By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022 (Bloomberg)

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I didn't see any posts predicting the immediate discontinuation of the PS4 or that it would only sell 500k more this year.

No concrete, but it was obvious, when there was a post for the system in the last months.. and it is normal of course the system did only 200k in the quarter before that .. and there were some posts go read when the announcement came for the 200k quarter .. With that 1M now confirmed, the chances just become a little bigger than before, but still, only time will tell.

200k in a quarter and a million in a year is a similar pace. We hadn't heard anything about PS4 being discontinued, so this news, if accurate, suggests things will continue going much as they have been recently for the immediate future.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 January 2022

Around the Network

Kind of goes to show despite the 'console wars', Sony or Nintendo could just choose to keep selling their top selling consoles and inch out a few more sales, but most of the time they just cut the line.

curl-6 said:
yo33331 said:

There will be adjustments.

Also there is no need for sony to have motivation specifically for gameboy to beat it. They just might produce some more hundreds of units or 2023 and PS4 just to beat the gameboy, without Sony going for it specially.

I am not saying it will. I am saying it is possible. Why are you so pessimistic ? I didn't believed it will beat it too before now, when I read this article.

I don't know about motivation but the fact is Sony is doing 1M more PS4s. And because of that the chance of making some units after this just gets bigger.

If sony truly wants to produce 1M for 2022, then there is some chance they will do some more hundreds of units more for 2023. Also in the article they say that the aren't done with PS4 production yet. Which means there is a good chance of continuing doing some hundreds of units for 2023. And even if they don't sell 700k in 2023, it may prolong to 2024 as well. It wouldn't be the first time where system is left on the market with selling 2-3-4k weekly or making 200-300 or 500k for a year.

I' wasn't saying it can't outsell Gameboy, or even that it won't, just going over what would have to happen for it to do so, and some of the factors it would have to overcome. Your enthusiasm seemed to be jumping the gun a little bit. I guess only time will tell. 

It's just bloomberg confirming that Sony aren't discontinuing the PS4 just yet and will continue to produce those product models that weren't cancelled when they moved their Japanese assembly lines over to help the PS5, and that PS4 production will be in line with the slowing demand so 50% of last year sales sounds about right.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 12 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Always those no name "people close to Sony" rumors of both production ending in 2021, which didn`t happen, and that it will continue in 2022. Until Sony say they are going to discontinue by day X there is nothing to discuss. They haven`t ever stopped production before giving warning several months in advance from what I remember.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

yo33331 said:

This is good. So PS4 might have a shot at Gameboy LT sales after all ..

Its possible as the sales are not far off, but I cannot imagine too many people who want a Playstation buying it over the PS5.  If someone wanted to go cheap for a next gen console in the meantime, they are more likely to just get a Series S and get a PS5 when they can get one so their first investment wouldn't be a waste (it is certainly cheap enough for people to jump on).

Speaking of Series S, that may very well be why Sony is doing this.  The SS is easier to produce, and hence why it is more available and selling so well.  The PS5 digital and Disc versions are pretty much the same, both more expensive than the Series S and hard to find.  This could be their solution to tap into the market of people looking to buy cheap till the PS5 becomes more available.  Their next big three games are cross gen afterall (Horizon, GoT, Gran Turismo).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Would be sweet if Sony made and even slimmer PS4 model just to give it more attention. Seeing as how a lot of the new games are still making PS4 versions this makes sense to continue production.

Shiken said:
yo33331 said:

This is good. So PS4 might have a shot at Gameboy LT sales after all ..

Its possible as the sales are not far off, but I cannot imagine too many people who want a Playstation buying it over the PS5.  If someone wanted to go cheap for a next gen console in the meantime, they are more likely to just get a Series S and get a PS5 when they can get one so their first investment wouldn't be a waste (it is certainly cheap enough for people to jump on).

Speaking of Series S, that may very well be why Sony is doing this.  The SS is easier to produce, and hence why it is more available and selling so well.  The PS5 digital and Disc versions are pretty much the same, both more expensive than the Series S and hard to find.  This could be their solution to tap into the market of people looking to buy cheap till the PS5 becomes more available.  Their next big three games are cross gen afterall (Horizon, GoT, Gran Turismo).

It is more available because less people is picking it. If I'm not wrong 1/3 of the Xbox produced are Series S, and even like that they are on the shelfs available.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

It is more available because less people is picking it. If I'm not wrong 1/3 of the Xbox produced are Series S, and even like that they are on the shelfs available.

No more are being produced because it is easier to get that chipset.  This is why it outsold both the PS5 and XSX recently, but can still be found on store shelves.  Not saying it is more desirable, there are just literally more of them being made.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

If this is true, I think this is just about the end of the PS4. They might manufacture a few hundred thousand of them in 2023 and discontinue the console in the first half of that year.
Honestly, I expected it to be discontinued the first half of 2022.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

No more are being produced because it is easier to get that chipset.  This is why it outsold both the PS5 and XSX recently, but can still be found on store shelves.  Not saying it is more desirable, there are just literally more of them being made.

That can be true for the last couple months perhaps. But Series S been readily available in a lot of places for several months now, and during the same period we had like Japan numbers and some other places showing 1/3 of the Series shipped were series S.