By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 first impressions...

So I have had my PS5 for over a month now, and I think it is time to give my first impressions.  First I will talk about the new UI...I like it, though I wish I could use themes like I could with the PS4.  It took SOME getting used to, but once I messed with it enough it felt very familiar.  Not much more I can say on that.  I do miss features like quick resume that is available on my xbox, but it is not a game breaker for it to be absent.  It was just something I never knew how much I liked on my Series X till I didn't have it.

Controller...overall I like it.  The rumble is nice and it feels like a good natural progression for the Dual Shock.  I do have two negatives...one being the horrible battery life.  Every other session it needs to be charged or hard wired as it drains so fast.  This is something the Switch Pro Controller and the Series X controller spoiled me with when it comes to long battery life, as the DS5 drains even faster than the DS4.  I would honestly prefer AAs at this point.

My other problem is with the consistency of the resistance triggers.  When it works, they work great and I like them a lot.  But if you press them too frequently, mostly noticed shooting a bow in Demon Souls, the resistance doesn't always kick in and it is a bit jarring as it goes back and forth.  Hopefully this can be fixed on the software side of things, as I do like the feature overall.

I won't go into the stability of the console itself too much, something that was reported to be questionable early on, as there isn't much to say.  I have no issues.  No system crashes (though Demon Soul's had a software crash twice for me) and rest mode works without issue as intended as well.  Nothing to report here other than the console does what it is supposed to, which is a good thing.

And now for the most important part...the games...so far I have played 4 games on my PS5.

The first one I will bring up is Genshin Impact.  I have already played this on both PS4 Pro and mobile after they enabled cross save progression.  I started on my Note 20 so it saw most of my playtime, even after I could use my PS4 Pro as I was more used to the controls.  Also while it looked better on the pro overall, the frame rate was less stable than my Note 20 and there was more pop in.  On the PS5 however...that was a game changer.  It now looks and runs great at 4k 60fps with almost no loading at all.  Mobile has become the secondary now because this game truly shines on PS5 outside of running on a good PC.  Needless to say, PS5 is now my primary platform for the game.  Having played this game since launch, in its current state for new players I give it an 8.5/10 overall.

Next I will talk about Astro's Playroom...this is a 10/10 experience for WHAT IT IS.  This is a free pack in game that is designed to introduce players to the PS5 and its features, while also throwing in nostalgia for returning fans (something I can def appreciate).  Had this game been a retail game, my score would not be the same.  It is a solid experience with some good 3D platforming, but it is a 2 hour game.  Having said that, once again, for what it is...it does its job perfectly.

Now I will talk about a game that was a rollercoaster for me...Spiderman Remastered.  All in all, it was a good game...one that I will never plat for reasons I will get into...but a very good game.  At first I was blown away by the visuals, combat, and web slinging.  During Act 1, I felt myself getting pulled in more and more.  However act 2 was a complete drag for me (had to even take a break from the game).  The problem is that it follows the typical Ubisoft formula for sandbox games.  Find all the towers, map gets icon littered, and you run to repetitive task after task just to clear the map up.  And yes...I had to clear every side objective because an unchecked icon bothers me...and Act 2 was when it was at its worst, and also where the main plot started to drag at the same time.  Act 3 however was absolutely FANTASTIC, and did not add too many side missions on top of what was in Act 2.  I loved Act 3 from start to finish, and it saved my impressions of the game for me.  Overall, I give it a solid 8/10.

And now Demon's Soul's...this is a 10/10 game for me.  I played it on PS3 back in the day, and this is just such a good remake.  In fact, I found it so good, I got the platinum for it.  It takes a lot to get me to go for plat or 100% a game, so the fact that I loved this game enough to do so speaks volumes.  It is challenging in creative ways, and like any souls game, trial and error is the key to victory as you learn the mechanics for each enemy type and land to explore.

So overall, I am very satisfied with the console.  My next game will either be Ratchet, Returnal, or Deathloop...I have not decided yet.  Ghost of Tsushima is on the back burner for now.  As much as I want to play this game, I have Horizon and Eldin Ring next month and I want to be sure NOT to burn myself out on open world games before then.  Looking forward to what the future holds!

Last edited by Shiken - 5 days ago

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Don't play Ghost of Tsushima if you already got burned out by the collectathon in Spiderman. GoT is 10x worse. I never completed the DLC (came with the ps5 version), ran away from the extra island, too too much.

Ratchet and Clank is amazing, no quick resume needed as it load extremely fast. I have yet to play Returnal and Demon's Souls, They're currently a casualty of gamepass since I'll play GP games first until that runs out. (Playing The Pedestrian atm, pretty game, bit repetitive)

It's odd your controllers run out of juice so fast. Mine last longer than the DS4 which I have permanently wired now... I bought 2 extra controllers, always one charging to be ready just in case.

As for features I miss, why can't I ffwd saved videos anymore. I like that you can now save shorter clips when saving a clip (instead of setting the length beforehand in settings), but you can't ffwd doh. Trimming a clip still takes very long as well. Bad implementation, all it needs is add a new header and ending, but it seems to decode and encode the entire clip to save. Anyway otherwise it's fine.



SvennoJ said:

Don't play Ghost of Tsushima if you already got burned out by the collectathon in Spiderman. GoT is 10x worse. I never completed the DLC (came with the ps5 version), ran away from the extra island, too too much.

Ratchet and Clank is amazing, no quick resume needed as it load extremely fast. I have yet to play Returnal and Demon's Souls, They're currently a casualty of gamepass since I'll play GP games first until that runs out. (Playing The Pedestrian atm, pretty game, bit repetitive)

It's odd your controllers run out of juice so fast. Mine last longer than the DS4 which I have permanently wired now... I bought 2 extra controllers, always one charging to be ready just in case.

