By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022 (Bloomberg)

Sony Tackles PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4 Consoles - Bloomberg

- According to sources, Sony had planned to discontinue PS4 at the end of 2021

- Due to PS5 shortages, they're now going to make about 1 million PS4s in 2022

With sales of Sony's 8th gen machine now at 116.79 million, that would bring it to about 117.81m by the end of this year.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 January 2022

Around the Network

Just goes to show how bad the chip shortage really is.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Gameboy sold 118.69 million, so Sony would need to produce about another 900k beyond this to pass it.

Bloomberg, LOL

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Gameboy sold 118.69 million, so Sony would need to produce about another 900k beyond this to pass it.

I bet there are some adjustments to be made just like the first quarter last year .. so I expect the numbers to be 117M till 31st december.

With 1M more in 2022 that would make 118M. Then there is a good chance Sony will produce 700k more.

What makes you suspect it will be adjusted up? The last time it was adjusted, it was adjusted down when Sony's quarterly figures showed it had been overtracked here.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

What makes you suspect it will be adjusted up? The last time it was adjusted, it was adjusted down when Sony's quarterly figures showed it had been overtracked here.

Yes, and the time before that it was adjusted up by around 400k.

Also with the last week of this month the PS4 should be 116.82M not 116.79

So adjustments of close to 200k are possible. And the quarter before this PS4 did 200k. There is decent chance the PS4 has made more than 200k since this was holiday quarter. So the chance is there. And with 1M more for this year PS4 is not too far from Gamecube, if sony make just another 700k after that it's done.

There’s a chance, only if they made more stock, bundles and offers which the last 2, they didn’t.

Is pretty much dead in Japan and even here in Australia, stock is very limited. 

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, and the time before that it was adjusted up by around 400k.

Also with the last week of this month the PS4 should be 116.82M not 116.79

So adjustments of close to 200k are possible. And the quarter before this PS4 did 200k. There is decent chance the PS4 has made more than 200k since this was holiday quarter. So the chance is there. And with 1M more for this year PS4 is not too far from Gamecube, if sony make just another 700k after that it's done.

The last week of this month is 5 days and post-Christmas, and the previous week was just 20k, so 116.82m to the 31st of December seems unlikely based on the data we currently have.

The system can only sell what is produced and shipped, and that's been a small number for some time now, and will remain small if this report is accurate. The charts we got also showed no significant holiday boost for it.

Furthermore, what is Sony's motivation to produce more after this year's million? It's been made clear many times that companies don't care about beating others in lifetime sales.

If they did, Sony would just produce 2 million in 2022 and put and end to it, and Nintendo would've produced another 1.2 million Wiis to beat the PS1. Sony doesn't care about outselling the Gameboy or not.

I'm not sure if I really trust Bloomberg at this point with the Switch Pro rumors they let on about. They seem like they have half truths.

In this case, given the fact that the PS4 has sold about 2M in 2021, I'm sure that 1M is a good goal for 2022, but I don't believe Sony was planning on discontinuing the product and they are scrambling to make more of it to make up for the PS5 manufacturing issues.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

The last week of this month is 5 days and post-Christmas, and the previous week was just 20k, so 116.82m to the 31st of December seems unlikely based on the data we currently have.

The system can only sell what is produced and shipped, and that's been a small number for some time now, and will remain small if this report is accurate. The charts we got also showed no significant holiday boost for it.

Furthermore, what is Sony's motivation to produce more after this year's million? It's been made clear many times that companies don't care about beating others in lifetime sales.

If they did, Sony would just produce 2 million in 2022 and put and end to it, and Nintendo would've produced another 1.2 million Wiis to beat the PS1. Sony doesn't care about outselling the Gameboy or not.

There will be adjustments.

Also there is no need for sony to have motivation specifically for gameboy to beat it. They just might produce some more hundreds of units or 2023 and PS4 just to beat the gameboy, without Sony going for it specially.

I am not saying it will. I am saying it is possible. Why are you so pessimistic ? I didn't believed it will beat it too before now, when I read this article.

I don't know about motivation but the fact is Sony is doing 1M more PS4s. And because of that the chance of making some units after this just gets bigger.

If sony truly wants to produce 1M for 2022, then there is some chance they will do some more hundreds of units more for 2023. Also in the article they say that the aren't done with PS4 production yet. Which means there is a good chance of continuing doing some hundreds of units for 2023. And even if they don't sell 700k in 2023, it may prolong to 2024 as well. It wouldn't be the first time where system is left on the market with selling 2-3-4k weekly or making 200-300 or 500k for a year.

I' wasn't saying it can't outsell Gameboy, or even that it won't, just going over what would have to happen for it to do so, and some of the factors it would have to overcome. Your enthusiasm seemed to be jumping the gun a little bit. I guess only time will tell. 

yo33331 said:

As I already said, I am not saying it will. Just that the chances of doing it become a little bit more then they were the last months, where everyone, would though that the PS4 was going to be discontinued now and make no more than some 500k left of stock units this year

I didn't see any posts predicting the immediate discontinuation of the PS4 or that it would only sell 500k more this year.