By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games with unfair Metascore

Ka-pi96 said:
SKMBlake said:

I don't know, when the framerate is so low that driving is impossible, and the draw distance so low that you don't see anything in front of you, don't make it impossible to play ?

I mean it's in a similar state than the Definitive collection

Except that's simply not true. The game ran perfectly fine last time I played it.

If you dropped your PS3 out of a window or something, that's hardly the games fault.

I guess the guy that did this analysis dropped his PS3 from the window as well:

Framerate that doesn't go above 26fps, driving is between 17fps and 20fps, allisaing everywhere, all textures are blurry.

So I don't know what you call "perfectly fine"

Around the Network
Player2 said:

Too low scores:

Pac-Man World Rally (57), Sonic Riders Zero Gravity (56), Batman the Brave and the Bold (70), Cannon Spike (73), God Hand (73), Wario Land Shake It (78) to name a few.

Cave shooters usually don't have high scores. Many older Atelier games have a Metascore below 70 too.

Totally forgot about Wario Land Shake It. What a game. One of the best in the series (the best for me). The soundtrack is specially great and nobody ever mentions it!. And of course the art style is top notch and the gameplay is super fun and engaging. Easily an 85.

mZuzek said:
SKMBlake said:

Framerate that doesn't go above 26fps, driving is between 17fps and 20fps, allisaing everywhere, all textures are blurry.

It's not perfectly fine, but this kind of stuff was common back then. I remember playing Skyrim on the Xbox 360 and both the resolution and framerate were consistently crap. No one complained. These days people call anything that doesn't run perfectly "unplayable".

Framerate dips to 50fps during heavy load? Unplayable.
Loading screens take longer than 15 seconds? Unplayable.
Resolution is dynamic and goes below 900p? Unplayable.
You can see pop in when moving around? Unplayable.
There's a very intended gameplay mechanic you disagree makes the game better? Unplayable.

Seriously that word is thrown around everywhere, it's just annoying. No one called GTA IV unplayable on the PS3 back when it released.

The Xbox 360 version is far better.

And I'm calling it unplayable even if used to play my games on a shitty PC which used to run games at 320p@15fps, and I am almost exclusively playing my games on the Switch nowadays, mostly 3rd party ports, so I don't use the word "unplayable" lighlty.

I even do cloud gaming for years now, with a DSL connection, and with all the problems it can have.

Heck, I even finished GTA III 2 weeks ago on the Switch despite everybody calling it a hot mess and a buggy unplayable game. I thought it ran just fine.

But I'm sorry, GTA IV on PS3 is the only game I quit playing because it was unplayable.

Fallout: New Vegas, for obvious tangible reasons. Should have been a 90. It’s the best game in the franchise.

^ as someone who played the Trilogy remaster on release. It was broken. Vehicles would blow up seconds after being damaged and you get wasted even before you can get out - infuriating during missions. Cars would clip on random things and go wild, NPC would bug out too alongside other glitches and bugs. Oh and that horrible rain effect that looks like it was raining milk on top on the camera (look it up) and rain would sometimes appear inside buildings (lol). The game was in a incomplete state and was rightfully called out. Now that was unplayable - unless you can deal with playing through immersion and game breaking bugs.

Its wasn't quite as bad as Cyberpunk 2077 for consoles but it was close. GTA otoh on PS3 was fine. Outside of performance hitches, which was normal for PS3 multiplats (particularly with open world games). Judging games purely based on performance is a bit silly I think. Its like all those great SNES, PSX and N64 games that ran at sub 25fps (and lower) but they were/are still very 'playable' to this day.

Last edited by hinch - on 09 December 2021

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Except that's simply not true. The game ran perfectly fine last time I played it.

If you dropped your PS3 out of a window or something, that's hardly the games fault.

I wouldn't call it "perfectly fine", but I beat the game twice on PS3...so "unplayable" seems to be the word in question.

"unplayable" is like saying "I love you".  People say it so easily, that most of the time it does not equate to what the term actually means.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Pokémon Sword/Shield. 80 score is too high for them