By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022 (Bloomberg)

I'm not sure if I really trust Bloomberg at this point with the Switch Pro rumors they let on about. They seem like they have half truths.

In this case, given the fact that the PS4 has sold about 2M in 2021, I'm sure that 1M is a good goal for 2022, but I don't believe Sony was planning on discontinuing the product and they are scrambling to make more of it to make up for the PS5 manufacturing issues.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The last week of this month is 5 days and post-Christmas, and the previous week was just 20k, so 116.82m to the 31st of December seems unlikely based on the data we currently have.

The system can only sell what is produced and shipped, and that's been a small number for some time now, and will remain small if this report is accurate. The charts we got also showed no significant holiday boost for it.

Furthermore, what is Sony's motivation to produce more after this year's million? It's been made clear many times that companies don't care about beating others in lifetime sales.

If they did, Sony would just produce 2 million in 2022 and put and end to it, and Nintendo would've produced another 1.2 million Wiis to beat the PS1. Sony doesn't care about outselling the Gameboy or not.

There will be adjustments.

Also there is no need for sony to have motivation specifically for gameboy to beat it. They just might produce some more hundreds of units or 2023 and PS4 just to beat the gameboy, without Sony going for it specially.

I am not saying it will. I am saying it is possible. Why are you so pessimistic ? I didn't believed it will beat it too before now, when I read this article.

I don't know about motivation but the fact is Sony is doing 1M more PS4s. And because of that the chance of making some units after this just gets bigger.

If sony truly wants to produce 1M for 2022, then there is some chance they will do some more hundreds of units more for 2023. Also in the article they say that the aren't done with PS4 production yet. Which means there is a good chance of continuing doing some hundreds of units for 2023. And even if they don't sell 700k in 2023, it may prolong to 2024 as well. It wouldn't be the first time where system is left on the market with selling 2-3-4k weekly or making 200-300 or 500k for a year.

And no it's not 5 days week, it's 7, and it will make around 20k, it's not much, but still, it will be 116.82M without the adjustments. With 2022, if PS4 sells 1M for real, the numbers will become 118M, not so far from the gameboy. Another 700k wouldn' be a problem.

Last edited by yo33331 - 6 days ago

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

The last week of this month is 5 days and post-Christmas, and the previous week was just 20k, so 116.82m to the 31st of December seems unlikely based on the data we currently have.

The system can only sell what is produced and shipped, and that's been a small number for some time now, and will remain small if this report is accurate. The charts we got also showed no significant holiday boost for it.

Furthermore, what is Sony's motivation to produce more after this year's million? It's been made clear many times that companies don't care about beating others in lifetime sales.

If they did, Sony would just produce 2 million in 2022 and put and end to it, and Nintendo would've produced another 1.2 million Wiis to beat the PS1. Sony doesn't care about outselling the Gameboy or not.

Also there is no need for sony to have motivation specifically for gameboy to beat it. They just might produce some more hundreds of units or 2023 and PS4 just to beat the gameboy, without Sony going for it specially.

I am not saying it will. I am saying it is possible. Why are you so pessimistic ? I didn't believed it will beat it too before now, when I read this article.

I don't know about motivation but the fact is Sony is doing 1M more PS4s. And because of that the chance of making some units after this just gets bigger.

If sony truly wants to produce 1M for 2022, then there is some chance they will do some more hundreds of units more for 2023. Also in the article they say that the aren't done with PS4 production yet. Which means there is a good chance of continuing doing some hundreds of units for 2023. And even if they don't sell 700k in 2023, it may prolong to 2024 as well. It wouldn't be the first time where system is left on the market with selling 2-3-4k weekly or making 200-300 or 500k for a year.

I' wasn't saying it can't outsell Gameboy, or even that it won't, just going over what would have to happen for it to do so, and some of the factors it would have to overcome. Your enthusiasm seemed to be jumping the gun a little bit. I guess only time will tell. 

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

As I already said, I am not saying it will. Just that the chances of doing it become a little bit more then they were the last months, where everyone, would though that the PS4 was going to be discontinued now and make no more than some 500k left of stock units this year

yo33331 said:

As I already said, I am not saying it will. Just that the chances of doing it become a little bit more then they were the last months, where everyone, would though that the PS4 was going to be discontinued now and make no more than some 500k left of stock units this year

I didn't see any posts predicting the immediate discontinuation of the PS4 or that it would only sell 500k more this year.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
yo33331 said:

I didn't see any posts predicting the immediate discontinuation of the PS4 or that it would only sell 500k more this year.

No concrete, but it was obvious, when there was a post for the system in the last months.. and it is normal of course the system did only 200k in the quarter before that .. and there were some posts go read when the announcement came for the 200k quarter .. With that 1M now confirmed, the chances just become a little bigger than before, but still, only time will tell.

Last edited by yo33331 - 6 days ago

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

No concrete, but it was obvious, when there was a post for the system in the last months.. and it is normal of course the system did only 200k in the quarter before that .. and there were some posts go read when the announcement came for the 200k quarter .. With that 1M now confirmed, the chances just become a little bigger than before, but still, only time will tell.

200k in a quarter and a million in a year is a similar pace. We hadn't heard anything about PS4 being discontinued, so this news, if accurate, suggests things will continue going much as they have been recently for the immediate future.

Last edited by curl-6 - 6 days ago

Kind of goes to show despite the 'console wars', Sony or Nintendo could just choose to keep selling their top selling consoles and inch out a few more sales, but most of the time they just cut the line.

curl-6 said:
yo33331 said:

I' wasn't saying it can't outsell Gameboy, or even that it won't, just going over what would have to happen for it to do so, and some of the factors it would have to overcome. Your enthusiasm seemed to be jumping the gun a little bit. I guess only time will tell. 

It's just bloomberg confirming that Sony aren't discontinuing the PS4 just yet and will continue to produce those product models that weren't cancelled when they moved their Japanese assembly lines over to help the PS5, and that PS4 production will be in line with the slowing demand so 50% of last year sales sounds about right.

Last edited by mjk45 - 6 days ago

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Always those no name "people close to Sony" rumors of both production ending in 2021, which didn`t happen, and that it will continue in 2022. Until Sony say they are going to discontinue by day X there is nothing to discuss. They haven`t ever stopped production before giving warning several months in advance from what I remember.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."