By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite game(s) that time forgot

drbunnig said:
Illusion said:

Turok series

Definitely in the way of new games, but with the first two games remastered by Nightdive in the last few years (and a chance they'll do some of the others too), I don't think they're forgotten about.

I know what you're saying, but how much are these re-releases and re-masters actually restoring the popularity of these series?  I mean, Phantasy Star recently got released on Nintendo Switch Online as well, but I can't imagine more than a handful of people actually played this game in the past year.  Shadows of the Empire also had a recent re-master but I still think that I am one of the only people on the planet who is actually still playing it in the past year (as evidence, there are only a handful of let's plays of this game left on Youtube and I can't even find a single online walkthrough anymore for locating all of the power-ups on each level -- there is a ton of lost information about this game that is still in my mind but I cannot find anywhere on the internet now which is a really weird feeling).  

Maybe I am wrong about Turok because it is a series that is not quite as beloved to me and I do not know exactly how big the re-masters were, but I can definitely tell you that many of these games on my list are largely forgotten even if they had remasters/re-releases in the last 6 years and it is largely because they are just not approachable to modern audiences anymore.

Around the Network

Gex
Croc
Radiata Stories
Steambot Chronicles
Primal
Golden Sun
Spirits & Spells
Indigo Prophecy
Octodad
Shadow Hearts
Arc The Lad
Epic Mickey
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Okage: Shadow King
Eternal Darkness
Summoner
Bbaten Kaitos

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

Mine would be Ring of Red especially because there was so much potential to work with especially in regard to having end of battle ranking up via skill trees for your surviving various types of soldiers that support your Mech and for all those twenty minute long battles a mid battle save point would be good.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 04 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

For me:

Fatal Frame 4. The fact it was foolishly only released in Japan contributes a lot to this, but I really feel it's one of the finest horror games I have ever played, with a powerful atmosphere, genuine scariness, and a poignant undercurrent of melancholy. One of my favourite games on Wii.

The Last Story. Localization also played a role in this one not getting the exposure it deserved, but it's also a Wii classic that seems largely forgotten. It has one of my favourite battle systems in a JPRG, charming characters, a wonderful score, and a refreshing lack of cringe.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. A fantastic rollercoaster ride of slick arcade goodness, bursting at the seams with energy and dynamism and a showcase for how amazing pointer aiming can be when done right.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I really enjoyed this one. It had really effective atmosphere and storytelling, clever and enjoyable use of the Wiimote, some of the best graphics on Wii, and it was genuinely scary. At a time when it was rare for third party games on Wii to actually try, this one felt like it had real effort behind it.

Starfox 1993. Almost always overlooked in favour of its more lavish N64 successor, the SNES original is still an excellent space epic with awesome bosses, fantastic music, and a very well balanced level of challenge. It's also a watershed technological milestone in the home console space that I feel actually holds up better than the 3D of the N64 era thanks to its simple flat shaded polygons mixed with appealing 16-bit sprite work.

KratosLives said:

Vagrant story
Wing commader 4
Hogs of war

Yes Vagrant story and Parasite Eve that now leads me to wanting sequels and in Eve's case a proper jrpg sequel rather than the okay resident evil style Parasite Eve 2 or the psp 3rd person action game.

Around the Network
Scary4Eva said:

Gex
Croc
Radiata Stories
Steambot Chronicles
Primal
Golden Sun
Spirits & Spells
Indigo Prophecy
Octodad
Shadow Hearts
Arc The Lad
Epic Mickey
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Okage: Shadow King
Eternal Darkness
Summoner
Bbaten Kaitos

Yes Summoner especially the second game although the first one did have this

Last edited by mjk45 - on 04 January 2022

Dragon Ball Z Infinite World
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3
Spider Man 2
Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia
Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku 2
Smack Down vs Raw 2006
Mario Hoops 3 on 3
Sonic Advance
Ratchet and Clank PS2

Harvest Moon Back to Nature

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
curl-6 said:

Starfox 1993. Almost always overlooked in favour of its more lavish N64 successor, the SNES original is still an excellent space epic with awesome bosses, fantastic music, and a very well balanced level of challenge. It's also a watershed technological milestone in the home console space that I feel actually holds up better than the 3D of the N64 era thanks to its simple flat shaded polygons mixed with appealing 16-bit sprite work.

ireadtabloids:

If they had access to the Super FX chip they were using for DOOM and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s island two years later then I feel that game would have captured the attention of a lot more people.

The frame rate cost of the first version of the chip they created made the game a bit more challenging for me to play and get into.

Will be amazing if anyone manages to get Starfox SNES working at the higher frame rate with the later SuperFX chip without that frame rate increase affecting the speed the on rails levels play at.

Breath of fire series. I would give up my rock hard abs for that series to return, if I had them.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery