would still spend a lot of money and gain very little advantage in return.

- Konami ($6.5 billion) seems like a bad investment regardless. It's true they have some very interesting IPs but who will actually develop the games? From what I've read they have basically dismantled their console gaming division. Acquiring Konami could make sense for a new entrant who is willing to invest in the business (say Google or Amazon), Sony already has their fair share of IPs to keep their production pipeline busy. The only scenario in which this could make sense is if Sony wants to invest heavily into PES/eFootball to have thier own annual IP for the european market...but even that could risk to ruin their relationship with EA, and they need their full support more than ever.

- Sega Sammy ($ 4.3 billion) again, what that would achieve? They're going to counter COD exclusivity with Sonic and Yakuza?

- Capcom ($6.1 billion) makes slightly more sense than Square-Enix imo because, in addition to having some popular IPs, they have dev teams capable of producing critically acclaimed titles that cater both to the eastern and western market. It would allow them to strengthen Sony's positioning as producers of high quality 1st party exclusive content. Yet, in terms of commercial impact it would match Bethesda's acquisition at best (although I have some doubts about it), let alone Activision...it would most likely hurt Nintendo (for Monster Hunter) more than Microsoft.

- Namco-Bandai ($ 15.6 blillion) none of their IPs is big enough to really make an impact and it is even more expensive and diversified than the other companies mentioned here. So a big no.

Western companies

- Ubisoft ($ 7.5 billion) they are a very diversified game company, with a very diversified IP portfolio and a lot of internal game studios. It could make sense if Sony wanted to focus on quantity to make their own version of game pass but perhaps only Assassin's Creed can compare to Activision's largest IPs. That said. since they are very diversified and structured to support basically any platform, a lot of internal restructuring would likely be needed for them to work effectively as a 1st party company. So it's not entirely bad but not ideal either.

- Take-Two ($ 17.6 billion) can seem like a good option, mainly due to GTA and RDR. The problem here is the fact it is we are talking about a huge investment for basically one large studio and two IPs. While it's true GTA could potentially tip the scales in Sony's favor it is a huge risk as well. Producing a new GTA is a colossal endeavor both financially and in terms of times allocation and, let's face it, there is no guarantee they can replicate the same success of GTAV.

- Electronic Arts ($ 37.9 billion) it's really a no brainer. It's the 3rd party publisher with the most similar positioning compared to Activision. It would be the perfect counter since they have the technology, lots of studios and IPs (both active and dormant). Additionaly they have Battleflied - the only military shooter that could counter COD - and FIFA - the perfect cash cow that would likely seal market dominance in the EU. It's definitely the publisher I would go after if I had infinite cash. Too bad Sony is not Microsoft.

- Epic games (estimated $ 29 billion in Apr 2021). Seems just slightly more doable than acquiring EA, strategically it could make sense since they have both Fortnite and Rocket League, they would control and get revenue streams from UE technology, with the Epic store they could even get a serious foothold in the PC market. Still it doesn't seem very doable financially and I don't think Tencent would let go their shares to a Japanese company.

So after considering everything, even if they really wanted to make big acquistions I don't think they are in the position to really counter MS at their game. Probably out of these options, if I had to choose, Capcom is the only one I would consider and maybe I would consider the possibility of buying From Software from Kadokawa. Not really to counter MS, but to strengthen Sony's position as an exclusive publisher.

JackHandy said:
Kakadu18 said:

I hope these aquiring sprees just end.

While it remains to be seen how this all shakes out, I'm not freaking out just yet because this is how the industry looked for most of my life. Not the acquisitions, per say. That's new. But for many years, each console was mostly segregated off from the others. During the PS1 and PS2 era, Sega and Nintendo and Microsoft got jack squat. But that was okay, because they had their own games that Playstation didn't have, and there was this wonderful dynamic between each system which made owning all three worthwhile. It also--in my opinion--made for a far more exciting industry. I mean, just look at the 16-bit era. Entire books and movies have been written about it.

So yeah, it's scary. And there's a chance this ends up being a really bad thing. But I think we'll be okay. If anything, it'll just light a fire under the other guy's behinds and we'll see a whole new slew of exciting IPs that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. 

