By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022 (Bloomberg)

yo33331 said:

This is good. So PS4 might have a shot at Gameboy LT sales after all ..

Its possible as the sales are not far off, but I cannot imagine too many people who want a Playstation buying it over the PS5.  If someone wanted to go cheap for a next gen console in the meantime, they are more likely to just get a Series S and get a PS5 when they can get one so their first investment wouldn't be a waste (it is certainly cheap enough for people to jump on).

Speaking of Series S, that may very well be why Sony is doing this.  The SS is easier to produce, and hence why it is more available and selling so well.  The PS5 digital and Disc versions are pretty much the same, both more expensive than the Series S and hard to find.  This could be their solution to tap into the market of people looking to buy cheap till the PS5 becomes more available.  Their next big three games are cross gen afterall (Horizon, GoT, Gran Turismo).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Would be sweet if Sony made and even slimmer PS4 model just to give it more attention. Seeing as how a lot of the new games are still making PS4 versions this makes sense to continue production.

Shiken said:
yo33331 said:

This is good. So PS4 might have a shot at Gameboy LT sales after all ..

Its possible as the sales are not far off, but I cannot imagine too many people who want a Playstation buying it over the PS5.  If someone wanted to go cheap for a next gen console in the meantime, they are more likely to just get a Series S and get a PS5 when they can get one so their first investment wouldn't be a waste (it is certainly cheap enough for people to jump on).

Speaking of Series S, that may very well be why Sony is doing this.  The SS is easier to produce, and hence why it is more available and selling so well.  The PS5 digital and Disc versions are pretty much the same, both more expensive than the Series S and hard to find.  This could be their solution to tap into the market of people looking to buy cheap till the PS5 becomes more available.  Their next big three games are cross gen afterall (Horizon, GoT, Gran Turismo).

It is more available because less people is picking it. If I'm not wrong 1/3 of the Xbox produced are Series S, and even like that they are on the shelfs available.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

It is more available because less people is picking it. If I'm not wrong 1/3 of the Xbox produced are Series S, and even like that they are on the shelfs available.

No more are being produced because it is easier to get that chipset.  This is why it outsold both the PS5 and XSX recently, but can still be found on store shelves.  Not saying it is more desirable, there are just literally more of them being made.

If this is true, I think this is just about the end of the PS4. They might manufacture a few hundred thousand of them in 2023 and discontinue the console in the first half of that year.
Honestly, I expected it to be discontinued the first half of 2022.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

No more are being produced because it is easier to get that chipset.  This is why it outsold both the PS5 and XSX recently, but can still be found on store shelves.  Not saying it is more desirable, there are just literally more of them being made.

That can be true for the last couple months perhaps. But Series S been readily available in a lot of places for several months now, and during the same period we had like Japan numbers and some other places showing 1/3 of the Series shipped were series S.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

That can be true for the last couple months perhaps. But Series S been readily available in a lot of places for several months now, and during the same period we had like Japan numbers and some other places showing 1/3 of the Series shipped were series S.

As I live in the US, that is the country I am speaking for.  I cannot comment outside of that, as I like to go off of 1st hand experiences.  And the case here is that there are more Series S consoles in circulation than the PS5 and XSX, as both of them are sold out but the Series S is selling more despite being available on store shelves.  There can only be one explaination for that, and lack of appeal isn't it.

This is very unlike them. Tbh they did it to the ps3 but that’s also because it was literally dead after the PS4 came out, and it was a mess to make ps4 ports on it. This is different, ps4 could be doing ps2 legacy sales numbers but Sony is putting a cap on its sales , it has to be the chip market. I can still see them do 2-3 million a year if they were producing them.

mM
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

As I live in the US, that is the country I am speaking for.  I cannot comment outside of that, as I like to go off of 1st hand experiences.  And the case here is that there are more Series S consoles in circulation than the PS5 and XSX, as both of them are sold out but the Series S is selling more despite being available on store shelves.  There can only be one explaination for that, and lack of appeal isn't it.

There is no other platform available for sale that can play the nexgen/big games . Ps4 is unavailable for purchase as is ps5 . While switch and Xbox are readily available. 

mM

I remember way back when people saying PS4 would have PS2 like legs. Was never in the cards, even without the shortage. It had a good run.