By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022 (Bloomberg)

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

So your point in summary is that for someone willing to get a new console Series S is more attractive than PS4 because it is likely to be supported for the whole gen 9 while PS4 is being discontinued? Ok, on that I may agree.

Yes that is my point.  The result of the Series S doing so well could be a combination of those looking to buy cheap, and it being the only gen 9 console readily in stock (making it an option for people to get in till the others are more available).

So making more PS4s due to PS5 shortages could be Sony's response to the sudden surge in Series S sales.  I am just stating that I do not know how effective this will be, since for around the same price it is basically a console that SHOULD remain relevant with future releases as gen 9 continues (Series S) or a console that will have very limited support sooner rather than later as we move out of 2022 (PS4).

What the PS4 would have going for it, is that it is getting Sony's next big 3 games (Horizon, GoW, GT).  However with Starfield around the corner and Stalker 2 not coming to gen 8 consoles, there are already signs of old consoles being phased out , making the Series S more appealing for that part of the market than the PS4, especially when you figure gamepass into the equation.

I don`t think sony making more PS4 will impact Series S sales... but it could help hold customers waiting for PS5.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

Yes that is my point.  The result of the Series S doing so well could be a combination of those looking to buy cheap, and it being the only gen 9 console readily in stock (making it an option for people to get in till the others are more available).

So making more PS4s due to PS5 shortages could be Sony's response to the sudden surge in Series S sales.  I am just stating that I do not know how effective this will be, since for around the same price it is basically a console that SHOULD remain relevant with future releases as gen 9 continues (Series S) or a console that will have very limited support sooner rather than later as we move out of 2022 (PS4).

What the PS4 would have going for it, is that it is getting Sony's next big 3 games (Horizon, GoW, GT).  However with Starfield around the corner and Stalker 2 not coming to gen 8 consoles, there are already signs of old consoles being phased out , making the Series S more appealing for that part of the market than the PS4, especially when you figure gamepass into the equation.

I don`t think sony making more PS4 will impact Series S sales... but it could help hold customers waiting for PS5.

Never said it would or even could affect Series S sales.  I feel however that people waiting for a PS5 would sooner buy a Series S to hold them over than a PS4 at this point, as that would make the most sense and keep their initial investment relevant.

So if this is a response due to not having a budget console on the market and seeing the Series S do very well this holiday due to the X/PS5 not being available, I question how effective it will be in that regard.

Last edited by Shiken - 5 days ago

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

Never said it would or even could affect Series S sales.  I feel however that people waiting for a PS5 would sooner buy a Series S to hold them over than a PS4 at this point, as that would make the most sense and keep their initial investment relevant.

Well, used PS4 Pro consoles without warranty are currently sold for more than new Xbox Series S consoles.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ps4+pro&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Not everything has to make sense.



Woah that just shows up much Sony has switched up their strategy/ability to sell a system for years after it is replaced. It used to be that Sony would get tons of sales for years after a successor came out, now the only reason they are even still producing the PS4 for more than a year after it was replaced is because of a chip shortage affecting the new console. They've gone from being the king of longevity to almost immediately discontinuing their old system.

I guess PS4 will end up just shy of the Gameboy, and Switch will pass the PS4 just before it gets discontinued.



Slownenberg said:

Woah that just shows up much Sony has switched up their strategy/ability to sell a system for years after it is replaced. It used to be that Sony would get tons of sales for years after a successor came out, now the only reason they are even still producing the PS4 for more than a year after it was replaced is because of a chip shortage affecting the new console. They've gone from being the king of longevity to almost immediately discontinuing their old system.

I guess PS4 will end up just shy of the Gameboy, and Switch will pass the PS4 just before it gets discontinued.

No wish to give big discounts and making more profits doing like this so they just made the decision =



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Unless these are being made to sell for $99 or specifically for developing 3rd world countries... I don't really know who these would sell to. 117m units have pretty much sold as it is so whoever doesnt already have a PS4 can very easily find one on the 2nd hand market for much cheaper. I have 17 PS4 variants as it is and I bought them all 2nd hand from others who had upgraded to something else or just needed the $$.

MS stopped all production of the XBO at the end of 2020 to focus on Series production. Sony should do the same, focus all production on PS5 instead of wasting their time with keeping the 4 coming out of factories.



Shiken said:
yo33331 said:

This is good. So PS4 might have a shot at Gameboy LT sales after all ..

Its possible as the sales are not far off, but I cannot imagine too many people who want a Playstation buying it over the PS5.  If someone wanted to go cheap for a next gen console in the meantime, they are more likely to just get a Series S and get a PS5 when they can get one so their first investment wouldn't be a waste (it is certainly cheap enough for people to jump on).

Speaking of Series S, that may very well be why Sony is doing this.  The SS is easier to produce, and hence why it is more available and selling so well.  The PS5 digital and Disc versions are pretty much the same, both more expensive than the Series S and hard to find.  This could be their solution to tap into the market of people looking to buy cheap till the PS5 becomes more available.  Their next big three games are cross gen afterall (Horizon, GoT, Gran Turismo).

 A million PS4's worldwide in the year isn't much, you have general replacement sales combined with those that buy it for the library just like all those who were   doing the same 5 or 6 years after launch.



Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

darthv72 said:

Unless these are being made to sell for $99 or specifically for developing 3rd world countries... I don't really know who these would sell to. 117m units have pretty much sold as it is so whoever doesnt already have a PS4 can very easily find one on the 2nd hand market for much cheaper. I have 17 PS4 variants as it is and I bought them all 2nd hand from others who had upgraded to something else or just needed the $$.

MS stopped all production of the XBO at the end of 2020 to focus on Series production. Sony should do the same, focus all production on PS5 instead of wasting their time with keeping the 4 coming out of factories.

There is a portion of the market who avoid buying used even this late in the life cycle of a product so the million will sell to them. Since it's only gonna be a million the impact on PS5 production will be minor at worst.

Also I'm curious, why did you get 17 PS4's?



Norion said:

Also I'm curious, why did you get 17 PS4's?

I love collecting the variants, special editions and themed systems. Same with controllers.



Shiken said:
leo-j said:

There is no other platform available for sale that can play the nexgen/big games . Ps4 is unavailable for purchase as is ps5 . While switch and Xbox are readily available. 

I have no problem finding PS4s at my local Walmart.  Switch, Series X, and PS5 are the only ones that cannot seem to be found in my area.

I haven't seen a new PS4 in retail in quite some time. I've been looking lately as my PS4 bit the dust and I don't like my odds of getting my hands on a PS5 at a retail price.