By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sells 750K, PS5 Sells 408K, and XS Sells 326K - Global Hardware Nov 14 to 20

curl-6 said:

Xbox Series ahead of PS5 in America again. Maybe there's hope for it yet in its former home turf. It's also more than three quarters of PS5 sale globally.

Switch sales are great as expected.

When you consider that the general consensus last gen was PS4>XB1, it's amazing how much market share Xbox held on to here in the US.  Like @trunks said, not likely to see a "360 level" lead over Sony, but Xbox Series could certainly be the victor over PS5 in the US.  In fact, I kind of expect it to be.

Around the Network

All Time Video Game Hardware Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 116,675,986 (116,600,000+ according to Sony) - Sept. 30st, 2021

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 95,459,805 (92,870,000 according to Nintendo) - Sept. 30th, 2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Switch has officially passed the 95 million mark, and is poised to pass the 96 million, maybe even 97, with the Black Friday numbers next week. Edit: The Switch has also passed 13 million units sold in the "Rest of the World" region and 22 million units in Japan!

PS4 continues to chug along. 

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 29 November 2021

Biggest week ever in the UK? Holy f***!
That means it could actually be up yoy.

curl-6 said:

Xbox Series ahead of PS5 in America again. Maybe there's hope for it yet in its former home turf. It's also more than three quarters of PS5 sale globally.

Switch sales are great as expected.

It’s the same pattern compared to 2014.

On BF week, Xbone sold more than PS4, and it was the same for the 2 weeks before than one.  

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 29 November 2021

Anecdotally, I visited 2 Gamestops and a Walmart on Black Friday.  I tried to pick spots that were not the most popular part of town so I'd have a good shot at finding the things I wanted (which was actually games and not hardware).  The only hardware I saw at all 3 locations was the Series S (with one weird exception*).  I asked the clerk at one Gamestop about hardware and he said they had Switches in early in the morning, but they sold out quickly.  He did, however, have plenty of Series S to sell.  Again, this is at a fairly unpopular location.

*I actually did see a version of the Animal Crossing Switch at the Walmart, however I didn't realize it until I had gotten home.  It was behind glass and turned around, so that it actually looked like an Animal Crossing toy instead of a Switch, and I bet that is the only reason why it was still there.  Upon doing a more thorough search when I got home did I realize it was an Animal Crossing themed Switch.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Out of curiosity, for how long will you guys keep tracking 3DS at the main page?

I mean, it's probably not going anywhere, since Nintendo ended the 3DS production and sales are pretty much dead by now.

I was planning to keep tracking the 3DS for as long as Famitsu keeps tracking it as the only 3DS numbers we are reporting are from Japan. I am shocked there are any left with how long it has been discontinued.

Yep, it just refuses to die.

I believe it will still sell for some months, but at a very slow pace.

Considering it was discontinued in September of 2020, it's amazing there's still 3DS units left to sell.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 November 2021

Kakadu18 said:

Biggest week ever in the UK? Holy f***!
That means it could actually be up yoy.

There was a huge amount of stock in the UK. The black Friday deals were available on Amazon for multiple days without selling out. Whereas other countries sold out very fast.

I think stock was more limited in other countries and that best sales ever in UK may be an exception.

It might be up globally but I have a feeling the stock just isn't there for that.

Very great numbers for Switch and PS5.

CloudxTifa said:

Very great numbers for .. PS5.

Not really.

If we look back a few weeks, the XBox Series was hovering around 110k/week, the PS was hovering around 210k/week.

Now the X sold 330k and the PS5 sold 400k.

If we assume production is still hampered by chip shortages, it really is a puzzle why MS was able to increase numbers by a factor of three, Sony only by a factor of 1.9. In absolute numbers, MS increased production by 200k, Sony less, only by 180k. Puzzling to say the least.

(I also note the SX/PS5 gap actually decreased quite some amount...)