By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022 (Bloomberg)

Shiken said:
yo33331 said:

This is good. So PS4 might have a shot at Gameboy LT sales after all ..

Its possible as the sales are not far off, but I cannot imagine too many people who want a Playstation buying it over the PS5.  If someone wanted to go cheap for a next gen console in the meantime, they are more likely to just get a Series S and get a PS5 when they can get one so their first investment wouldn't be a waste (it is certainly cheap enough for people to jump on).

Speaking of Series S, that may very well be why Sony is doing this.  The SS is easier to produce, and hence why it is more available and selling so well.  The PS5 digital and Disc versions are pretty much the same, both more expensive than the Series S and hard to find.  This could be their solution to tap into the market of people looking to buy cheap till the PS5 becomes more available.  Their next big three games are cross gen afterall (Horizon, GoT, Gran Turismo).

A million PS4's worldwide in the year isn't much, you have general replacement sales combined with those that buy it for the library just like all those who were   doing the same 5 or 6 years after launch.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
darthv72 said:

Unless these are being made to sell for $99 or specifically for developing 3rd world countries... I don't really know who these would sell to. 117m units have pretty much sold as it is so whoever doesnt already have a PS4 can very easily find one on the 2nd hand market for much cheaper. I have 17 PS4 variants as it is and I bought them all 2nd hand from others who had upgraded to something else or just needed the $$.

MS stopped all production of the XBO at the end of 2020 to focus on Series production. Sony should do the same, focus all production on PS5 instead of wasting their time with keeping the 4 coming out of factories.

There is a portion of the market who avoid buying used even this late in the life cycle of a product so the million will sell to them. Since it's only gonna be a million the impact on PS5 production will be minor at worst.

Also I'm curious, why did you get 17 PS4's?

Norion said:

I love collecting the variants, special editions and themed systems. Same with controllers.

Shiken said:
leo-j said:

There is no other platform available for sale that can play the nexgen/big games . Ps4 is unavailable for purchase as is ps5 . While switch and Xbox are readily available. 

I have no problem finding PS4s at my local Walmart.  Switch, Series X, and PS5 are the only ones that cannot seem to be found in my area.

I haven't seen a new PS4 in retail in quite some time. I've been looking lately as my PS4 bit the dust and I don't like my odds of getting my hands on a PS5 at a retail price.

darthv72 said:
Norion said:

I love collecting the variants, special editions and themed systems. Same with controllers.

Good, sell me a working unit for $100 bucks.  Been looking at used and people are asking $300 to $400 used (with a couple controllers and a handful of games typically). I'm probably about to spend $350 on Pro, 2 controllers, and 11 games.  I'm just butt hurt because I bought the kids a PS4 2 Christmases ago new for $200.  They were wrecking my Darth Vader PS4 so I replaced it and put it in my office.

edit - If it weren't for losing my library (400 ish games) I'd think about a Series S  for now I'll just keep taking the PS4 from the living room into my office each night and get bitched at when I forget to return it the next day (GF uses it for streaming in the living room despite the TV doing Netflix, Vudu and Youtube and the Switch doing Hulu).  Call me stupid but she was about to pay scalper prices for a PS5 and i had to talk her out of it.

As for the topic at hand, it is good news but it will be too late to help me out.  Hopefully they don't sell well and i can buy another one new for $200 and stash it away (doubt it but here's to hoping).

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 13 January 2022

Around the Network

So they are following the same pattern with their previous home consoles, to produce them at least 10 years before putting off the plug.

darthv72 said:
Norion said:

While I'm not into that I can certainly see the appeal of having the variants displayed.