Yep I remember these days as well. I'm not to worried regardless as I do have a powerful gaming PC and PS5 but after this gen I could see myself dropping consoles altogether seeing as how everyone is moving to PC. All my friends are still on console though so I'll most likely continue to buy whatever console they have.

freebs2 said:

Japan companies

- Square Enix ($6 billion) doesn't make much sense imo, Sony already has thier full support and "snatching it" wouldn't hurt Xbox in the slightest (Final Fantasy is not what it used to be in the 90s). I mean it could be viable maybe but they would still spend a lot of money and gain very little advantage in return.

- Konami ($6.5 billion) seems like a bad investment regardless. It's true they have some very interesting IPs but who will actually develop the games? From what I've read they have basically dismantled their console gaming division. Acquiring Konami could make sense for a new entrant who is willing to invest in the business (say Google or Amazon), Sony already has their fair share of IPs to keep their production pipeline busy. The only scenario in which this could make sense is if Sony wants to invest heavily into PES/eFootball to have thier own annual IP for the european market...but even that could risk to ruin their relationship with EA, and they need their full support more than ever.

- Sega Sammy ($ 4.3 billion) again, what that would achieve? They're going to counter COD exclusivity with Sonic and Yakuza?

- Capcom ($6.1 billion) makes slightly more sense than Square-Enix imo because, in addition to having some popular IPs, they have dev teams capable of producing critically acclaimed titles that cater both to the eastern and western market. It would allow them to strengthen Sony's positioning as producers of high quality 1st party exclusive content. Yet, in terms of commercial impact it would match Bethesda's acquisition at best (although I have some doubts about it), let alone Activision...it would most likely hurt Nintendo (for Monster Hunter) more than Microsoft.

- Namco-Bandai ($ 15.6 blillion) none of their IPs is big enough to really make an impact and it is even more expensive and diversified than the other companies mentioned here. So a big no.

Western companies

- Ubisoft ($ 7.5 billion) they are a very diversified game company, with a very diversified IP portfolio and a lot of internal game studios. It could make sense if Sony wanted to focus on quantity to make their own version of game pass but perhaps only Assassin's Creed can compare to Activision's largest IPs. That said. since they are very diversified and structured to support basically any platform, a lot of internal restructuring would likely be needed for them to work effectively as a 1st party company. So it's not entirely bad but not ideal either.

- Take-Two ($ 17.6 billion) can seem like a good option, mainly due to GTA and RDR. The problem here is the fact it is we are talking about a huge investment for basically one large studio and two IPs. While it's true GTA could potentially tip the scales in Sony's favor it is a huge risk as well. Producing a new GTA is a colossal endeavor both financially and in terms of times allocation and, let's face it, there is no guarantee they can replicate the same success of GTAV.

- Electronic Arts ($ 37.9 billion) it's really a no brainer. It's the 3rd party publisher with the most similar positioning compared to Activision. It would be the perfect counter since they have the technology, lots of studios and IPs (both active and dormant). Additionaly they have Battleflied - the only military shooter that could counter COD - and FIFA - the perfect cash cow that would likely seal market dominance in the EU. It's definitely the publisher I would go after if I had infinite cash. Too bad Sony is not Microsoft.

- Epic games (estimated $ 29 billion in Apr 2021). Seems just slightly more doable than acquiring EA, strategically it could make sense since they have both Fortnite and Rocket League, they would control and get revenue streams from UE technology, with the Epic store they could even get a serious foothold in the PC market. Still it doesn't seem very doable financially and I don't think Tencent would let go their shares to a Japanese company.

So after considering everything, even if they really wanted to make big acquistions I don't think they are in the position to really counter MS at their game. Probably out of these options, if I had to choose, Capcom is the only one I would consider and maybe I would consider the possibility of buying From Software from Kadokawa. Not really to counter MS, but to strengthen Sony's position as an exclusive publisher.

You forgot Koei-Tecmo.

SegaHeart said:

Square Enix Doesn't mind doing alot of Exclusive games for PS5 , like Forspoken/Final Fantasy 7 Remake and upcoming Final Fantasy 16. I think Square Enix isn't interested in making exclusive games for Microsoft , I think Square won't be in danger they in the right relationship with Sony now, The only other Publisher not bigger than Square is Capcom ? with blockbuster teams still pumping great games.

