By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Closes 2021 at the Top, PS5 Takes 2nd - Global Hardware Dec 26 to Jan 1

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through January 1

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to January 5)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to January 4)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to January 2)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to January 1)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 2,259,533 (-73.5%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – Up Year-on-Year 5,596,505 (+184.3%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 2,528,880 (-9.1%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 401,844 (-92.1%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 6,194,239 (-74.1%)
  • PlayStation 5 – Up Year-on-Year 8,729,420 (+198.8%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

3.65 millions units sold at the end of 2021 in Europe for the Xbox Series seem too high with all the data we have no?

a bit more than 1'000'000 in the UK
a bit more than 100'000 in Spain
300'000 in France

Around 2 millions in the rest in Europe doesn't seem realistic when we know that the UK is XBOX only strong maket in the continent.

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan

Oh wow it really did barely pass 50m. Seems it got adjusted down somewhat the past few days so now it feels kinda like a coin flip what side it'll end up on after the quarterly reports.

Kjartan said:

3.65 millions units sold at the end of 2021 in Europe for the Xbox Series seem too high with all the data we have no?

a bit more than 1'000'000 in the UK
a bit more than 100'000 in Spain
300'000 in France

Around 2 millions in the rest in Europe doesn't seem realistic when we know that the UK is XBOX only strong maket in the continent.

Germany is the second biggest market for Xbox in Europe after the UK and there are lot of markets in Europe. Even if each one isn't that big. They do add up. We also do know the Xbox Series X|S is the fastest-selling Xbox generation ever at the end of 2021. Plus, the French report says its sources are "industry insights," so might not be the most accurate.  

I'll go through our data and make the necessary adjustments as more numbers come in.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Norion said:

Oh wow it really did barely pass 50m. Seems it got adjusted down somewhat the past few days so now it feels kinda like a coin flip what side it'll end up on after the quarterly reports.

Yeah I made some adjustments in November and December in the UK based on the latest official data that was published on GamesIndustry earlier the week. Since we know how many total consoles were sold each month and the % increase of each console from November to December.

Around the Network

Yeah the Series X/S is down in the US and UK compared to the Xbone and MS confirmed it's still the best selling Xbox so it's probably doing better in other regions like Japan, South Africa, other European countries etc.

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

Yeah I made some adjustments in November and December in the UK based on the latest official data that was published on GamesIndustry earlier the week. Since we know how many total consoles were sold each month and the % increase of each console from November to December.

What were those adjustments?

Norion said:
trunkswd said:

What were those adjustments?

I don't remember exactly what they were. Just that the 3 main consoles were adjusted down.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 60

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. PS5: 17,509,478
  2. Switch: 16,316,380
  3. XSX|S: 11,669,441

Through the first 60 weeks available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.19 million units units and is 5.84 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.65 million units.

The PS5 has sold 17.51 million in 60 weeks worldwide, while the Switch sold 16.32 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 11.67 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 60 weeks, the PS5 is in the lead. The PS5 has a 38.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 35.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.6 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 6,122,408
  2. Switch: 5,830,069
  3. XSX|S: 5,546,566

Through the first 60 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.29 million units and is 0.58 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.28 million units.

The PS5 has sold 6.12 million in 60 weeks in the US, while the Switch sold 5.83 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.55 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 60 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The PS5 has a 35.0 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 33.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 31.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (59 weeks):

1. PS5: 6,966,521
  2. Switch: 4,176,877
  3. XSX|S: 3,562,725

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 59 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.79 million units and is 3.40 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.61 million units.

The PS5 has sold 6.97 million in 59 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 4.18 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 3.56 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 59 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 47.4 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 28.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 4,132,850
  2. PS5: 1,274,671
  3. XSX|S: 131,243

Through the first 60 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.86 million units and is 4.00 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.14 million units.

The Switch has sold 4.13 million units in 60 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.27 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.13 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 60 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 74.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 23.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.4 percent.

I know this would probably be an extraordinary amount of work and understand completely if this is not possible, but is there a reason VGChartz doesn’t do rough estimates of of console market share in some of the larger European markets (like the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Italy)? I’d be really interested in some of that data.