By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite game(s) that time forgot

The Beginner’s Guide

Its from the same person who made the Stanley Parable but very few played it in comparison and it got mixed reviews upon release and dubbed as just “a walking simulator”. But its truly one of the best artistic experiences in general in the past decade and rly needs the attention it deserves

Around the Network
00Xander00 said:

Space Station: Silicon Valley

I love this game. One of the N64's greatest hidden gems, along with Beetle Adventure Racing.

Illusion said:

Turok series

Definitely in the way of new games, but with the first two games remastered by Nightdive in the last few years (and a chance they'll do some of the others too), I don't think they're forgotten about.

KratosLives said:

Vagrant story
Wing commader 4
Hogs of war

Hogs of war is also my pick - did not think anybody else would mention it. Me and my brother played probably for 100s of hours. Never really multiplayer, but the campaign was excellent! Such a fun game.

And the little things the hogs say before firing a gun, or before dying always made me laugh with their accents. Such an endearing game. And yet quite hard towards the end. Or at least it felt that way in the 90s, earl 2000s. Really sone incredibly fond memories.

Another great early PC game was the Even More Incredible Machine.

There was a modern sequel made called Contraption Maker that started brightly, but didn’t have the long term success it hoped for.  Worth a look.

Sinstar is an old arcade classic I mention sometimes that takes a while for anyone to remember.
Still, I guess we’re at the point where games like Frogger and even more recent games like Lemmings that have sold close to 40 million copies between them are getting forgotten then Sinistar is going to have a tougher time.

Around the Network

Betrayal at Krondor https://www.mobygames.com/game/betrayal-at-krondor

POD https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/pod

Der Patrizier https://www.mobygames.com/game/patrician

The Ogre Battle Series...I loved it...but it was never finished sadly.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

*looks at my quality collection*

Sigh

Legacy of Kain series used to be popular franchise between PS1 to PS2 era, but ultimately it's forgotten and unfinished story telling.

Oasis series or known as The Story of Thor series in Europe. Uh oh... lmao.

Golden Axe series, last releases was Beast Rider. Goddamn, it was trainwreck and the IP died here.

Wizards and Warriors
Maniac Mansion
Skies of Arcadia
Eternal Darkness
Viewtiful Joe
Zach and Wiki

Hiku said:

I don't know if Shadow Hearts counts.

But it hasn't been a thing since the third game back in 2005. And key members of the development team has split up into different companies, so even if it were to come back some day, it probably wouldn't have the same writer, director, etc.

The first game released around the same time as FFX, so it was largely overlooked. And it was originally developed for PS1, but moved to PS2 late in development, so the visuals look notably more primitive than it does in the sequels.

This game holds a special place in my heart because when there are few people to talk to about a game you're passionate about, you especially remember the people you shared the experience with. And the series was recommended to me by some good friends from back then, so I associate the game with them and that time.
It has an interesting unique combat system, which I've heard resembles the one in Legend of Dragoon in some ways. 

The dark atmosphere, in particular from the first game, is something that stood out to me as well.
Had a lot of memorable characters, and there's a certain promotional music video that always gets me with the music, because it reminds me of the ending.

Shadow hearts covenant music video - YouTube

I'm NOT listening to it. Don't feel like crying today.

~Edit~

I lied. I listened to it. Fuck!

Yes it does especially the first two games with covenant the cherry on top.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot