By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Owners, how satisfied have you been with this first year?

DonFerrari said:
victor83fernandes said:

I cant complain, I know why they prefer not to have folders, to keep piracy at bay, and I'm all for it, as long as the console doesn't have piracy, developers will keep bringing great games.

What they could do instead of folders is having like the xbox, menu items you can choose, a games menu where you could organize by name, or by installed, they kinda have that but you still get apps mixed in there and games you already uninstalled or don't own anymore. Its a mess compared to xbox. So instead of folders, just make a menu like the xbox.

Haven`t heard about folders on the PS4 allowing piracy, but if it did them it makes sense that they removed it.

I never said folders allow piracy. I said it could open more paths to allow piracy.

Folders are not needed to be honest, just proper menus.

Around the Network
Conina said:
victor83fernandes said:

I cant complain, I know why they prefer not to have folders, to keep piracy at bay, and I'm all for it, as long as the console doesn't have piracy, developers will keep bringing great games.

What they could do instead of folders is having like the xbox, menu items you can choose, a games menu where you could organize by name, or by installed, they kinda have that but you still get apps mixed in there and games you already uninstalled or don't own anymore. Its a mess compared to xbox. So instead of folders, just make a menu like the xbox.

The "folders" on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita (or Xbox or iOS or Android or Steam...) don't change the internal file structure either. They are just virtual groups shown with a folder icon.

You tag the game with one or several attributes of your choice (f.e. "JRPG", "Favorites", "PSVR", "Exclusives", "Indie", "AAA", "PS+", "To Do", "Demos", "Physical", "Digital", "Horror") and games with the same attributes are shown in the same group. Ideally a game can be added to several groups this way (like on Steam or Xbox).

Sony could offer dynamic groups/filters which are automatically filled

- by PS Store data: release year, genre, theme, developer, publisher, single or multiplayer, PSVR or TV game, PS4 or PS5 game, Pro + PS5 enhancements for PS4 games, age filters, PS-exclusivity, "4K", "60 fps"...

- by the data of your licenses: physical (no digital license, disc has to be inserted), digital (unlimited license) or subscription (limited license), free to play, demo version...

- by the data of your trophies and play time: "new" (not played, 0% trophies), "your favorites" (games with 100+ hours playtime), "so close!" (90%+ of the trophies), "platinumed" (100% of the trophies)...

hinch said:
victor83fernandes said:

Safe? How so? Returnal and Demon souls are the most next gen games on it and they are far from safe, they are hardcore games, niche games.

I don't see what's something truly next gen, apart from better graphics, 60fps, super fast loadings, ray tracing, what's a next gen game? 

If you count 1st party titles released this year about a third of them are remakes or remasters. As for actual tech and games.. Returnal looks fine, nothing mind blowing or something that couldn't that really couldn't be done on PS4 given that concessions will be made if - like GI RT and effects. Demons Souls the same. While impressive, its still a redo of an old PS3 title. Then you have Ratchet (which was great), GoT and DS Directors cut are decent games but not really pushing the boat out. They were banking on Horizon coming this Holiday but with 'you know what' its understandable.

By 'next gen' I mean stuff that really couldn't be done on last generation consoles at least without major concessions to visual effects and to some extent gameplay. Like lets say when we had the PS4 launch we had that with Killzone SF and Infamous SS. I mean.. don't get me wrong its a been a good year for games (and I would put it there with the best PS launch ever), but personally it didn't quite do it for me this year as least i terms of new and exciting exclusives.

You must be in need of glasses, I have a powerful PC and I can say Returnal, demon souls, ratchet, even other games look like a big jump from base ps4. Even matching or surpassing anything I've seen on my PC that cost me 1700 dollars and that I had to build it myself.

Killzone SF and infamous could be done on ps3 with worse graphics, there was nothing next gen to it besides graphics, same on the ps5, graphics but this time is even more difference because of the ultra fast loadings and much faster FPS. Remember uncharted 3? Last of us? Those were nice graphics on ps3, the ps4 launch games were really not that impressive.

Not to mention the amount of excellent games this year such as resident evil 8, assassins creed Valhalla, far cry 6, scarlet nexus and many more, its been a great year for gaming and for the ps5.

