By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite game(s) that time forgot

Majora said:

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. I’m not even gonna say it’s a good game, but I loved it and for whatever reason, it stuck with me to this very day! I love the character Croc and I still think about those fuzzy little orange bits and hope they’re all ok <3 (I should get out more…)

foxmccloud64 said:
curl-6 said:

For me:

Fatal Frame 4. The fact it was foolishly only released in Japan contributes a lot to this, but I really feel it's one of the finest horror games I have ever played, with a powerful atmosphere, genuine scariness, and a poignant undercurrent of melancholy. One of my favourite games on Wii.

The Last Story. Localization also played a role in this one not getting the exposure it deserved, but it's also a Wii classic that seems largely forgotten. It has one of my favourite battle systems in a JPRG, charming characters, a wonderful score, and a refreshing lack of cringe.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. A fantastic rollercoaster ride of slick arcade goodness, bursting at the seams with energy and dynamism and a showcase for how amazing pointer aiming can be when done right.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I really enjoyed this one. It had really effective atmosphere and storytelling, clever and enjoyable use of the Wiimote, some of the best graphics on Wii, and it was genuinely scary. At a time when it was rare for third party games on Wii to actually try, this one felt like it had real effort behind it.

Starfox 1993. Almost always overlooked in favour of its more lavish N64 successor, the SNES original is still an excellent space epic with awesome bosses, fantastic music, and a very well balanced level of challenge. It's also a watershed technological milestone in the home console space that I feel actually holds up better than the 3D of the N64 era thanks to its simple flat shaded polygons mixed with appealing 16-bit sprite work.

Great selection altogheter, I would add Red Steel 2 to those wii games, the game came out at the time when interest in wii was starting to die,  like lots of other non-nintendo franchises it was overlooked despite the effort developers made to have one if not the best motion plus controlled game on the wii, rectifying lots of problems they had with the first one, while not having a great storyline or far deeper characters, it was a great experience with the controls and graphics that were very stylish for the wii(i also liked the samurai/gunsliger mashup, and i guess  the first game could also have a rework to make it work better).

Both of these for me too!

Also Dead Space Extraction on Wii for living up to its IP even in an on-rails format thanks to its potent atmosphere and satisfying combat, and Pop'n Twinbee on SNES for being one of the most stylish and accessible shumps of that era.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 January 2022

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

* Alpha Centauri.

* Dungeon Keeper

* Evolva

* Sacrifice

* Battlezone

* Dark Reign

* Lufia

Some honorable mentions (I got lazy and didn't want to source images...)
* Arcanum.
* Black and White.
* Spore.
* Sim City.
* Kings Quest.
* Half Life.
* Giants: Citizen Kabuto.
* Left 4 Dead.
* Portal.
* Icewind Dale.
* Baldurs Gate.
* Planescape Torment.
* Dink Smallwood.

while I agree with many of the great  games on your list Half- Life isn't a forgotten game

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Rudra no Hihou (SNES)
Bahamut Lagoon (SNES)

If you never played those games, do yourself a favor and get a SNES emulator and the translated games. Both are masterpieces.

mjk45 said:

while I agree with many of the great  games on your list Half- Life isn't a forgotten game

Well. Valve has certainly forgotten it... Half Life 2 came out 18 years ago.
A baby would have grown up and be legally allowed to smoke, drink, gamble, go to war, be a license driver and more in that amount of time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

What's meant by forgotten game? Almost all of these games I've seen featured in youtube videos or in forums, within the last 2-3 months. Some of these (like Skies of Arcadia) mentioned in these very forums in the past few days. But yeah, if it's meant games that haven't seen a release in a while, Skies would qualify.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 06 January 2022

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
mjk45 said:

Well. Valve has certainly forgotten it... Half Life 2 came out 18 years ago.
A baby would have grown up and be legally allowed to smoke, drink, gamble, go to war, be a license driver and more in that amount of time.

True that, and I'm sure that Gabe the retired game developer turned shopkeeper, who's permanent residency across the ditch has more to do with ensuring that he and most importantly the keys to half life 3 's cell are held safely far distant from Valve HQ, as one can be while still being able to eat fush and chups rather than anything covid related, would like it to remain so.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 06 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Have people forgotten Half-Life though? People still talk about it (in forums/YT etc) and CS is still the most popular game on Steam which is mod based on HL/2. Black Mesa came out in 2015 and full release came in 2020. And Valve released Half-Life Alyx just under two years ago.

Last edited by hinch - on 06 January 2022

Franchise/Games:

- Supremacy / Overlord
- Syndicate
- Transport Tycoon
- MDK
- Golden Axe
- Interstate
- Quake
- Dune

Not franchise per se, but the game style:
- Isometric Fallout (1 & 2)
- Top-down GTAs (1 & 2)

Ultimate Spider-Man. It was overshadowed by Spider-Man 2 even thought it was the best Spider-Man game until Spider-Man 2018.

In a similar vein. Batman Begins. The Arkham games are infinitely better, but this was really, really good for a movie tie-in game, and was a goof Batman game from before Arkham Asylum.

Madden Wii 07-09. At the time these were considered the superior versions compared to the concurrent 360/PS3 versions, especially the 07 version since it had so much content which the HD versions didn't have. The motion controls really added to the experience as well in the first 3 games. But I guess it's the nature of annual sports games to be forgotten over time.

Blast Corps - I think it has been overshadowed by the other games Rare released on the N64 but for me it's still one of my favorites. The bouncy music, the silly premise, the varied vehicles, the challenge of getting platinum medals, it's all good fun.

Signature goes here!