By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Owners, how satisfied have you been with this first year?

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

New features have been something slowly introduced through the gen for PS4 as well so I don't think we can expect any different now, although for me they don't matter much.

Every new PlayStation generation they take my game folders away.

Seems like a feature they appreciate, makes you forget the games you have organized and buy new ones

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
hinch said:

Its been okay. Outside Ratchet, Astro, Miles Morales and some up ports/remasters FFVII Intergrade, GoW, Death Stranding DC, Control UE etc I haven't really played on it. Mainly been gaming on PC this year though the games for PS5 have been solid, if a little safe. Hardware wise, its a great machine as is the brilliant DualSense.

My peeves with though the slow trickling of features is a bit annoying like NVMe support and still no VRR. But yeah satisfied, but waiting on the big hitters and something truly 'next gen'. I'd give 8/10 for hardware and games 6/10. 7 overall. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair but coming off the excellent last few years of PS4 I think the lack of big releases from Sony 1st party done it for me, especially with Forbidden West delay. Next year is going to be nuts though.

Safe? How so? Returnal and Demon souls are the most next gen games on it and they are far from safe, they are hardcore games, niche games.

I don't see what's something truly next gen, apart from better graphics, 60fps, super fast loadings, ray tracing, what's a next gen game? 

DonFerrari said:
Conina said:

Every new PlayStation generation they take my game folders away.

Seems like a feature they appreciate, makes you forget the games you have organized and buy new ones

I cant complain, I know why they prefer not to have folders, to keep piracy at bay, and I'm all for it, as long as the console doesn't have piracy, developers will keep bringing great games.

What they could do instead of folders is having like the xbox, menu items you can choose, a games menu where you could organize by name, or by installed, they kinda have that but you still get apps mixed in there and games you already uninstalled or don't own anymore. Its a mess compared to xbox. So instead of folders, just make a menu like the xbox.

victor83fernandes said:
DonFerrari said:

I cant complain, I know why they prefer not to have folders, to keep piracy at bay, and I'm all for it, as long as the console doesn't have piracy, developers will keep bringing great games.

What they could do instead of folders is having like the xbox, menu items you can choose, a games menu where you could organize by name, or by installed, they kinda have that but you still get apps mixed in there and games you already uninstalled or don't own anymore. Its a mess compared to xbox. So instead of folders, just make a menu like the xbox.

Haven`t heard about folders on the PS4 allowing piracy, but if it did them it makes sense that they removed it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

victor83fernandes said:
DonFerrari said:

The "folders" on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita (or Xbox or iOS or Android or Steam...) don't change the internal file structure either. They are just virtual groups shown with a folder icon.

You tag the game with one or several attributes of your choice (f.e. "JRPG", "Favorites", "PSVR", "Exclusives", "Indie", "AAA", "PS+", "To Do", "Demos", "Physical", "Digital", "Horror") and games with the same attributes are shown in the same group. Ideally a game can be added to several groups this way (like on Steam or Xbox).

Sony could offer dynamic groups/filters which are automatically filled

- by PS Store data: release year, genre, theme, developer, publisher, single or multiplayer, PSVR or TV game, PS4 or PS5 game, Pro + PS5 enhancements for PS4 games, age filters, PS-exclusivity, "4K", "60 fps"...

- by the data of your licenses: physical (no digital license, disc has to be inserted), digital (unlimited license) or subscription (limited license), free to play, demo version...

- by the data of your trophies and play time: "new" (not played, 0% trophies), "your favorites" (games with 100+ hours playtime), "so close!" (90%+ of the trophies), "platinumed" (100% of the trophies)...

Last edited by Conina - on 02 December 2021

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:
hinch said:

Its been okay. Outside Ratchet, Astro, Miles Morales and some up ports/remasters FFVII Intergrade, GoW, Death Stranding DC, Control UE etc I haven't really played on it. Mainly been gaming on PC this year though the games for PS5 have been solid, if a little safe. Hardware wise, its a great machine as is the brilliant DualSense.

