By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei V sells over 800k

ryuzaki57 said:

I was wondering why Atlus hadn't said anything so far. I bet they wanted to anounce 1m but in the end couldn't.
This is less than P5, P5S or even P5R. The obvious conclusion is that SMT needs to open itself to more platforms if Atlus wants to maximize the returns.

Weird comparison, which makes me question whether you are familiar with the overall huge MegaTen franchise or not. Persona is way more accessible and mainstream-friendly than mainline SMT games these days. As others already mentioned, SMT V is already selling better than its' predecessors. Also, another fact that you can add here is that in just 1.5 month it sold around the same numbers as Persona 4 did lifetime on a PS2 which had bigger install base. Yeah, and don't forget about a lot of people in the community getting into mainline SMT games with this one for the first time. At least, I've heard a lot about it and I myself never played mainline SMT before V. Don't really wanna sound rude, but this post smells like plain port begging from someone who doesn't have a platform to play the game on.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I was wondering why Atlus hadn't said anything so far. I bet they wanted to anounce 1m but in the end couldn't.
This is less than P5, P5S or even P5R. The obvious conclusion is that SMT needs to open itself to more platforms if Atlus wants to maximize the returns.

Weird comparison, which makes me question whether you are familiar with the overall huge MegaTen franchise or not. Persona is way more accessible and mainstream-friendly than mainline SMT games these days. As others already mentioned, SMT V is already selling better than its' predecessors. Also, another fact that you can add here is that in just 1.5 month it sold around the same numbers as Persona 4 did lifetime on a PS2 which had bigger install base. Yeah, and don't forget about a lot of people in the community getting into mainline SMT games with this one for the first time. At least, I've heard a lot about it and I myself never played mainline SMT before V. Don't really wanna sound rude, but this post smells like plain port begging from someone who doesn't have a platform to play the game on.

remember the chills of losing the game in the first encounters on SMIV. 

I can't even find a physical copy in Spain. Sega didn't ship SMTV thinking It could sell this Well.

SegaHeart said:
DavidValbu said:

I can't even find a physical copy in Spain. Sega didn't ship SMTV thinking It could sell this Well.

Theres alot of Shin Megami Games in USA , It seems Sega europe didn't ship enough?

Yeah, It is out of stock

ryuzaki57 said:

What a horrible take. Laughable lol. You have an ongoing Agenda against Switch 3rd party games.

SMT series is not the most accessible in gameplay. It's very niche to begin with. This is performing better than SMT3 on PS2 and SMTIV on 3DS. Persona is a different kind of game altogether. It's gameplay is very approachable. It's a spinoff. SMTV is the easiest SMT to get into and performing wonderfully in sales. SMT took a more open approach and more people bought it.

Last edited by Leynos - on 05 January 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

Shin Megami Tensei V has been out for almost 2 months and it's already the best selling game of the mainline SMT games. Heck, it's very close to selling a million copies. I'm sure it'll reach that much very soon.

DavidValbu said:

I encourage all Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon and Mario fans to buy and support this game. This game must have higher sales. It is one of the biggest Nintendo Switch titles in 2021, same as Monster Hunter Rise and Metroid Dread (actually do not count Pokémon Remake as a Big one)

Because people who enjoy Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon would definitely enjoy SMT, or because Nintendo fans have some sort of obligation to buy third party games whether they like the style of game or not?

burninmylight said:
DavidValbu said:

I encourage all Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon and Mario fans to buy and support this game. This game must have higher sales. It is one of the biggest Nintendo Switch titles in 2021, same as Monster Hunter Rise and Metroid Dread (actually do not count Pokémon Remake as a Big one)

Because people who enjoy Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon would definitely enjoy SMT, or because Nintendo fans have some sort of obligation to buy third party games whether they like the style of game or not?

That's what I was thinking, weird take. If you are interested in the game, then buy it (I have the game). But why any Nintendo fan should support this? Just because it's a big third party release? 

IcaroRibeiro said:
burninmylight said:

That's what I was thinking, weird take. If you are interested in the game, then buy it (I have the game). But why any Nintendo fan should support this? Just because it's a big third party release? 

We've now seen two different flavors of "Third parties on Nintendo consoles are doomed" within this thread. First, there was the one that made it sound like SMT5 is a failure for not selling like Persona, even though the former is already the best selling game in the series after only a month and a half. Then there's the people who think Nintendo fans owe it to third party publishers to rush out and buy their games for having the graciousness and mercy to dare put games on a Nintendo console, even if they might not actually enjoy the games.

Amazing, congrats to Atlus, 1 million is certainly possible