By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei V sells over 800k

Leynos said:

He.

Mara is only referred to as Female in Strange Journey from the ATLUS USA translation. So they fucked up

https://eirikrjs.tumblr.com/post/148319165217/why-is-mara-female-in-strange-journey

Mara is a HE and a KING

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Mara#Profile

Yeah, the localisation team probably had a mixup in the underlying mythology or simply assumed female, as Mara is in the english speaking world sometimes a female name. Atlus obviously referenced the demon from buddhist mythology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_(demon)

The localisation team might have confused that with the goddess from hinduism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_(Hindu_goddess)

All the in-game texts clearly reference the mythology associated with the buddhist demon.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Mara is only referred to as Female in Strange Journey from the ATLUS USA translation. So they fucked up

https://eirikrjs.tumblr.com/post/148319165217/why-is-mara-female-in-strange-journey

Actually that screenshot/picture was from SMTIV Apocalypse.

I'm still playing through SMTIV Strange Journey (which I started last week lol) - so I havent gotten to the end game yet to see Mara lol

Basil's YouTube Channel

I am facing that multi-alien head thing at the Tokyo's Tower. I die eveytime that Monster executes that poison attack. I will have to find out the way to survive.

DavidValbu said:

I am facing that multi-alien head thing at the Tokyo's Tower. I die eveytime that Monster executes that poison attack. I will have to find out the way to survive.

It charges up the poison attack. The Hydra is weak to ice and you want some dark dampeners. And don't forget your Magatsuhi skills. Hit it with ice then physical attacks. Don't be too defensive.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I feel like these would be excellent sales for a game like this regardless of platform honestly. It really isn't a mainstream title, and makes very few concessions to trying to appeal to a wider audience. (That's not a criticism by the way)

Even on PS2, the highest selling console of all time, SMT3 only managed 380k.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

By the way, Epic video Game soundtrack

SMT and SMTPersona are on the rise. They were both relatively obscure until Persona 5 (though Persona 4's two releases gained a little traction).
SMTVI is all but guaranteed, but we'll have to see what platforms it's on. Persona 6 will probably be a PS5 exclusive, or at least a timed one.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Don't expect SMTVI for another 8-10 years. The gap between releases since the SNES era is huge. Not talking spinoffs but the mainline numbered entries. SMT II was 1994. SMT III is 2003. SMTIV is 2013. SMTV is 2021.

If Atlus did an HD collection of the DS/3DS games that would be awesome tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Don't expect SMTVI for another 8-10 years. The gap between releases since the SNES era is huge. Not talking spinoffs but the mainline numbered entries. SMT II was 1994. SMT III is 2003. SMTIV is 2013. SMTV is 2021.

If Atlus did an HD collection of the DS/3DS games that would be awesome tho.

There might be a second SMTV game...maybe , maybe not like SMTIV and SMTIV Apocalypse.

Anyways, I'm hoping for a remaster/port (or a remake in this case) of older SMT games - they need to make them multiplat instead of being stuck on the 3DS.

-SMTIV and IV Apocalypse
-SMT Strange Journey Redux
-SMT Devil Survivor 1 and 2
-SMT Soul Hackers

But honestly with SMTIII being remastered - I'm hoping for a SMTI/II collection - especially since the latest version of SMT1 and 2 which were on mobile platforms is now delisted.

Devil Summoner Soulless army would be nice along with a remake of the Last Bible games.

Also I'm sure SMTV will hit 1 mil sooner than later - the game on Switch has been going on sale constantly. The lowest I've seen it for was $35 for the steelbook edition (I got my copy for $20 when it was $35 and used a gift certificate on best buy).

I think the US has overshipped.

Basil's YouTube Channel

I just arrived to the second Boss, Nuwa. It's funny you know that you are going to die the first time you face a Boss even before the combat starts.