This generation is even better than the ps4 launch because not only we get backwards compatibility with many games having upgrades, we also get remasters of better games such as spiderman, ghosts of tsushima, death stranding, etc.

Go back and check what we had with the first year of ps4. Killzone was disappointing, infamous, while great was not as good as the previous ones in the series, driveclub was ok, but not GT or forza, it was just an ok arcade game, there's nothing I can remember from the first year of ps4, it was very poor indeed compared to the ps5.

Then we get a major improved controller, bigger jump than ps3 to ps4. Then we get a quiet fan, I remember getting the ps4 and the fan was louder than ps3, so in some ways it was a downgrade, also ps3 had better materials, better build quality, and the controller battery was better than the ps4.

Not this time, this time I feel the upgrade, SSD, better build quality both console and controller, better vibration tech, adaptive triggers, better battery on controller, backwards compatibility and better games overall.

Last edited by victor83fernandes - on 02 December 2021

Yeah not going to argue over this. Been gaming through multiple generations. That includes PC. So FPS increase and resolutions or whatever hardware isn't what I buy consoles for. its the games. For you it might be for different things but in any case.. maybe contribute to thread rather than attacking people's opinions? /shrug.

Last edited by hinch - on 02 December 2021

Sigh oh my goodness... where to start.

Since i got 8 PS5 games. They are FFVIIR, DMC5 Special Edition, RE: Village, Judgment, Lost Judgment, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers and Spider-Man Miles Morales, i have to say they're technically upgraded from PS4 version ready on the discs. It's essential great deal for people who don't have high speed download rate yet. Straight forward to the next gen and you're good to go.

I was super lucky i bought them for below MSRP. If they weren't cheap, i would've bought the PS4 version instead, i'm good with playing 30fps anyway since i recently owned Yakuza Like A Dragon PS4 version surely my internet speed is fast enough to download a PS5 version, well i dunno, maybe depends on my mood.

I'm not big fan of their first party games honestly, although i enjoyed playing third party games on my PS5 with low fan noise.

d21lewis said:

I'll focus my energy on getting a PS5 in 2022 but it's crazy how little buzz both 9th gen systems have had this year. They sell well but there have been days where the entire front page on Vgchartz have no mention of them. I'm still excited, though. There are some cross gen games that I want to see at full glory and I'm dying to finally get my hands on Astro!

I tend to disagree there has been plenty of front page 9th gen news, what you may have noticed is less consistency due to the general disruption that's occurred in the industry since covid hit so what you see is the peaks and troughs of a normal year being magnified, usually late February- May sees an influx of new season games then things quieten down during the Northern hemisphere summer apart from the sugar hit from E3 then Sept things pick up again along with the holiday period but more and more that post Christmas period seems to be growing as a preferred release for big titles especially for Sony's first party and the end of the year while still having big releases many are annual and while they sell the buzz isn't quite there like it once was when the last quarter was king of major releases that we may have waited four or more years for and this year with even more games than usual being pushed into 2022 that has lessened the day to day build up.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 02 December 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:

I'll focus my energy on getting a PS5 in 2022 but it's crazy how little buzz both 9th gen systems have had this year. They sell well but there have been days where the entire front page on Vgchartz have no mention of them. I'm still excited, though. There are some cross gen games that I want to see at full glory and I'm dying to finally get my hands on Astro!

I tend to disagree there has been plenty of front page 9th gen news, what you may have noticed is less consistency due to the general disruption that's occurred in the industry since covid hit so what you see is the peaks and troughs of a normal year being magnified, usually late February- May sees an influx of new season games then things quieten down during the Northern hemisphere summer apart from the sugar hit from E3 then Sept things pick up again along with the holiday period but more and more that post Christmas period seems to be growing as a preferred release for big titles especially for Sony's first party and the end of the year while still having big releases many are annual and while they sell the buzz isn't quite there like it once was when the last quarter was king of major releases that we may have waited four or more years for and this year with even more games than usual being pushed into 2022 that has lessened the day to day build up.