My peeves with though the slow trickling of features is a bit annoying like NVMe support and still no VRR. But yeah satisfied, but waiting on the big hitters and something truly 'next gen'. I'd give 8/10 for hardware and games 6/10. 7 overall. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair but coming off the excellent last few years of PS4 I think the lack of big releases from Sony 1st party done it for me, especially with Forbidden West delay. Next year is going to be nuts though.

Safe? How so? Returnal and Demon souls are the most next gen games on it and they are far from safe, they are hardcore games, niche games.

I don't see what's something truly next gen, apart from better graphics, 60fps, super fast loadings, ray tracing, what's a next gen game? 

If you count 1st party titles released this year about a third of them are remakes or remasters. As for actual tech and games.. Returnal looks fine, nothing mind blowing or something that couldn't that really couldn't be done on PS4 given that concessions will be made if - like GI RT and effects. Demons Souls the same. While impressive, its still a redo of an old PS3 title. Then you have Ratchet (which was great), GoT and DS Directors cut are decent games but not really pushing the boat out. They were banking on Horizon coming this Holiday but with 'you know what' its understandable.

By 'next gen' I mean stuff that really couldn't be done on last generation consoles at least without major concessions to visual effects and to some extent gameplay. Like lets say when we had the PS4 launch we had that with Killzone SF and Infamous SS. I mean.. don't get me wrong its a been a good year for games (and I would put it there with the best PS launch ever), but personally it didn't quite do it for me this year as least i terms of new and exciting exclusives.

Last edited by hinch - on 02 December 2021

hinch said:
victor83fernandes said:

If you count 1st party titles released this year about a third of them are remakes or remasters. As for actual tech and games.. Returnal looks fine, nothing mind blowing or something that couldn't that really couldn't be done on PS4 given that concessions will be made if - like GI RT and effects. Demons Souls the same. While impressive, its still a redo of an old PS3 title. Then you have Ratchet (which was great), GoT and DS Directors cut are decent games but not really pushing the boat out. They were banking on Horizon coming this Holiday but with 'you know what' its understandable.

By 'next gen' I mean stuff that really couldn't be done on last generation consoles at least without major concessions to visual effects and to some extent gameplay. Like lets say when we had the PS4 launch we had that with Killzone SF and Infamous SS. I mean.. don't get me wrong its a been a good year for games (and I would put it there with the best PS launch ever), but personally it didn't quite do it for me this year as least i terms of new and exciting exclusives.

It would have been quite hard if not impossible to put R&C on PS4 without major cuts.

Loved my first year. Probably the best launch year of any console I've owned.

Played Godfall, Astrobot and Demon Souls at launch followed by Cyberpunk, Returnal and Judgement.

Played Ratchet and Clank, Frozen Wilds, Miles, Valhallah, and am currently loving Lost Judgement and Guardians.

I know some are cross gen, but the fps boost, resolution boost and any extra features helps.

Great Gen and that's with Horizon getting delayed and Ghostwire: Tokyo

Still need to pick Sackboy too.

I got mine in july . Has been great. I haven't touched astro bot, ratchet, returnal, demons, spiderman. My built for ps5 games have been piling. I've been playing catch up on games that released on ps4, though I love the 60fps and quick loading. Everything feels so fast and fluid. However I have played games optimised for ps5 such as yakuza, metro exodus ( impressive ray tracing and haptics), ghost of tsushima.

Love the user interface, quick changes between games and media. Also happy with the increased storafge up from the ps4, double I think. I probably have 15 games installed on ps5, which is a big jump. Just recently swapped the face plates to dbrand, the original ones before the legal trouble. I love both the original white and the black skins.

so far 60 fps is a game changer, wasn't used it on ps4 much, I can enjoy all the heavy moments without the screen tearing. See more detail. Feel better. Loading is the next game changer, and I feel it will play a big part while playing massive open world rpgs. I expect I will be in for a surprise when I load up ratchet or returnal. Good times ahead.

I kept thinking something was wrong with Ratchet, why isn't it loading. It loads so fast it feels broken lol. I hope more games get that optimized loading. FS2020 takes over 3 minutes to get to the menu screen on my NVME SSD.

I do wonder why they had to change everything slightly. Managing captures for example, and where did the 'played together' list go to. And HDR video capture still looks awful. But I do like you can select the length of the clip to save now when you save a clip, instead of a system setting.