As for features I miss, why can't I ffwd saved videos anymore. I like that you can now save shorter clips when saving a clip (instead of setting the length beforehand in settings), but you can't ffwd doh. Trimming a clip still takes very long as well. Bad implementation, all it needs is add a new header and ending, but it seems to decode and encode the entire clip to save. Anyway otherwise it's fine.

I will definitely be playing it eventually, as it was a very anticipated game for me on PS4 I just never got around to.  I just want to wait till after Eldin Ring and Horizon to do so.  A lot of my burnout I suspect is open world in general, having played Spiderman, Halo Infinite, SMTV (very open maps), and Ys IX (a lot of smaller side objectives to chase down) in close vicinity to one another.  Not all of these are open world entirely, but they do all share the chasing down of small side objectives that can be ignored (though I never do).  I just need a break from those types of games.  Plus I am always playing Genshin Impact, so I can never truly break free of it lol.

I will probably make a pact with myself to do the main game first this time  and only tackle side content afterwards or as needed till then when the time comes.

Last edited by Shiken - 5 days ago

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I've had my PS5 for almost a year (will be a year this March) and I can say I haven't played it nearly as much as my Series S. But the games I do play on it (R&C, Miles Morales, various PS4 ones) I find it to be quite enjoyable. I know what you mean about the controller. Its battery doesn't last anywhere as long as the DS4 (or even regular AA in my xb) and I've also experienced the trigger resistance lag here and there. Astro makes the perfect pack in to experience what the controller has to offer. I fully expect the same level of detail put into all other 1st party PS5 games from now on. I def should play it more often but I am rather picky about the games. The bulk of which I play on gamepass but Horizon, God of War and GT7 are going to be taking up my time this year so I have that to look forward to.



You can fix the battery life by turning off haptic feedback, the controller speaker and dimming the light on the controller.



Around the Network
Dimsum42 said:

You can fix the battery life by turning off haptic feedback, the controller speaker and dimming the light on the controller.

I already dimmed the light.  Turning off the other stuff just makes it another controller though, and would offer nothing the competition doesn't.  I will have another controller soon, so it won't be a big deal.  It still needed to be brought up though because it is a drawback.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

The games like u said have rly sold me on the PS5. So many great games already especially including all the PS4 exclusives I missed. Feel like people are giving it a bad rap recently but I have absolutely enjoyed my PS5 thus far. This generation looks like its gonna be great from all sides



TheWalrusCaesar said:

The games like u said have rly sold me on the PS5. So many great games already especially including all the PS4 exclusives I missed. Feel like people are giving it a bad rap recently but I have absolutely enjoyed my PS5 thus far. This generation looks like its gonna be great from all sides

I don't think it is getting a bad rap.  All three of the major players are doing well, so the more hostile of their fanbases are starting to come out.  It is something that sadly will never go away, and it exists in all fanbases.  Just got to learn to filter the good from the bad is all.

All I can say, is that having everything right now is a blessing and a curse.  So much good stuff without worrying about exclusives on all three consoles, but not near enough time to get to everything.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

I will definitely be playing it eventually, as it was a very anticipated game for me on PS4 I just never got around to.  I just want to wait till after Eldin Ring and Horizon to do so.  A lot of my burnout I suspect is open world in general, having played Spiderman, Halo Infinite, SMTV (very open maps), and Ys IX (a lot of smaller side objectives to chase down) in close vicinity to one another.  Not all of these are open world entirely, but they do all share the chasing down of small side objectives that can be ignored (though I never do).  I just need a break from those types of games.  Plus I am always playing Genshin Impact, so I can never truly break free of it lol.

I will probably make a pact with myself to do the main game first this time  and only tackle side content afterwards or as needed till then when the time comes.

I tried to ignore all the extra fluff, but never manage lol. I did manage to ignore the cosmetic unlocks in Halo Infinite. I don't play online anyway and there was already enough fluff. I also skipped the audio logs, yet all the other icons that pop up, can't resist :/
 
Same for me, break from open world until Elden Ring an HZD 2 launch. I haven't played Miles Morales yet and it will have to wait some more. I assume it's another collectathon. Ratchet and Clank however is well balanced with good rewards for tracking down the golden bolts and such. Great game.



SvennoJ said:
Shiken said:

I will definitely be playing it eventually, as it was a very anticipated game for me on PS4 I just never got around to.  I just want to wait till after Eldin Ring and Horizon to do so.  A lot of my burnout I suspect is open world in general, having played Spiderman, Halo Infinite, SMTV (very open maps), and Ys IX (a lot of smaller side objectives to chase down) in close vicinity to one another.  Not all of these are open world entirely, but they do all share the chasing down of small side objectives that can be ignored (though I never do).  I just need a break from those types of games.  Plus I am always playing Genshin Impact, so I can never truly break free of it lol.

I will probably make a pact with myself to do the main game first this time  and only tackle side content afterwards or as needed till then when the time comes.

I tried to ignore all the extra fluff, but never manage lol. I did manage to ignore the cosmetic unlocks in Halo Infinite. I don't play online anyway and there was already enough fluff. I also skipped the audio logs, yet all the other icons that pop up, can't resist :/
 
Same for me, break from open world until Elden Ring an HZD 2 launch. I haven't played Miles Morales yet and it will have to wait some more. I assume it's another collectathon. Ratchet and Clank however is well balanced with good rewards for tracking down the golden bolts and such. Great game.

Halo did not bother me as much, as the icon litter was not near as bad when it actually came to bases and side missions.  I did give a big hell to the no on the collectibles like audio logs, skins, or even the upgrade chests once I got the skills I wanted maxed or sufficient enough for my liking however.  Had I delved into that rabbit hole, I no doubt would have been feeling the same way I did with Spiderman.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261