I think COVID played a large part, too. And, for me, not being able to just walk in the store and buy one really killed much of my interest. I barely bought any games in the last year and most of what I played this year were games I'd beaten countless times before. My hardware felt old and outdated and the new systems were out of reach so I lost interest. But I do feel the excitement rising. It's tangible.

There were specific days where I would look at the forum and say to myself "there are absolutely no posts about the PS5/XS.", though. I even commented as much on a couple of occasions in various threads. But then again, interaction on this site seems to be at all time low, as well. Yes, there's always news in other corners of the internet but it often failed to hook me. I was actually afraid I was going to give up the hobby.

I wound up filling the void with action figures. 

Goddam action figures. I spent thousands!

d21lewis said:
mjk45 said:

I think COVID played a large part, too. And, for me, not being able to just walk in the store and buy one really killed much of my interest. I barely bought any games in the last year and most of what I played this year were games I'd beaten countless times before. My hardware felt old and outdated and the new systems were out of reach so I lost interest. But I do feel the excitement rising. It's tangible.

There were specific days where I would look at the forum and say to myself "there are absolutely no posts about the PS5/XS.", though. I even commented as much on a couple of occasions in various threads. But then again, interaction on this site seems to be at all time low, as well. Yes, there's always news in other corners of the internet but it often failed to hook me. I was actually afraid I was going to give up the hobby.

What's your favourite doll, I mean fully articulated action figure.

mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:

I don't know why I even entertain you! ? 

But the answer is ZD Toys Iron Man Mark VII. I just like looking at it. It never gets old. My entire man cave is basically a 12 year old's dream come true. Just toys, swords, and comic book merchandise everywhere. It's embarrassingly awesome.

But when I finally get my PS5 and XS, all will be right with the world. Crazy part: I'm still most excited to play my PS4 and Xbox One games on new hardware than anything else. My first PS5 game will be Kena. Of course I can play it right now but where's the fun in that?

d21lewis said:
mjk45 said:

I don't know why I even entertain you! 😂 

But the answer is ZD Toys Iron Man Mark VII. I just like looking at it. It never gets old. My entire man cave is basically a 12 year old's dream come true. Just toys, swords, and comic book merchandise everywhere. It's embarrassingly awesome.

But when I finally get my PS5 and XS, all will be right with the world. Crazy part: I'm still most excited to play my PS4 and Xbox One games on new hardware than anything else. My first PS5 game will be Kena. Of course I can play it right now but where's the fun in that?

Is the Iron Man Mark VII rare  and your right about the 12 year olds dream it is the same for me I remember wanting  the top of the line scalectrix slot car set and accessories as a child and while my parents indulgence meant I ended up a with a matchbox car collection in the hundreds many rare including buildings like a fire station and garage and enough Lego's to build anything I could imagine ,somehow the slot car set was to big for Santa to get it down the chimney.

But at Eighteen with money of my own and armed with a rising appreciation of my parents stemming from now knowing the cost, what do you think was sitting wrapped under that Christmas tree with a card attached that read Merry Christmas to me and fuck you Santa, suffice to say the 12 year old finally got is dream.

Now to important matters you know why you entertain me its because you ❤ me and my fully articulated body.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 03 December 2021

mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:

I don't know why I even entertain you! 😂 

Is the Iron Man Mark VII rare  and your right about the 12 year olds dream it is the same for me I remember wanting  a scalectrix slot car set as a child and while my parents indulgence meant I ended up a with a matchbox car collection in the hundreds many rare including buildings like a fire station and garage and enough Lego's to build anything I could imagine ,somehow the slot car set was to big for Santa to get it down the chimney.

But at Eighteen with money of my own and armed with a rising appreciation of my parents stemming from now knowing the cost, what do you think was sitting wrapped under that Christmas tree with a card attached that read Merry Christmas to me and fuck you Santa, suffice to say the 12 year old finally got is dream.

Now to important matters you know why you entertain me its because you ❤ me and my fully articulated body.

Nah. It's not rare. It's just only available overseas and it's cooler than anything we have in stores over here.

I like your appreciation for what your parents had to go through to make you happy on Christmas. Actually makes me wanna call my mom and tell her thank you.

And now I have the sudden urge to find a Mipha action figure...