Edit : no-one should mention Sega (looking at platforms like youtube or other forums) I can't handle it and  current Sonic 8th and 9th gen Sega makes peanuts sales on all fronts , that's why Sega was forced to make Exclusive Xbox Sega Super game , none of our shit not even Sonic currently can match Street Fighter 5 , Sonic doesn't sell gangbusters like Metal Gear , Yakuza doesn't make huge sales neither , Persona series (specifically Persona 5 sold 1.8 million that's a baby step compared to Metal Gear Solid or anything capcom like Street Fighter 5 , Persona don't sell gangbusters , so I'm asking other parts of internet to stop specially youtube 

From a Sega Saturn Fan.

Its not about sales always for exlusives.

Sometimes its about uniquness, and experiances that arnt like other things, or hard to come by, esp if they have a rabbid fan following.

In that sense, Yakuza and Persona, imo, are a much better buy, than Konami.
Konami is without talent atm, so buying them would be for the IP, and then fireing people, and hireing new people (you trust more), to work on old big IPs they own.

On the other hand, you get Sega (and with them Atlus), things will just carry on as is (without risk of MS snatching it).
I feel like the loss of Yakuza, and Persona would be a big one, from PS.

Get Sega, make all the Nintendo Persona/SMT games (offer nintendo the switch of both), get ports for Playstation,

and all the Persona ones, port to Switch.
Everyone wins.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 January 2022

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

Japan companies

Square has so many great IP, and make fantastic RPGs.

FF14, is still the best MMO on the market to this day (~37m players/subs, and ~3,5-4m daily players).
FF15 sold over 10m copies, Also FF16 is right around the corner.
FF7 remake, is in parts....
That will continue to build up, as it get more releases.
Also once its all said and done, I'm sure they ll do a bundle with all the parts in 1 package. It's gonna end up big to (10m+ (for all parts likely)).

There are worse things to spend that much $ on, if your looking to buy someone big.

"Final Fantasy is not what it used to be in the 90s"

When was Square at their heights?
Back when ff7 was out?
FF7 only ended up selling like 13,5 ? million or so (2021).

Overall I think Final Fantasy is selling as much (or more) than it ever was.
Even if perphaps it feels like its impact isnt as large, as it once was.
From a sales perspective, I think even with inflation factored in, they are makeing more now, than ever (both in $ and sales).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 January 2022

Dallinor said:

Explain your rationale here.

Consolidation in the video game industry is happening. If Sony could lose a partner like Activision Blizzard, they can absolutely lose major partners like Ubisoft, Sega, EA, etc, over the course of the generation. It won't just be Microsoft looking at big publishers either, Tencent, Amazon, Google, the doors have been blasted open. Sony still heavily relies on third party content to fill out the year and the gaps between their heavy hitters. There is a very real possibility this will diminish and they will need to lean heavily on their first party. Will that be enough to sustain the Playstation platform? I don't know. 

But at this point in time, Sony are far behind Microsoft in terms of overall development teams, and at a major disadvantage with Call of Duty being an annual release. If all Sony does is grab smaller studios like Ember Labs, while Microsoft grabs another publisher like Ubisoft, they won't be able to stop Microsoft from disrupting them, and will be bleeding market share by losing tons of content while the competitors platform becomes a lot more attractive. 

All that said, Sony would've heard about this deal back in November, and I don't think they are taking it lightly behind closed doors. If the recent comments of the CEO are anything to go by, Sony will be shopping for IP, and there is one industry they can get it from, which also helps one of their most profitable businesses remain competitive. 

Kakadu18 said:

I hope these aquiring sprees just end.

From Sony's side its yet to really begin, so far they've acquired Developers that people either did not know of (firesprite), or were already 90% exclusive (Insomniac/Bluepointy).

OP: Sony should just continue doing as they've done recently. Studios that have so far worked with them like Emberlab and future studios like Haven if their games deliver. 

I think Sony would happily sell 10m less units this gen over spending 40 billion buying an EA or Ubisoft.

Otter said:

I think Sony would happily sell 10m less units this gen over spending 40 billion buying an EA or Ubisoft.

At this point it's mostly about securing them before MS buys them. Same might even go for Square, only than its Nintendo who dies the buying.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar