By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games with unfair Metascore

Zippy6 said:

BOTW having 97. *Hides*

Yeah  it should be 99.

Around the Network

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. Lots of reviews didn’t have a whole lot of negatives about the game—except for lack of “taking advantage to the Wii’s motion controls” which is quite frankly utter BS.

It has a 78% on Meta and it’s often praised as one of the best stories in the series with some of the best OST and overall lore. It at least deserves an 85%.

and it’s graphics for the Wii are pretty good too. It would turn into a great remaster if they ever decided to port it. Animations are top notch. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Jpcc86 said:

Undeservingly high scores: BOTW, WWaker, FFantasy X, Nioh, KH1 and KH2
Should have higher scores: Suikoden 2, Octopath Traveler, Ys VIII, Mega man 11

Bold 1: haha, my two favorite games. Their scores are to low.

Bold 2: I agree with that one though. Ys VIII should be at 90.

Astral Chain at 87. It's not like that's actually low but it's definitely a must play imo. Should be over 90.
Same goes for Metroid Dread at 88 and Monster Hunter Rise at 88.
And why the hell did Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury get a that much lower score than the original Wii U release. Bowser's Fury made it way better.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 07 December 2021

Metroid Other M: Look, the story is awful, but some of the gameplay features like grabbing, dodging, countering...all of that made Samus feel very bad ass and bled its way into Metroid Dread. Sure it isn't deserving of the 90's, but give it five points up for the graphics (amazing for the Wii) and gameplay. Though I will say the first person thing was a bad idea and they should have let you use an analog stick.

Luigis Mansion 1: I don't really understand what critic's problems were with this game, especially since it's sequels faired way better. It's such a cult classic and a 78 was far too low for a game with such incredible graphics and fun puzzles/gameplay.

Sunset Overdrive: This game is what helped Insomniac create Spiderman. The movement and way that you get around in the game is just a blast. Grinding around, bouncing off of things, running off of walls...it's just so fun. So much so that, when I finally got a PS4 and play Second Son, I just couldn't stop thinking how Sony should use Insomniac to make an Infamous game. I kind of got my wish on that one lol.

Shadow of the Colossus: I know that this game is rated a 91, which is great...but this game is absolutely one of my favorites ever since I played the remake on PS4. It's just an incredible experience. Though it's a one and done game for me personally, the boss battles are just incredible, the music is fantastic, and the story is given in such a great way.

Games that have higher scores than I personally think that they should:

LittleBigPlanet (all of them). Their platforming is just awful and the run really poorly on the PS3. I beat all of them with my girlfriend and was astonished that the first two had meta scores in the 90's. I like the games, but not that much.

Journey: I played this one and beat it...probably the most boring experience I've had in a video game that was so beloved. I'm sorry to those who love this game...but I just don't get the praise.

Flight Simulator: Speaking of boring...I don't think I need to explain this one. It just isn't for me.

Around the Network

Singularity and Binary Domain.

Both are an absolute blast and deserve better than a mid-70s on Metacritic.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 December 2021

trunkswd said:

Here are the top rated Metacritic games. Several IMO aren't nearly that good.

1. TLoZ: Ocarina of Time - 99
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 98
  3. GTA4 - 98
  4. SoulCalibur - 98
  5. Mario Galaxy - 97
  6. Mario Galaxy 2 - 97
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 97
  8. GTAV X1 - 97
  9. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 97
  10. TLoZ: Breath of the Wild - 97

The most shocking is GTA IV on PS3, 98 on metacritic but it's a blurry mess with awful frame dips, unplayable by today's standards

Rockstar games. Have a really high metascore, but for me, at best they are 6/10 games

Too low scores:

Pac-Man World Rally (57), Sonic Riders Zero Gravity (56), Batman the Brave and the Bold (70), Cannon Spike (73), God Hand (73), Wario Land Shake It (78) to name a few.

Cave shooters usually don't have high scores. Many older Atelier games have a Metascore below 70 too.

Last edited by Player2 - on 08 December 2021

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

Here are the top rated Metacritic games. Several IMO aren't nearly that good.

1. TLoZ: Ocarina of Time - 99
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 98
  3. GTA4 - 98
  4. SoulCalibur - 98
  5. Mario Galaxy - 97
  6. Mario Galaxy 2 - 97
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 97
  8. GTAV X1 - 97
  9. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 97
  10. TLoZ: Breath of the Wild - 97

The most shocking is GTA IV on PS3, 98 on metacritic but it's a blurry mess with awful frame dips, unplayable by today's standards

TBH if we adjust for today's standards, the only 'older' games that hold up in that list are SMG 1 and 2