By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Tops 98M, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series - Global Hardware Nov 28 to Dec 4

There's a big gap between Xbox Series and PS5 in America. I suppose the Series S stock did its job?

Around the Network

Wow, that was a higher week after Black Friday than I was expecting for Switch.

Almost at the 100m mark.
My champagne is ready.

PS5 sales are really pathetic at the moment

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I'm sure Nintendo will announce when the Switch hits 100m rather than making us a wait till February earnings call. A tremendous achievement!

Around the Network

so is the chip shortage hitting MS and Sony way worse than Nintendo due to the difference in the nature of hardware (i.e. PC vs Mobile) ?

no PC vs mobile makes no difference. what makes a difference is the 7nm process vs 16nm process.

AllfatherStarr said:

so is the chip shortage hitting MS and Sony way worse than Nintendo due to the difference in the nature of hardware (i.e. PC vs Mobile) ?

Almost certainly. Just as the Series S is easier to produce than the Series X no doubt it's easier than that to produce the Switch. The size of the APU's can give some indication of why Switch is easier.

Xbox Series X APU = 360.45mm2
PS5 APU = 307.20mm2
Xbox Series S APU = 197.05mm2
Switch APU = 100mm2 (2019), the 2017 model was 118mm2

It's a much smaller chip, so it requires less materials to make.

AllfatherStarr said:

I don't think that to be the case. Probably has something to do with previous components stocks kept by Nintendo.

AllfatherStarr said:

Yes, and also quantity of parts used. The Xboxes and PlayStation both use more ram that is also more expensive, they both use much more expensive storage solutions, the both require more robust cooling solutions, and also don’t underrate how much more the per unit shipping cost is because of how much larger the physical boxes are.