By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022 (Bloomberg)

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

No more are being produced because it is easier to get that chipset.  This is why it outsold both the PS5 and XSX recently, but can still be found on store shelves.  Not saying it is more desirable, there are just literally more of them being made.

That can be true for the last couple months perhaps. But Series S been readily available in a lot of places for several months now, and during the same period we had like Japan numbers and some other places showing 1/3 of the Series shipped were series S.

As I live in the US, that is the country I am speaking for.  I cannot comment outside of that, as I like to go off of 1st hand experiences.  And the case here is that there are more Series S consoles in circulation than the PS5 and XSX, as both of them are sold out but the Series S is selling more despite being available on store shelves.  There can only be one explaination for that, and lack of appeal isn't it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

This is very unlike them. Tbh they did it to the ps3 but that’s also because it was literally dead after the PS4 came out, and it was a mess to make ps4 ports on it. This is different, ps4 could be doing ps2 legacy sales numbers but Sony is putting a cap on its sales , it has to be the chip market. I can still see them do 2-3 million a year if they were producing them.

mM
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

That can be true for the last couple months perhaps. But Series S been readily available in a lot of places for several months now, and during the same period we had like Japan numbers and some other places showing 1/3 of the Series shipped were series S.

As I live in the US, that is the country I am speaking for.  I cannot comment outside of that, as I like to go off of 1st hand experiences.  And the case here is that there are more Series S consoles in circulation than the PS5 and XSX, as both of them are sold out but the Series S is selling more despite being available on store shelves.  There can only be one explaination for that, and lack of appeal isn't it.

There is no other platform available for sale that can play the nexgen/big games . Ps4 is unavailable for purchase as is ps5 . While switch and Xbox are readily available. 

mM

I remember way back when people saying PS4 would have PS2 like legs. Was never in the cards, even without the shortage. It had a good run.

That's not a lot of PS4's but I'm on board for the crawl to 120+ Million lifetime lol.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 12 January 2022

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Shiken said:

There is no other platform available for sale that can play the nexgen/big games . Ps4 is unavailable for purchase as is ps5 . While switch and Xbox are readily available. 

I have no problem finding PS4s at my local Walmart.  Switch, Series X, and PS5 are the only ones that cannot seem to be found in my area.

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

If there is no PS5 or Series X available (we can see PS5 November and December numbers) then it would be hard for them to outsell Series S in the month that whatever is available is likely so sell.

I have seem the USA comments here, and Series S have been readily available for several months already and still wasn't able to make Xbox the best seller.

Actually lack of appeal is the only answer possible, because if it had so much appeal, with it being the only system available it would be selling out instead of being readily available for several months.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

If there is no PS5 or Series X available (we can see PS5 November and December numbers) then it would be hard for them to outsell Series S in the month that whatever is available is likely so sell.

I have seem the USA comments here, and Series S have been readily available for several months already and still wasn't able to make Xbox the best seller.

Actually lack of appeal is the only answer possible, because if it had so much appeal, with it being the only system available it would be selling out instead of being readily available for several months.

You are missing the point entirely.  With the Series S being easier to produce due to a more available chipset, they are more readily available and that is why it is selling more.  People are more willing to drop 300 bucks on a Series S for now, knowing they will still have it for MS exclusives later on than they would likely be to drop a similar amount for a PS4...a console that is going to lose support in a year or two at best.

Then when a PS5 or Series X is available they trade the S for an X or just buy a PS5 to go alongside the S they already have.

People over here i live were actually looking for the PS4 Pro consoles to get to play God of War Ragnarok because of scalped PS5 consoles while the electronic stores couldn't get more PS5 consoles, but the customers were fed up and went for the Xbox Series S. The Xbox Series S went out of stock just a week later then back available then sold out again then back available over and over again while Xbox Series X and PS5 remain unavailable to sell.

It reminds me of PS3 when the console used to be like $600 but got scalped anyway due to shortage and added up $400 more and then people were forced to buy PS2 slim consoles for around 4 years until PS3 becomes normal price plus the slim version.

This probably means it'll get discontinued in 2023. I thought it would be 2022 but squeezing some extra profit from the PS4 for the time being makes sense and I predicted 119m for it a while ago so this'll help it get closer to reaching that.