By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sells 750K, PS5 Sells 408K, and XS Sells 326K - Global Hardware Nov 14 to 20

Switch remains less than 10% down from one of the biggest years any system has ever had. Not bad at all.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

All Time Video Game Hardware Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 116,675,986 (116,600,000+ according to Sony) - Sept. 30st, 2021

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 95,459,805 (92,870,000 according to Nintendo) - Sept. 30th, 2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Switch has officially passed the 95 million mark, and is poised to pass the 96 million, maybe even 97, with the Black Friday numbers next week. Edit: The Switch has also passed 13 million units sold in the "Rest of the World" region and 22 million units in Japan!

PS4 continues to chug along. 

This year is Wii and PS1. Next year is PS4 and Game Boy. The 2 juggernauts at the top may or may not happen.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
PAOerfulone said:

All Time Video Game Hardware Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 116,675,986 (116,600,000+ according to Sony) - Sept. 30st, 2021

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 95,459,805 (92,870,000 according to Nintendo) - Sept. 30th, 2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Switch has officially passed the 95 million mark, and is poised to pass the 96 million, maybe even 97, with the Black Friday numbers next week. Edit: The Switch has also passed 13 million units sold in the "Rest of the World" region and 22 million units in Japan!

PS4 continues to chug along. 

This year is Wii and PS1. Next year is PS4 and Game Boy. The 2 juggernauts at the top may or may not happen.

That will depend largely on how good the Switch's legs are in Europe. In North America, Japan, and the Rest of the World, it's going to easily be one of the Top 3 best selling systems in each of those regions, if not #1. The system is hitting its stride in all three of those regions when it's already among the All Time Best sellers. 

But in Europe, it hasn't had quite the same levels of success. It's still selling very well, but it has only been a modest success compared to the other three regions, where it has been an absolute juggernaut.

curl-6 said:

Switch remains less than 10% down from one of the biggest years any system has ever had. Not bad at all.

Switch is doing incredibly well.  In fact, I am still of the mind that it would have been slightly up YoY had it not been for the chip shortage.  In the US, Switch has been in short supply ever since OLED launched, and I believe the story is similar in most regions.

The reason why we are hearing about the Switch having such an awesome Black Friday in the UK is that is one region that Switch had extra supply before Black Friday.  We would have been hearing these kinds of reports from all over the world had it not been for the chip shortage.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Switch is doing incredibly well.  In fact, I am still of the mind that it would have been slightly up YoY had it not been for the chip shortage.  In the US, Switch has been in short supply ever since OLED launched, and I believe the story is similar in most regions.

The reason why we are hearing about the Switch having such an awesome Black Friday in the UK is that is one region that Switch had extra supply before Black Friday.  We would have been hearing these kinds of reports from all over the world had it not been for the chip shortage.

Chip shortages have been reducing production since 2020, so if there were none, yes 2021 would have produced more, but so would 2020. I think that without chip shortages that Switch 2020 would have been a juggernaut no one will beat again.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

That will depend largely on how good the Switch's legs are in Europe. In North America, Japan, and the Rest of the World, it's going to easily be one of the Top 3 best selling systems in each of those regions, if not #1. The system is hitting its stride in all three of those regions when it's already among the All Time Best sellers. 

But in Europe, it hasn't had quite the same levels of success. It's still selling very well, but it has only been a modest success compared to the other three regions, where it has been an absolute juggernaut.

I think that the pricing for Switch in Europe is part of the issue. I have a feeling when/if Switch get's a significant price cut there will be a big boost. That said, I still think Switch has what it takes to crack the top 5 in Europe, but going any higher than 5 is a real uphill battle. 

Damn, UK must really be PlayStation country if PS5 is selling more than near peak Switch in its first year.

Dulfite said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Chip shortages have been reducing production since 2020, so if there were none, yes 2021 would have produced more, but so would 2020. I think that without chip shortages that Switch 2020 would have been a juggernaut no one will beat again.

I recall Switch hardware shortages being an issue during most of 2020, but I do not recall this being an issue during holiday 2020.  Do you have a source saying that Switch was in short supply during the holidays last year?  I did find an article that says Nintendo increased production by 20% last year to prepare for the holidays.  That makes it seem like there was enough Switch hardware available during the holidays last year.

https://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-switch-sales-should-be-smooth-sailing-for-holiday-shopping-2020-09637308/

Zippy6 said:

Damn, UK must really be PlayStation country if PS5 is selling more than near peak Switch in its first year.

The Switch is still way behind the Wii in the UK too.

Edit: double post

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 01 December 2021