By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games with unfair Metascore

Undeservingly high scores: BOTW, WWaker, FFantasy X, Nioh, KH1 and KH2
Should have higher scores: Suikoden 2, Octopath Traveler, Ys VIII, Mega man 11

Around the Network

I mean its the average review score so who am I to argue against any of them. Plenty of games I didn't enjoy that are highly rated like Hades, Metal Gears Solid 5, Batman games, but it's simply my opinion and if others like those games great. I think the lowest average reviewed game that I enjoyed was Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World, it wasn't great and the main character was annoying but it was great to get the gang back together from one of my favorite games.

I suppose an unfair metascore would be a difference of at least 10 points from what I think the game deserves.

• Should be higher:
    • Nier - 68 Metascore, the story and characters alone deserve better, and the rest of the game isn't that bad either. Fortunately the remake gave the game second chance.
    • Tales of Berseria - 79 Metascore. The best game in the whole series in my opinion, deserves somewhere closer to 90.
    • The Legend of Dragoon - 74 Metascore. My second favourite game ever, so deserves much more.
    • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - 80 metascore. The best game in the series in my opinion, and I rate at least five of them at 90 or above.
  • Should be lower:
    • Dead Space - 88 metascore (on PS3). For a horror game that is rarely scary after the first 30-40 minutes that's a very high score.
    • Red Dead Redemption - 95 metascore. I think it took me at least six months to finish the game because nothing about it was genuinely great or that engaging, outside of maybe its soundtrack.
    • Nioh - 88 metascore. Kinda on the limit here, since I would give Nioh maybe an 8/10. It's a very good game, just not as good as a lot of people made it out to be. I finished it, but unlike the Dark Souls-games or Bloodborne for example, I doubt I'll ever bother going back to Nioh nor do I really have much interest in playing the sequel.

Sea of Thieves deserve the low score at release but with all the update that was made to the game. The current version of the game doesn't deserve the 69 that it got at release.

Daemon X Machina. I have no idea why but Western media HATES Japanese mecha games. Even the Armored Core games western media lambasted even tho they were very well made. Zone of the Enders 2 keeps getting remastered but got lower scores than deserved. It's one of the greatest games ever made. DXM is a mix of both ZOE and AC. granted the story is anime as all hell. The gameplay tho is great. The customization lets build a mech that is slow and tank-like. Fast as hell. Something more balanced. You can go pretty conservative or about as insane as you want. There is a ton of content. Main story has a bunch of missions. Side content just as many missions. Online play for a bunch more. It's loaded.

I mean I can name hundreds more games and maybe will cherry-pick later in the topic some of those. For this post. Daemon X Machina and Japanese mech action games in general from western media.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
yvanjean said:

Sea of Thieves deserve the low score at release but with all the update that was made to the game. The current version of the game doesn't deserve the 69 that it got at release.

EA's Star Wars Battlefront II is in the mid to high 60s (varies on different platforms) on Metascore because it's the launch version. So I feel that pain. I'm glad I didn't play the game at launch (didn't have a PS4 yet). 

To me, the final version of Battlefront II is at least the high 70s. I would personally rate it in the low to mid 80s. A lot of fun with some good content.

Shigeru Miyamoto amended his famous quote in recent years to say that a bad launch remains bad forever, not necessarily a game. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3. The PS2 version has a 73 on metacritic but a 9.0 user score.

Also Suikoden 2 has a 82 but a 9.2 user score.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 07 December 2021

Most overrated game....Red Dead Redemption 2.

Underrated...Dying Light (original as it should have been high 80s instead of a 74)

Most attacked for a score it deserves...BotW.

Least attacked for a score that should be lower...Fortnite (TLoU2 actually was attacked, so I just randomly picked something else).

And finally...a game that I feel likely deserves the score...I just for some reason cannot get into it...GTA5 (despite liking GTA4 enough to beat it twice).

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Wman1996 said:
yvanjean said:

EA's Star Wars Battlefront II is in the mid to high 60s (varies on different platforms) on Metascore because it's the launch version. So I feel that pain. I'm glad I didn't play the game at launch (didn't have a PS4 yet). 

To me, the final version of Battlefront II is at least the high 70s. I would personally rate it in the low to mid 80s. A lot of fun with some good content.

Shigeru Miyamoto amended his famous quote in recent years to say that a bad launch remains bad forever, not necessarily a game. 

Micro transaction vs Half baked product review bomb. Many games haven't learned their lesson from these two games.  

Battlefront II is super famous now for gamers bad reaction when you take Micro transaction too far. 

shikamaru317 said:
trunkswd said:

Here are the top rated Metacritic games. Several IMO aren't nearly that good.

1. TLoZ: Ocarina of Time - 99
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 98
  3. GTA4 - 98
  4. SoulCalibur - 98
  5. Mario Galaxy - 97
  6. Mario Galaxy 2 - 97
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 97
  8. GTAV X1 - 97
  9. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 97
  10. TLoZ: Breath of the Wild - 97

Red Dead Redemption 2 making top 10 over the first Red Dead Redemption remains one of gaming's all-time greatest tragedies imo. 

Couldn't agree more RDR was great RDR2 ruined by busywork.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot