By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games with unfair Metascore

Singularity and Binary Domain.

Both are an absolute blast and deserve better than a mid-70s on Metacritic.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 December 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:

Metroid Other M: Look, the story is awful, but some of the gameplay features like grabbing, dodging, countering...all of that made Samus feel very bad ass and bled its way into Metroid Dread. Sure it isn't deserving of the 90's, but give it five points up for the graphics (amazing for the Wii) and gameplay. Though I will say the first person thing was a bad idea and they should have let you use an analog stick.

Other M's score is one of the most undeserved I've ever seen, gotta agree with you on that. Not so much on the rest of your argument, though.

The story is terrible and the gameplay is even worse. Having the sideways Wiimote as the only control option was an awful idea and then turning it to do motion-aimed first-person shooting has to go down as one of the worst gimmicks ever conceived, I have no clue how that made its way into the finalized game. The graphics are impressive for a Wii game but the art direction kills the game's visuals, everything looks bland and lifeless, plastic even. Samus' design is particularly bad.

There is nothing decent about the game, really nothing at all. Its metascore isn't as low as it is because it was judged harshly compared to other Metroid games. Instead it's the Metroid name that carried Other M to much better scores it'd have if it was its own thing. It deserves a 50 at best.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

no

trunkswd said:

Here are the top rated Metacritic games. Several IMO aren't nearly that good.

1. TLoZ: Ocarina of Time - 99
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 98
  3. GTA4 - 98
  4. SoulCalibur - 98
  5. Mario Galaxy - 97
  6. Mario Galaxy 2 - 97
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 97
  8. GTAV X1 - 97
  9. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 97
  10. TLoZ: Breath of the Wild - 97

The most shocking is GTA IV on PS3, 98 on metacritic but it's a blurry mess with awful frame dips, unplayable by today's standards

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Rockstar games. Have a really high metascore, but for me, at best they are 6/10 games

Around the Network

Too low scores:

Pac-Man World Rally (57), Sonic Riders Zero Gravity (56), Batman the Brave and the Bold (70), Cannon Spike (73), God Hand (73), Wario Land Shake It (78) to name a few.

Cave shooters usually don't have high scores. Many older Atelier games have a Metascore below 70 too.

Last edited by Player2 - on 08 December 2021

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

Here are the top rated Metacritic games. Several IMO aren't nearly that good.

1. TLoZ: Ocarina of Time - 99
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 98
  3. GTA4 - 98
  4. SoulCalibur - 98
  5. Mario Galaxy - 97
  6. Mario Galaxy 2 - 97
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 97
  8. GTAV X1 - 97
  9. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 97
  10. TLoZ: Breath of the Wild - 97

The most shocking is GTA IV on PS3, 98 on metacritic but it's a blurry mess with awful frame dips, unplayable by today's standards

TBH if we adjust for today's standards, the only 'older' games that hold up in that list are SMG 1 and 2

AllfatherStarr said:
SKMBlake said:

TBH if we adjust for today's standards, the only 'older' games that hold up in that list are SMG 1 and 2

Nah, I replayed Galaxy 1, it isn't nearly as good as Galaxy 2, and below Odyssey

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:

Rockstar do some one of the most accomplished open world/sand boxed games though and nobody comes close to the amount of detail in that respective genre. IV was a landmark in that regard as was V and III before it. Like if including physics ai and interactivity - vehicles, npcs etc. Every iteration pushes the limits. And also story telling and amount of polish in them. Granted 98 is a bit insane, and its not for everyone lots of people enjoy those games including critics.

My pick would be Prey (2006) 79 on meta. One of my favourite FPS titles done by Human Head Studios/3D Realms that flew well under the radar. Excellent story, settings, characters. Also with really well designed levels/maps, good gunplay and innovative gameplay using portals and different perspectives etc; it was ahead of the curve in a lot of respects. Its a shame the game didn't fair that well with critics and nor did do well commercially and ended up being a niche cult shooter. The cancellation of the actual sequel by HHS still hurts. But yeah this game deserves a way higher score imo..

Last edited by hinch - on 08 December 2021

SKMBlake said:
AllfatherStarr said:

Nah, I replayed Galaxy 1, it isn't nearly as good as Galaxy 2, and below Odyssey

Yeah I've not played Galaxy 2, but I got all 120 stars in the first Galaxy and Odyssey is a better game imo.

I give Galaxy a 90 and Odyssey a 95, which is probably the highest score I'd give to any game.

I think the only game in the top 10 out of the 5 I've played that definitely deserve to be in the top 10 is Ocarina of Time... Maybe Galaxy would stay in the top 10 somewhere for me but most of that list definitely wouldn't.

Gamerscore:20,000  -  Trophies:3,800 -  Nintendo Awards: -1

My Xbox Series S is my baby. It grew up into an X.