By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 101M, PS5 Tops 17M - Global Hardware Dec 19 to 25

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through December 25

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to December 29)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to December 28)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to December 26)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to December 25)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 2,228,200 (-73.9%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – Up Year-on-Year 5,590,332 (+196.1%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 2,324,799 (-8.6%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 399,797 (-92.1%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 6,107,605 (-73.9%)
  • PlayStation 5 – Up Year-on-Year 8,675,778 (+207.3%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

NS now sixth of all time and could be fifth within a week or two, the consolidation of both home and portable userbases still leaves a lot of potential sales even as we enter into its fifth year, the next investors report will be an interesting one.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 59

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. PS5: 17,251,335
  2. Switch: 16,164,411
  3. XSX|S: 11,477,311

Through the first 59 weeks available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.09 million units units and is 5.77 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.69 million units.

The PS5 has sold 17.25 million in 59 weeks worldwide, while the Switch sold 16.16 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 11.48 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 59 weeks, the PS5 is in the lead. The PS5 has a 38.4 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.6 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 6,033,888
  2. Switch: 5,788,831
  3. XSX|S: 5,419,220

Through the first 59 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.25 million units and is 0.61 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.37 million units.

The PS5 has sold 6.03 million in 59 weeks in the US, while the Switch sold 5.79 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.42 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 59 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The PS5 has a 35.0 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 33.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 31.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (58 weeks):

1. PS5: 6,908,185
  2. Switch: 4,134,743
  3. XSX|S: 3,493,116

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 58 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.77 million units and is 3.42 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.64 million units.

The PS5 has sold 6.91 million in 58 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 4.13 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 3.49 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 58 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 47.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 28.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 4,095,994
  2. PS5: 1,229,965
  3. XSX|S: 130,112

Through the first 59 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.87 million units and is 3.97 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.10 million units.

The Switch has sold 4.10 million units in 59 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.23 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.13 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 59 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.1 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 22.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.4 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Torpoleon said:

@curl-6 And by the end of 2022, there will likely only be two that will have surpassed Switch.

Barring Nintendo doing the dumbest thing since the Wii U and replacing Switch this year, then yes, passing PS4 and Gameboy in 2022 is basically guaranteed.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

^^
One could also immediately post the next one.

I wonder if we ever need one where Switch knocks on the door of the PS2.

S.Peelman said:

^^

Unless they keep producing and selling Switch for 12+ years like Sony did with PS2, or their next system tanks out of the gate like PS3 did for PS2, or a huge amount buy Switch's for non-gaming purposes like tens of millions bought PS2 to be the cheapest dvd player they could find did, then it will never be a fair comparison. Switch will probably produce and sell devices 4-5 less years than PS2, will probably be followed by something with an attractive price point out of the gate (unlike PS3), and is used exclusively for gaming.

Because of this, I'm a lot more impressed by Switch selling 10 devices than PS2 selling 10 devices. If Switch we're to actually catch PS2 lifetime sales despite ps2's advantages, then in reality it will be much more impressive, not barely, than the ps2's success.

Dulfite said:
S.Peelman said:

^^

Unless they keep producing and selling Switch for 12+ years like Sony did with PS2, or their next system tanks out of the gate like PS3 did for PS2, or a huge amount buy Switch's for non-gaming purposes like tens of millions bought PS2 to be the cheapest dvd player they could find did, then it will never be a fair comparison. Switch will probably produce and sell devices 4-5 less years than PS2, will probably be followed by something with an attractive price point out of the gate (unlike PS3), and is used exclusively for gaming.

Because of this, I'm a lot more impressed by Switch selling 10 devices than PS2 selling 10 devices. If Switch we're to actually catch PS2 lifetime sales despite ps2's advantages, then in reality it will be much more impressive, not barely, than the ps2's success.

It might also come down to how well Nintendo is able to expand in developing countries. They have made some big strides with Switch but there is a lot of areas they could still build upon that and could allow them to sell for a long time.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Are this week’s numbers also going to be delayed like last weeks? I’m eager to see the final end of year numbers

aTokenYeti said:

Are this week’s numbers also going to be delayed like last weeks? I’m eager to see the final end of year numbers

Yeah, they will be delayed again. But I'd expect to be able to post them on Tuesday or Wednesday.