By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 101M, PS5 Tops 17M - Global Hardware Dec 19 to 25

CloudxTifa said:

Do you have any idea when the shortage will be over for PS5 and XS ?

Sony, Microsoft, and AMD I believe have all said they believe the earliest possible time frame for the shortages to end for consoles would be Q4 2022. One thing we know for sure is that AMD’s flagship products by that point will be on TSMC 5nm, which means any products still on TSMC 7nm or 6nm (all 9th gen consoles are currently on TSMC 7nm) will be able to allocate more capacity. 

Around the Network

Thank you both of you.

aTokenYeti said:
CloudxTifa said:

Do you have any idea when the shortage will be over for PS5 and XS ?

Sony, Microsoft, and AMD I believe have all said they believe the earliest possible time frame for the shortages to end for consoles would be Q4 2022. One thing we know for sure is that AMD’s flagship products by that point will be on TSMC 5nm, which means any products still on TSMC 7nm or 6nm (all 9th gen consoles are currently on TSMC 7nm) will be able to allocate more capacity. 

I believe I read that chip makers should start being able to catch up around mid 2022, but it wouldn't be until months later that they fully caught up to demand (late 2022 or 2023). If true, then production should start increasing in June, and continue to increase after.

Dulfite said:
aTokenYeti said:

I believe I read that chip makers should start being able to catch up around mid 2022, but it wouldn't be until months later that they fully caught up to demand (late 2022 or 2023). If true, then production should start increasing in June, and continue to increase after.

Thank you.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Not to undermine the Wii's achievement but it's also very noteworthy that while it took the Wii over 6 years to reach 100 million, Switch got there in well under 5.

It really puts Switch's performance into perspective that it's selling so much faster than even one of the highest selling consoles of all time.

curl-6 said:

Not to undermine the Wii's achievement but it's also very noteworthy that while it took the Wii over 6 years to reach 100 million, Switch got there in well under 5.

It really puts Switch's performance into perspective that it's selling so much faster than even one of the highest selling consoles of all time.

Demographics are important, not to be a downer. There were ~ 7 billion people in 2011 at the end of the Wii, whereas 2023 is projected to have ~ 8 billion. So, Switch got to the milestone of 100 million sold 17% faster, but will end up having 12.5% more people to sell to. And that's just the general numbers, take into account that as older generations die out, more % of the population will have played video games in their life, and the people born now will be a lot easier to get into gaming than old people in 2011 were, so it's only going to get easier and easier to crush previous records. Not until every generation, even 80 year olds, have played video games, will we get to a point where things balance out, and even then if the population continues to rise the consumer base will as well. Demographic advantages for sure.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

Demographics are important, not to be a downer. There were ~ 7 billion people in 2011 at the end of the Wii, whereas 2023 is projected to have ~ 8 billion. So, Switch got to the milestone of 100 million sold 17% faster, but will end up having 12.5% more people to sell to. And that's just the general numbers, take into account that as older generations die out, more % of the population will have played video games in their life, and the people born now will be a lot easier to get into gaming than old people in 2011 were, so it's only going to get easier and easier to crush previous records. Not until every generation, even 80 year olds, have played video games, will we get to a point where things balance out, and even then if the population continues to rise the consumer base will as well. Demographic advantages for sure.

Most of that population growth is in parts of the world where Nintendo doesn't have much reach though, like poor developing nations.

Not saying the Switch doesn't have an advantage, but I think most of the difference comes from it being able to tap into the portable market rather than demographic changes in the world's population.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 January 2022

curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:

Most of that population growth is in parts of the world where Nintendo doesn't have much reach though, like poor developing nations.

Not saying the Switch doesn't have an advantage, but I think most of the difference comes from it being able to tap into the portable market rather than demographic changes in the world's population.

The general growth was only a portion of what I said. The bigger factor is a percentage of our population is dying that never played video games or will ever and are being replaced by babies that will grow up into kids that play games in some form. That trend will continue for the next 30-40 years until every generation alive will have played video games at some point.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

The general growth was only a portion of what I said. The bigger factor is a percentage of our population is dying that never played video games or will ever and are being replaced by babies that will grow up into kids that play games in some form. That trend will continue for the next 30-40 years until every generation alive will have played video games at some point.

In most of the developed world, which makes up the vast majority of Nintendo's sales base, people have been living longer and having fewer children for some time now, so we have an ageing population, somewhat reducing the trend you refer to as those elderly are not dying as soon as they used to while fewer young people are coming in.

Again, that's not to say the Switch doesn't have an advantage, I just don't think it's primarily due to population growth.